Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 09-19-2008, 12:06 AM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default Scorpion Helmet

So I'll be getting my first bike and I need a brain bucket. I kind of like the way this helmet and the price fits my budget, but are Scorpion helmets worth dooky?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 09-19-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
So I'll be getting my first bike and I need a brain bucket. I kind of like the way this helmet and the price fits my budget, but are Scorpion helmets worth dooky?
What's the Snell rating on it? As long as it is 2005 it's good.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:38 AM   #3
I, Vettezuki

I thought motorcycle helmets really only went by DOT ratings, and only a few have the additional Snell cert.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 09-19-2008, 10:02 AM   #4
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
I thought motorcycle helmets really only went by DOT ratings, and only a few have the additional Snell cert.
Eric has been looking to buy a new helmet and all that he looked at Snell 2005 or M2005. I know that one of my helmets that I bought a couple years ago from a Yamaha dealer is M2000 which is what they currently require to race at CSW. I heard next year though that they are going to reguire the 2005 rating.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:05 AM   #5
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Eric has been looking to buy a new helmet and all that he looked at Snell 2005 or M2005. I know that one of my helmets that I bought a couple years ago from a Yamaha dealer is M2000 which is what they currently require to race at CSW. I heard next year though that they are going to reguire the 2005 rating.
Mm, does that mean My Snell 2005 HJC I bought for the car is legit for the bike? I'll have to check the field of vision. I thought maybe the bike helmets were lighter (don't need as much fire protection) and were more ventilated (same reason) and had broader field of vision, critical for bikes.

I don't mind buying a new helmet for the bike, but by the same token, if the one I have is appropriate, no need to spend additional money.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 09-19-2008, 10:34 AM   #6
Fast & Filthy

I have two helmets, the one that I bought at the Yamaha dealer and then one that I bought at LACR because I forgot to take my other helmet. Both have the same amount of vents and both are Snell/M2000. However, the one I bought at the track has a little wide field of vision then the one I bought at the Yamaha dealer.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:21 PM   #7
I, Vettezuki

This is the helmet I have and I rather like it. It has a SA-2005 rating, but seems to be classified as an Auto Racing Helmet and no mention of being legit for Motorcycles. The only thing I can think of why it's not maybe so ideal is rather modest ventillation.

HJC AR10

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 09-19-2008, 11:49 PM   #8
Fast & Filthy

I got this info off of the Snell web site.

What are the differences between the SA, M and K standards?
The SA standard was designed for competitive auto racing while M standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. The K standard was released to accommodate helmets used in karting. There are three major differences between them:
The SA standard requires flammability test while the M and K standards do not.
The SA and K standards allow for a narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA and K certified helmets may not be street legal).
The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi impact test while M standard does not.

Looks like you need an M2005 rated helmet.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:12 AM   #9
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
I got this info off of the Snell web site.

What are the differences between the SA, M and K standards?
The SA standard was designed for competitive auto racing while M standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. The K standard was released to accommodate helmets used in karting. There are three major differences between them:
The SA standard requires flammability test while the M and K standards do not.
The SA and K standards allow for a narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA and K certified helmets may not be street legal).
The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi impact test while M standard does not.

Looks like you need an M2005 rated helmet.

Thanks man. Even the MSF guide was a little ambiguous. This is not. Just gonna get an M helmet. Which brand is Eric going with?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)