Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 09-27-2008, 04:38 PM   #31
A Motorgen O.G.

Well, BGN8711 and myself just got back from pre-running this thing. We had a blast. Did about 40-50 miles total. Won't know for sure until our friend gives us the final info on the GPS read. We did take a slightly different route and headed to Deep Creek.

We started out right off the 173 as 94cobra described and trucked it up 2N17X. I don't know the last time you guys were on this trail, but there is no way in hell that anything stock is making it through there. I don't know if that's what you meant, but I was under the impression that is the way we all planned on going.

http://spinninfours.com/trips/silver.../image006.html
This beginning portion is much gnarlier than the pictures show and you no longer have the option going to the left... it has been blocked off about halfway up. And that was the route we took since we could sneak through the barricade on the quads.

http://spinninfours.com/trips/silver.../image008.html
You no longer have three options. The middle on is the only one open. The outer two were blocked off by logs (that you couldn't move or go over in any vehicle). The top of the middle section was intense and we had to go around on the trail that's not shown in the picture. But, even at the top where the three trails converge and the easy way reconnects was rough for the quads and surely for any stock truck.

Basically, my conclusion:

Any decent truck/SUV that has a solid engine and won't crap out can make it along 2N33/Silverwood Trail/Pilot Rock Trail. I would advise against long-bed trucks and would still recommend 4X4 with bigger tires. It's more or less a glorified fire access road. It's a good time though no doubt. It could be boring for any serious off-roaders if it weren't for the many many side trails that shadow 2N33 and offer opportunities for play.

My suggestion:

Break into two parties for the first portion. One for serious, mega-gnarly-hairy-chested off-roaders to take 2N17X. And another for the people out to have a good time. They can take 2N33. Since 2N17X is basically a short-cut along 2N33, both parties should meet up right before Pilot Rock. I'll get a map of the trails going so this makes a whole lot more sense.

It was a fucking blast though. Whoooooooo
Old 09-27-2008, 05:04 PM   #32
A Motorgen O.G.

Link to a map of what I meant. Pilot Rock/Silverwood Trail is a lot longer than 2N17X but I think they'd both take about 45 mins give or take 10 mins and we'd meet at about the same time.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:41 PM   #33
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Thanks for doing this Steve, we'll definitely take what you said under advisement.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:38 PM   #34
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptCulture View Post
Link to a map of what I meant. Pilot Rock/Silverwood Trail is a lot longer than 2N17X but I think they'd both take about 45 mins give or take 10 mins and we'd meet at about the same time.

I drive my explorer up the right side of the first obsticle all the time and I've also driven a stock jeep that was open front and rear up it. It's all about the approach angle. You just have to keep all four wheels on the rocks.

As for the hill climb, the dog leg that goes to the right is fairly easy. Of the three hills, I use to take the one on the right as it was the only one I could make it up. I've tried climbing the middle one a few times but have never been able to make it up. My brother always goes up the middle one and always makes it.

The only other tough section is the last hill climb where the two trails meet together.

Did you get any video of it? If not my brother and I will prerun it and get some video.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:53 PM   #35
A Motorgen O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
I drive my explorer up the right side of the first obsticle all the time and I've also driven a stock jeep that was open front and rear up it. It's all about the approach angle. You just have to keep all four wheels on the rocks.

As for the hill climb, the dog leg that goes to the right is fairly easy. Of the three hills, I use to take the one on the right as it was the only one I could make it up. I've tried climbing the middle one a few times but have never been able to make it up. My brother always goes up the middle one and always makes it.

The only other tough section is the last hill climb where the two trails meet together.

Did you get any video of it? If not my brother and I will prerun it and get some video.
It doesn't look anything like any of those pictures though. It has been dug out/washed out like crazy. I'll put money down that no stock vehicle can make it through there.

I hope I'm wrong though. You should definitely pre-run it. We didn't take any video.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:56 PM   #36

Send a message via AIM to bgn8711

http://spinninfours.com/trips/silver.../image016.html This is I think where steve and his dad had to kick off the rock and shows the intensity of parts FAR beyond a stock exploder. The trail was no joke off road tires and something aside from stock suspension seems a necessity to me. Steve's dad had his front tire literally 3 feet in the air on the section where it splits into 3. I am stoked to watch the jeeps manuever this but lesser vehicles might be better off watching from the sidelines. JMO, goodluck and see you out there.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:29 PM   #37
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgn8711 View Post
http://spinninfours.com/trips/silver.../image016.html This is I think where steve and his dad had to kick off the rock and shows the intensity of parts FAR beyond a stock exploder. The trail was no joke off road tires and something aside from stock suspension seems a necessity to me. Steve's dad had his front tire literally 3 feet in the air on the section where it splits into 3. I am stoked to watch the jeeps manuever this but lesser vehicles might be better off watching from the sidelines. JMO, goodluck and see you out there.
My stock Explorer is on 31's and has gone through this trail many times. The section in this picture is only difficult at the end and oddly enough if you take the right side of the step at the end you can keep all four tires on the ground. It looks like it would be more difficult but it's not. Most people go to the left and it's much more difficult. A jeep won't have issues going through it.

With that said I wouldn't recommend someone bring their stock Explorer that is still on 28 inch street tires to this trail and expect to make it. I think 31's are a must for this trail. The Discovery that I took through this trail was on bald 28 inch street tires and made it through everything except the last hill. I had to pull him up the last 10 feet of it.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:28 PM   #38
Fast & Filthy

Phil (Throttle Crazy) and I are going to prerun the trail Sunday morning in his '78 K5 Jimmy (full size). We'll get video of some of the tougher sections and I'll post it up for everyone to view.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:03 PM   #39
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Phil (Throttle Crazy) and I are going to prerun the trail Sunday morning in his '78 K5 Jimmy (full size). We'll get video of some of the tougher sections and I'll post it up for everyone to view.
Yee ha!

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-06-2008, 08:51 AM   #40
Fast & Filthy

We ran the trail yesterday and I have video that's about 25 minutes that I'm uploading right now. Phil took his 1978 GMC Jimmy that has a 4 inch lift, 35 inch BFG All Terrains, Detroit True Track in the front and an Auburn limit slip in the rear with a tired out 350. We also had our friend Adam come with us in his 1999 Jeep Wrangler. It is stock with the exception of a Hummer body kit and 32 inch BFG All Terrains.