Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 06-13-2012, 12:25 AM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default Engine Build Challenge: Spec a an LS9 equivalent for <$15k

Here's a challenge, probably not too hard, but on the margin.

Including computer and dry sump setup, spec an LS9 equivalent LS based motor. 650BHP on pump gas, dead reliable day in day out with street manors, ready to drop, intake to pan for <= $15k all in.

Parts can be from any vendor.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-13-2012, 12:35 AM   #2
pain's fun, hit me again

NA or boosted?
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 06-13-2012, 12:48 AM   #3
I, Vettezuki

Assumed boost like LS9. Mild manors under normal street driving.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #4

It looks like most ls3's can take about 650 hp with mostly stock stuff, I think 650 is very mild when it comes to this and can be done easily for under 10K I think most people can do it for about 7 -8K. (starting from nothing)
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20
Old 06-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
pain's fun, hit me again

Assuming you use a used engine, i think he meant all new parts. Which would include the motor.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 06-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #6
I, Vettezuki

I don't mean just somehow manage to make 650BHP. I mean make everyday, zero bullshit "hey look at the power I'm making for a week", I mean OEM level turn the key and go for years. I also don't mean make 650 BHP with a giant obnoxious cam etc. What the OEMs are doing now in these power ranges, reliably, and with mild street manors .. and passing smog is mighty impressive. Just making power is not hard. The whole package is more challenging.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
pain's fun, hit me again

Ls7 with single piece valves and a small turbo will pass smog and easily make 650bhp, likely more. Cam swap alone yield 600rwhp

Stopping the world!
Old 06-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #8

You can make 650 with out a huge cam on stock internals for a good long time (100K miles), But if you add forged rod and pistons to the mix you take out all chance of something breaking. (the crank can take way more then 650 (more like 800 - 850)

You can build it for less then 10K with new parts.

Here is one being sold for 12K pre-built

http://www.schwankeshortblocks.com/s...i=97380&c=1070
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20
Old 06-13-2012, 11:42 AM   #9
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackax View Post
You can make 650 with out a huge cam on stock internals for a good long time (100K miles), But if you add forged rod and pistons to the mix you take out all chance of something breaking. (the crank can take way more then 650 (more like 800 - 850)

You can build it for less then 10K with new parts.

Here is one being sold for 12K pre-built

http://www.schwankeshortblocks.com/s...i=97380&c=1070
Looks like a big cam used race motor.

Engine was run 12 races in USAC Western Series.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #10

The biggest price on an ls3 build would be the Dry Sump

and because you didn't say anything about weight you can always go with an LQ9 block (iron truck block)

Basic prices

Block 1000 - 1500
forged internals 1000 - 1500
heads 1500 - 2000
Cam 150 - 300
Dry Sump 2000 - 4500

If we leave is NA we could get 550 to 600 no problem the last 50 might be a little harder and still make it nice on the road

I would say skip the dry sump and get a TVS 2300 its still under 10K and we can go over 650
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20