Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-05-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default RX-Snake: Transmission

joedls, or ayone else:

What are the ratios in the Top Loader:

1st ?
2nd ?
3rd ?
4th 1:1

I have a great spreadsheet for plugging this stuff into so you know what your mph/rpm curves are. I would really like to carefully consider the whole system for optimization, from engine through trans to axle and tire size

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-05-2009, 05:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
joedls, or ayone else:

1st ?
2nd ?
3rd ?

I have a great spreadsheet for plugging this stuff into so you know what your mph/rpm curves are. I would really like to carefully consider the whole system for optimization, from engine through trans to axle and tire size

Depends on whether it's a close ratio or wide ratio. I'm not sure which one yours is.

Wide ratio: 2.78 1.93 1.36 1 2.78 reverse
Close ratio: 2.32 1.69 1.29 1 2.32 reverse

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?
Old 01-05-2009, 05:17 PM   #3

Quote:
joedls, or ayone else:

1st ?
2nd ?
3rd ?

Here is a link to help you id the tranny to determine if it is a close or wide ratio: http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com/idchart1.htm

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?
Old 01-08-2009, 12:44 AM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedls View Post
Depends on whether it's a close ratio or wide ratio. I'm not sure which one yours is.

Close ratio: 2.32 1.69 1.29 1 2.32 reverse
Here's what the trans mission is identified as:
HEH-P 01526
1964 Mustang 289 wide ratio 25-spline
8/20/64 to 12/30/64

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-08-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
Neanderthal

Quote:
Here's what the trans mission is identified as:
HEH-P 01526
1964 Mustang 289 wide ratio 25-spline
8/20/64 to 12/30/64

I've always prefered Wide rations over Close for the street. Now, on a Drag car the % of drop between gears should be ABOUT 19% per gear ( if my brain is working right ). Now that is what we used in the Seventies.

What is the current diff gear ration on the RX?

The Wide Ratio will be fine in most cases. We can make it work. We can not do better --as far as strenght for a 4 speed-- than that Top Loader.

Some poor anal restoration guy is looking for that trans for his 64 Mustang.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 01-08-2009, 12:35 PM   #6
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
I've always prefered Wide rations over Close for the street. Now, on a Drag car the % of drop between gears should be ABOUT 19% per gear ( if my brain is working right ). Now that is what we used in the Seventies.

What is the current diff gear ration on the RX?

The Wide Ratio will be fine in most cases. We can make it work. We can not do better --as far as strenght for a 4 speed-- than that Top Loader.

Some poor anal restoration guy is looking for that trans for his 64 Mustang.

Yeah, and he might be willing to pay a stupid price for it. Though I don't know about the 289 model. It's the 427s that go for big bucks.

According to JOe the ratios are:

See the engine thread. I posted a graph of mph:rpm assuming this gear box, 255/60x15 tires and a 3.73 rear end, which I *think* is what's in there now, but I need to check.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-08-2009, 01:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Yeah, and he might be willing to pay a stupid price for it. Though I don't know about the 289 model. It's the 427s that go for big bucks.

According to JOe the ratios are:

See the engine thread. I posted a graph of mph:rpm assuming this gear box, 255/60x15 tires and a 3.73 rear end, which I *think* is what's in there now, but I need to check.

I was offered $800 for that tranny from a guy that just wanted a toploader. It would be worth more to a guy that is looking for a correct date coded tranny.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:02 PM   #8
Neanderthal

Quote:
I was offered $800 for that tranny from a guy that just wanted a toploader. It would be worth more to a guy that is looking for a correct date coded tranny.
$800.00??????? Damn, you must really LOVE Ben and the boys.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 01-08-2009, 04:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
$800.00??????? Damn, you must really LOVE Ben and the boys.

Nah, they're too damn ugly for me. I just wanna drive the car and I couldn't let them put a SBC in that car.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:51 PM   #10
Neanderthal

Quote:
Nah, they're too damn ugly for me. I just wanna drive the car and I couldn't let them put a SBC in that car.
Works for me. You going to be there Sat at Ricks????
2016 Nissan Altma