Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 04-01-2013, 01:02 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Resistor in series with IAT sensor

So, there are a few companies like JET that sell resistors to replace the IAT so the engine thinks its cold and richens the air fuel mixture (with the intent to make more power).

So, heres my question, would it be possible to add a resistor inline with the IAT sensor to increase the resistance slightly leaning out the air fuel ratio (with the hope to make gas mileage better)?

Example: Suppose the IAT reads between 5k ohms (cold) and 8k ohms (hot). If you added a 1k resistor in series with the resistor, (I would use a wideband to see how it affected it) you might be able to lean it out right? Or run one in parallel to decrease if the resistance was inverse to temp.

Or would the O2 sensor reading just adjust for this?
Old 04-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
So, there are a few companies like JET that sell resistors to replace the IAT so the engine thinks its cold and richens the air fuel mixture (with the intent to make more power).

So, heres my question, would it be possible to add a resistor inline with the IAT sensor to increase the resistance slightly leaning out the air fuel ratio (with the hope to make gas mileage better)?

Example: Suppose the IAT reads between 5k ohms (cold) and 8k ohms (hot). If you added a 1k resistor in series with the resistor, (I would use a wideband to see how it affected it) you might be able to lean it out right? Or run one in parallel to decrease if the resistance was inverse to temp.

Or would the O2 sensor reading just adjust for this?
I've seen hits like this on Ebay so it should work. But shouldn't you really make the change in the PCM/ECU?
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20
Old 04-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Yes, yes you should, haha.

Seems the o2 sensor would just correct it and operate on a different scale after all. Cars are too damn smart nowadays
Old 04-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #4

Why not just put the AIT sensor in a different location like right at the air filter? Quite a few guys do that on the GTO forums. Thy say the MAF sensors heat soak and that throws it off.

Boost, because sometimes atmospheric pressure just isn't enough.

"If it has tit's or tires, you can be pretty sure your going to have problems with them..."
Old 05-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian View Post
Why not just put the AIT sensor in a different location like right at the air filter? Quite a few guys do that on the GTO forums. Thy say the MAF sensors heat soak and that throws it off.
That's a good idea for improving hp with a richer mixture, but if anything it would make your fuel economy worse.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:24 PM   #6

The GTO guys say they do it because the MAF sensor heat soaks therefore the IAT reads warmer than what it really is. My guess is that it reads more accurately. But depending on if you are running a bit rich or a bit lean, a resistor would work for you.

When I was building my HHO cell, during my research, a lot of guys were running resistors in their upstream O2 sensor to do the same thing.

Boost, because sometimes atmospheric pressure just isn't enough.

"If it has tit's or tires, you can be pretty sure your going to have problems with them..."