Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 08-21-2009, 02:17 AM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default Ford Small Block 427?

Is there such a thing, including aftermarket blocks? For example the LS7 is 427ci, but is basically a SBC package. Please to advise.

Reason (Just dreaming ahead).

I prefer the body styling of the (Superformance) GT40 Mark I to the Mark II. However, the Mark I was designed for the 289 and can take up to (I think) a 351W. The Mark II was the bad boy with a 427, but I *think* that was a BBF no?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-21-2009, 09:11 AM   #2
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Is there such a thing, including aftermarket blocks? For example the LS7 is 427ci, but is basically a SBC package. Please to advise.

Reason (Just dreaming ahead).

I prefer the body styling of the (Superformance) GT40 Mark I to the Mark II. However, the Mark I was designed for the 289 and can take up to (I think) a 351W. The Mark II was the bad boy with a 427, but I *think* that was a BBF no?
Yes, there is a Windsor block (351w) that World sells (also complete engines ) that can go to 427.

Small bore increase and long stroke increase.

My first pick for a FORD SB 427.

We sell World products now. Complete engines in the future.

Mark II had FE 427 BBF side oiler. Great frinking engine.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 08-21-2009, 09:18 AM   #3
Neanderthal

Are you really thinking of going this way? I have been for years.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 08-21-2009, 09:34 AM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
Are you really thinking of going this way? I have been for years.
Yes. But the window is out a couple years and depends on business, etc.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-21-2009, 09:35 AM   #5
Fast & Filthy

Roush also makes 427 crate engines http://www.roushperformance.com/engines/engines.shtml. My boss has the 427R in his Superformance Cobra.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Roush also makes 427 crate engines http://www.roushperformance.com/engines/engines.shtml. My boss has the 427R in his Superformance Cobra.
Lucky guy
Old 08-21-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

I always liked this Ford 427:

427 SOHC "Cammer"

SOHC engine showing cam, rockers and timing chainsThe Ford Single Overhead Cam (SOHC) 427 V8 engine, familiarly known as the "Cammer",[19] was released in 1964 to recapture NASCAR dominance from the Chrysler 426 Hemi engine. The Chrysler 426 used extremely large block casting that dwarfed the earlier 392 Hemi. The Ford 427 block was closer dimensionally to the early Hemis than to the elephantine 426 Hemi: the Ford FE bore spacing was 4.63 in (117.6 mm) compared to the Chrysler 392's bore spacing of 4.5625 in (115.9 mm). The Ford FE's deck height of 10.17 in (258.3 mm) was lower than that of the Chrysler 392 at 10.87 in (276.1 mm). For comparison, the 426 Hemi has a deck height of 10.72 in (272.3 mm) and bore spacing of 4.8 in (121.9 mm); both Chrysler Hemis have decks more than 0.5 in (12.7 mm) taller than the FE.

The engine was based on the ultra high performance 427 side-oiler block, providing race-proven durability. The block and associated parts were largely unchanged, the main difference being use of an idler shaft instead of the camshaft in the block, which necessitated plugging the remaining camshaft bearing oiling holes.

The heads were newly-designed cast iron items with hemispherical combustion chambers and a single overhead camshaft on each head, operating shaft-mounted roller rocker arms. The valvetrain consisted of valves larger than those on Ford wedge head engines, made out of stainless steel and with sodium-filled exhaust valves to prevent the valve heads from burning, and dual valve springs. This design allowed for high volumetric efficiency at high engine speed.

The idler shaft in the block in place of the camshaft was driven by the timing chain and drove the distributor and oil pump in conventional fashion, with the same practical limit of about 7,000 rpm for the stock oil pump—a maximum of 20.5 US gallons (77.6 l) per minute of SAE 40 oil at 70 psi (480 kPa). An additional sprocket on this shaft drove a second timing chain, 6 ft (1.8 m) long, which drove both overhead camshafts. The length of this chain made precision timing of the camshafts a problem at high rpm and necessitated a complex system of idlers.

The engine also had a dual-point distributor with a transistorized ignition amplifier system, running 12 amps of current through a high-output ignition coil.

All these engines were essentially hand-built with racing in mind. Combustion chambers were fully machined to reduce variability. Nevertheless, Ford recommended blueprinting the engines before use in racing applications. With a single four-barrel carburetor they were rated at 616 horsepower (459 kW) at 7,000 rpm & 515 ft lbs of torque @ 3,800 rpm, and while equipted with dual four-barrel carburetors they made 657 horsepower (490 kW) at 7,500 rpm & 575 ft/lbs of torque @ 4,200 rpm. Ford sold them via the parts counter, the single four-barrel model as part C6AE-6007-363S, the dual carburetor model as part C6AE-6007-359J for $2350.00 (as of October, 1968). Weight of the engine was 680 lb (308 kg).[20]

Examples of racing 427 SOHC'sFord's plan was cut short, however; although Ford sold enough to have the design homologated, NASCAR, after protests by Chrysler Corp., effectively legislated the SOHC engine out of competition despite having earlier permitted the Chrysler Hemi, and the awaited 1965 SOHC vs. Hemi competition at the Daytona 500 season opener never occurred. This was the only engine ever banned from NASCAR.[citations needed] Nevertheless, the 427 found its niche in drag racing, powering many altered-wheelbase A/FX Mustangs (after NHRA banned it from stock classes),[19] and becoming the basis for a handful of supercharged Top Fuel dragsters, including those of Connie Kalitta, Pete Robinson, and Lou Baney (driven by "Snake" Prudhomme) and numerous nitro funny cars that were also highly successful including Jack Chrisman, Dyno Don Nicholson, Eddie Schartman, Kenz & Leslie and numerous injected gasoline drag racing vehicles.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:18 AM   #8
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Yes. But the window is out a couple years and depends on business, etc.
I'm with you on this. When you want to go check shit out----I'm going.

Maybe we can get a special price on two.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 08-21-2009, 10:28 AM   #9
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
Lucky guy
Yes he is but he's a really good guy and deserves it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
Maybe we can get a special price on two.
Maybe you can get a two for the price of one deal.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:11 AM   #10
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
I always liked this Ford 427:

427 SOHC "Cammer"

SOHC engine showing cam, rockers and timing chainsThe Ford Single Overhead Cam (SOHC) 427 V8 engine, familiarly known as the "Cammer",[19] was released in 1964 to recapture NASCAR dominance from the Chrysler 426 Hemi engine. The Chrysler 426 used extremely large block casting that dwarfed the earlier 392 Hemi. The Ford 427 block was closer dimensionally to the early Hemis than to the elephantine 426 Hemi: the Ford FE bore spacing was 4.63 in (117.6 mm) compared to the Chrysler 392's bore spacing of 4.5625 in (115.9 mm). The Ford FE's deck height of 10.17 in (258.3 mm) was lower than that of the Chrysler 392 at 10.87 in (276.1 mm). For comparison, the 426 Hemi has a deck height of 10.72 in (272.3 mm) and bore spacing of 4.8 in (121.9 mm); both Chrysler Hemis have decks more than 0.5 in (12.7 mm) taller than the FE.

The engine was based on the ultra high performance 427 side-oiler block, providing race-proven durability. The block and associated parts were largely unchanged, the main difference being use of an idler shaft instead of the camshaft in the block, which necessitated plugging the remaining camshaft bearing oiling holes.

The heads were newly-designed cast iron items with hemispherical combustion chambers and a single overhead camshaft on each head, operating shaft-mounted roller rocker arms. The valvetrain consisted of valves larger than those on Ford wedge head engines, made out of stainless steel and with sodium-filled exhaust valves to prevent the valve heads from burning, and dual valve springs. This design allowed for high volumetric efficiency at high engine speed.

The idler shaft in the block in place of the camshaft was driven by the timing chain and drove the distributor and oil pump in conventional fashion, with the same practical limit of about 7,000 rpm for the stock oil pump—a maximum of 20.5 US gallons (77.6 l) per minute of SAE 40 oil at 70 psi (480 kPa). An additional sprocket on this shaft drove a second timing chain, 6 ft (1.8 m) long, which drove both overhead camshafts. The length of this chain made precision timing of the camshafts a problem at high rpm and necessitated a complex system of idlers.

The engine also had a dual-point distributor with a transistorized ignition amplifier system, running 12 amps of current through a high-output ignition coil.

All these engines were essentially hand-built with racing in mind. Combustion chambers were fully machined to reduce variability. Nevertheless, Ford recommended blueprinting the engines before use in racing applications. With a single four-barrel carburetor they were rated at 616 horsepower (459 kW) at 7,000 rpm & 515 ft lbs of torque @ 3,800 rpm, and while equipted with dual four-barrel carburetors they made 657 horsepower (490 kW) at 7,500 rpm & 575 ft/lbs of torque @ 4,200 rpm. Ford sold them via the parts counter, the single four-barrel model as part C6AE-6007-363S, the dual carburetor model as part C6AE-6007-359J for $2350.00 (as of October, 1968). Weight of the engine was 680 lb (308 kg).[20]

Examples of racing 427 SOHC'sFord's plan was cut short, however; although Ford sold enough to have the design homologated, NASCAR, after protests by Chrysler Corp., effectively legislated the SOHC engine out of competition despite having earlier permitted the Chrysler Hemi, and the awaited 1965 SOHC vs. Hemi competition at the Daytona 500 season opener never occurred. This was the only engine ever banned from NASCAR.[citations needed] Nevertheless, the 427 found its niche in drag racing, powering many altered-wheelbase A/FX Mustangs (after NHRA banned it from stock classes),[19] and becoming the basis for a handful of supercharged Top Fuel dragsters, including those of Connie Kalitta, Pete Robinson, and Lou Baney (driven by "Snake" Prudhomme) and numerous nitro funny cars that were also highly successful including Jack Chrisman, Dyno Don Nicholson, Eddie Schartman, Kenz & Leslie and numerous injected gasoline drag racing vehicles.
Yep saw a lot of these run in the 60's. They had their own sound. There was only one put in a 66 (maybe 66 or 67) production car.

Really big arcross the valve covers.

I'd rather have a Boss 429 for the street.:bigthumbsup
2016 Nissan Altma