Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 06-17-2011, 12:25 AM   #1
pain's fun, hit me again

Default My other pony "Dedicated Service"

So the time has come to finally pull the stock engine out of my 87 which i placed there for inspection and smog purposes temporary far too long ago. I originally planned a F1c power dart 347 that quickly was changed to a 600rwp N/A 347 since i did not want to deal with heat soak, then i came to the realization that a $20k motor was just not a smart thing to do and sold the dart motor to help with purchasing my new truck.

I then started the most inexpensive budget build i could using stuff i bought off CL/Corral/etc Finally on friday of last week i dropped everything off at the machine shop for work and assembly, normally I would build it myself but Shawn(my engine builder) said he wouldnt charge me extra to assemble the motor since he needs to do the clearancing for the crank, boring for the pistons, porting, head rebuild, tapping the block to 1/2" etc etc. All for the measly price of $600, which is nothing by todays standards of engine work. Considering im getting very extensive porting done to the heads, port matching done to my intake and changing the block to 1/2" threads.

So here is the plan for the engine, starting at the intake and working my way down.

Edelbrock RPMII Intake (custom powder coated) $350
Comp Cams Magnum roller rockers $350 (christmas present)
Comp Cams .105 wall pushrods $180 (christmas present)
Morel Link Bar lifters $350
Ed Curtis custom grind cam .373/.359 230*/240* 113/110 $350
Scat 347 "long" block and AFR 185 heads $1100
Stock Block $ Being Rons powder coating bitch
Race coated pistons rings, main bearings, and rod bearings $165
Melling high volume oil pump $45 (left over from my engine sale)
Procomp Head Studs $35
Procomp main studs $35
Procomp 7/16 rocker studs $35
MLS Head gaskets $65 (2)
Main Seal $15
Misc gasket set $85

Puts me at $3225(not bad) for major engine parts, i still need a few things like injectors, MAF, water pump and the like but those wont take long

Here is a picture of my parts shelves before i went over there

Hoping for 400rwhp minimum but my lofty goals would be 450rwhp

Going into this

I'll keep y'all updated
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!

Old 06-17-2011, 12:47 AM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Cool! I look forward to getting back to the Vette someday and get up towards 440WHP (I'm 390whp now with some easy power on the table with headers and a retune). Probably by the time I get to it it'll be what a stock Accord has.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 06-17-2011, 01:41 AM   #3
pain's fun, hit me again

Yeah 450 will be easy for an LS1 not so much for a naturally aspirated sbf
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!

Old 06-17-2011, 01:55 AM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
Yeah 450 will be easy for an LS1 not so much for a naturally aspirated sbf
It's the boundary for a smog legal LS1. Mine is measured as a 2001 F Body, which is a ULEV. My 114LSA 224/224 cam is as big as you can get. BUT from where I'm at, headers and reworked exhaust, rockers and lifters, I think 430~ is plausible. I'm 3,100 lbs full wet, so that's not shabby. And in a chassis designed in the late 50s offers plenty of opportunity for amusement (fear).

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 06-17-2011, 02:38 AM   #5
pain's fun, hit me again

My car weighed 2950 with me before this motor, now with aluminum heads and removing whats left of the insulation on the firewall i missed i should be down to 2850 or less with driver. Means either way i'll be cresting tens if i launch off the limiter

Had i not extensively upgraded the chassis im sure it would scare the shit out of me

Stopping the world!

Old 06-17-2011, 03:18 AM   #6
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
My car weighed 2950 with me before this motor, now with aluminum heads and removing whats left of the insulation on the firewall i missed i should be down to 2850 or less with driver. Means either way i'll be cresting tens if i launch off the limiter

Had i not extensively upgraded the chassis im sure it would scare the shit out of me
I might have another 100lbs total relatively easy weight to reduce. but I can't get down as far as you without really going nuts. However, the good part is that a huge amount of that is unsprung, so the benefits are substantial. I still dig my radio, A/C, etc., I'm looking for a sexy, but relatively comfortable cruiser/brawler with both straight line and handling performance. A por mans', American flavored, Ferrari if you will. I'll get there someday.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 06-17-2011, 08:26 AM   #7
pain's fun, hit me again

Thats how i envision my car, but i have no heat, a/c, sound insulation etc. But i have gotten the car to pull a 1.1g with the nt05's and a 1.34 using an autometer dpic gauge. Not too shabby for an old mustang

Stopping the world!

Old 06-17-2011, 10:03 AM   #8

There is a fine line between exhilarating and having the shit scared out of you. That sounds like a beastly build. I am impatiently waiting for updates haha.

The Race Car lol: 2004 Cadillac CTS-V... With things.

Better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #9
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

What compression ratio are you going to run?

Old 06-17-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
pain's fun, hit me again

Depending on how far the piston is in the bore, and actual volume of the heads etc Anywhere from 10.88:1 to 11.2:1

Stopping the world!