Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-01-2009, 10:24 PM   #31
Power's off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Purpose built cars don't have to account for side view mirrors, indicator lights, headlights, etc. Nor do they have to have more than a couple gallons of fuel. A street car needs these things and tune, plus cooling system, that will handle street driving. I think it's important to distinguish. Also the registration is totally different. Not something we have to decide so quick, but if I manage to get the car tomorrow or this weekend, we can begin stripping immediately. I don't want to put things back on.
I agree. Streetable costs weight, and limits what you can do.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:34 PM   #32
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by big2bird View Post
I agree. Streetable costs weight, and limits what you can do.
It only need to be minimally streetable, like a street legal (show car registered) race car is ok. Race seat(s), no back seat, no insulation all is "fine". My concerns would be more of the chassis harness, engine tune/cooling, and the like. Can be decided later, just want to get an idea of other issues I might not be thinking of and flesh out opinions.

As for the tranny, nothing is set in stone. I would actually lean towards the Auto if it's going to be a purpose built straightline car, and keep the manual if it's going to be anything additional. Plus I'm exploring some lines on 8.8s and 9s anyway.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-03-2009, 10:54 AM   #33
Neanderthal

Well, I'm gone 3 days and nothing has been done. Damn.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 01-03-2009, 05:59 PM   #34
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Ben, I haven't read far enough to see if this was answered yet but I have a trailer. Also, if it hasn't been arranged yet I can build a cage for it. I have a couple buddies with tube benders. The only thing we would need is the tubing.
Ben picked up the car today and just had AAA tow it home

If you can build the cage that would be awesome. I think we can figure out the tubing.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:38 PM   #35

Send a message via AIM to bgn8711

hey eveyone I've been out of town all week, I wanna see pics of this beast. I def. wanna get in on helping with this beast! Seems like an awesome idea, can't wait to see pics!

Brian
Old 01-03-2009, 11:12 PM   #36
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Basically, if we are building what I THINK we are building, just the connectors with a 6" tail. I may just tag it and pull it all. The rear harness might be reused. The engine compartment will be all new. Since the car will weigh almost the same when done, I'd leave the stock brakes for now. I vote trash the whole dash, and I'll fab an aluminum one. As a matter of fact, I would remove and tag it all. Interior to shell, hood, doors, underhood, then put it up on blocks nice and high. I'll see if I can get away tomarrow. I'm still getting more chores on this hillbilly shack.
I'm about about to give a ruling on the street/vs. non-street issue.

In any event we are on the same page. enkeivette and I were talking about the dash. I always wanted to drive a car that was started from a switch on the roof.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-04-2009, 02:12 AM   #37
Super Moderator

Quote:
I vote trash the whole dash, and I'll fab an aluminum one.
Ben, did I call it or what?

How did you get the steering to unlock? Did you dremel off that lil doohicky?
Old 01-04-2009, 02:31 AM   #38
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Ben, did I call it or what?

How did you get the steering to unlock? Did you dremel off that lil doohicky?
Indeed, you called it. BTW, bird, I have the resources to punch out any pattern on a 2D piece of sheet metal you can dream up. So let's think about all the gauges and switches we might want.

I started by dremeling the locking mechanism. Then my little lazy monkey brain said, there's got to be a better way. Hazaah. There was a set screw for the key mechanism. Once unscrewed said mechanism was easily pulled out. Then, using my favorite tool, the big-ass-screwdriver, I could turn the "key" (a.k.a., screwdriver) to run. Poof, unlock had been achieved.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-04-2009, 10:57 AM   #39
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Indeed, you called it. BTW, bird, I have the resources to punch out any pattern on a 2D piece of sheet metal you can dream up. So let's think about all the gauges and switches we might want.

I started by dremeling the locking mechanism. Then my little lazy monkey brain said, there's got to be a better way. Hazaah. There was a set screw for the key mechanism. Once unscrewed said mechanism was easily pulled out. Then, using my favorite tool, the big-ass-screwdriver, I could turn the "key" (a.k.a., screwdriver) to run. Poof, unlock had been achieved.
Ben, can Adam and I come by and check it out today? We could pull the engine if you have some free time. We're going to Savi at noon, so I was thinking 1ish. I'll give you a call and see what you're up to.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:05 AM   #40
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
Ben, can Adam and I come by and check it out today? We could pull the engine if you have some free time. We're going to Savi at noon, so I was thinking 1ish. I'll give you a call and see what you're up to.
That'd be great. See you around 1:00 - 1:30.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)