Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 11-10-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
Fast & Filthy

Default Transmission Bolts

So the Cobra had a set of aftermarket headlights on it for the past 5-6 years. I know this has nothing to do with the title but I'll get to that. Anyways, the other day I noticed that one of the plastic covers had fallen off. So I called up GTR and then picked up a new pair of the same ones I had bought from them before.

Last night I installed the new headlights. After adjusting them I decided to fix the rattle in the exhaust because I thought that it had come loose enough to have moved a little. I loosened up all the bolts and then put a jack under the X-pipe to hold it up where I wanted it. When I started lifting it I noticed that the transmission started to lift. When I checked the rear mount it was missing the bolts that mount it to the trans. Only the one that holds it to the crossmember was still there. I had two bolts that fit so I re-aligned everything and bolted it back up.

The moral of the story is to check bolts and nuts every once in a while because they do come loose.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Good tip. I think this might be especially true for any aftermarket parts installed. Tolerances and installation procedures may not be as tight as OE. I have two bolts in a AM rear suspension piece that love to work themselves loose, no matter how much I torque them down with loctite. The tap is probably ever so slightly a bit loose.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-10-2009, 06:45 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I heard a piece of metal drop out of my car on the DC cruise. Then a suspension squeak. Had a bunch of Vette guys looking over my car, could never figure it out.

Drove the car for a few months.

Got underneath it for something... noticed one of the two lower control arm bushings/ bolts was missing... yeah.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:52 AM   #4
Fast & Filthy

You did fix it already, right?
Old 11-11-2009, 09:33 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Haha, you don't have very much faith in me do you? Energy was actually very cool about it, they sent me a free bushing/ cup to replace.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:48 AM   #6
Fast & Filthy

I had a picture in my head of Duck Tape, zip ties and bushings made from the bottoms of aluminum cans.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
I had a picture in my head of Duck Tape, zip ties and bushings made from the bottoms of aluminum cans.
C'mon I'm cheap but I'm not Glenn! You made me laugh out loud in contracts class.