Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 12-08-2009, 12:58 AM   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by axotlprogeny View Post
I also think the SV650 is a great starter bike. You can't go wrong with a light v-twin that's not too tall. I have a '88 Honda NT650. the SV650 is a modern version of my bike.

Like was previously said, the SV650 has plenty of low end torque so you are always in the right gear. My brother has a CBR600F4i and I can feel the weight of the bike on turn-in compared to mine. After riding a bike with a v-twin, it's hard to go back to an I4. Plus SVs are cheap enough that you won't feel too bad if you drop it.

Buells are nice niche bikes, but they still rely on old harley tech so I am not sure about their reliability or leak tightness (not trying to start a flame war or anything, promise.) The Buell Blast is a nice starter bike, but it's pretty small and is more sized for a small woman. Plus, for the same price, you can go with the Ninja 250 (which has been the same bike for almost 30 years!)

RC-51, Oh how I desire thee...
Aren't all of those Buells air cooled? I will never buy another air cooled motor. Or a two stroke while we're at it. Only liquid cooled 4 strokes and 1/3 strokes for me.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:59 AM   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by heypal View Post
I'm to tired to right a big ass paragraph about the sv650 and how great it is. Do a little google search on that bad boy and tell me its not awesome for a beginner bike...Just saying. And for the record my gsxr1000 gets 42mpg last time I checked and there is a few 180mph sprints on that tank...Like 2 I was trying to see what is my best and well there it is 42mpg hahhahah...I normally get about 130 miles 3.5 gallons hell once I did 90 and 4 gallons its all in how you ride. My old 600 was a 50mpg monster till I milled the head, did cams, so on and so on. I also do 80% highway so thats why my numbers are higher. I get in the 30's in the city.
That's good to hear, thought they were way bad on gas. But then again, I would prob drive it hard everywhere once I got comfortable.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:14 AM   #13
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Aren't all of those Buells air cooled? I will never buy another air cooled motor. Or a two stroke while we're at it. Only liquid cooled 4 strokes and 1/3 strokes for me.
My Bandit is oil cooled (4 stroke of course) and it's just fine. I think it might be a hoot to ride one of the 500cc two stroke bikes from the 90s (Japan only).

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-08-2009, 02:15 AM   #14
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
And for the record my gsxr1000 gets 42mpg last time I checked and there is a few 180mph sprints on that tank...
You doing 180 in/on anything is the definition of terror.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-08-2009, 03:05 AM   #15
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
My Bandit is oil cooled (4 stroke of course) and it's just fine. I think it might be a hoot to ride one of the 500cc two stroke bikes from the 90s (Japan only).
I owned a 420cc 2 stroke. Couldn't keep the front wheel on the ground in first gear. Seriously.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:57 PM   #16
FWD = FAIL

Quote:
They are air cooled and they are great stunting bikes very balanced. I have a friend that started on one and he likes it. But its a Harley...Hope your a good mechanic lol. They aren't that bad but you get the idea.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:58 PM   #17
FWD = FAIL

Quote:
That's good to hear, thought they were way bad on gas. But then again, I would prob drive it hard everywhere once I got comfortable.
You also have to remember efi comes into play this that the other thing and bike maintenance is a big deal also.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:58 PM   #18
FWD = FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
You doing 180 in/on anything is the definition of terror.
That a fat joke?
Old 12-09-2009, 12:53 AM   #19
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
That a fat joke?
It's a you joke.

That top end Buell is like 150HP (and mad torque obviously) and 370lbs. That's gotta be kinda fun.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-09-2009, 10:50 PM   #20
FWD = FAIL

They are fun not going to deny that one. And yeah your right me 180mph...SCARY.