Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 04-08-2009, 07:31 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Fuel Pump Recommendations

I think when I do my rings (assuming my pistons are intact) I'll upgrade the fuel system.

Requirements: 7 lbs+boost lbs capable of supporting 750 forced induction hp

So it needs to be adjustable to 7lbs with the capability of putting out about 26lbs with a boost reference port or regulator.

Not sure how many gph I need, Summit sells an electric pump that puts out 68gph which can by their claim support 800hp, while my mech pump puts out 130gph but can support less than that. So the gph thing confuses me. Prob advertising getting in the way of science.

Help me out. Also, don't want to break the bank.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:03 PM   #2

Don't skimp on the fuel system. I am using an Aeromotive A-1000 and it is almost maxed out. It can support about 750 supercharged hp. BTW, I am at 16+ lbs. of boost and fuel injected and worried I need to move up to a bigger pump. I first tried several mechanical pumps and none would keep up. Probably have $800 in the fuel pump/filter/regulator set-up.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:44 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I figured I'd end up with the A1000

What referenced regulator are you using? I only see an Aeromotive one for up to 15 psi other than the FI one with a 30 psi base.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:52 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Here's a question, since the price is almost the same, why not go with the A2000? I'd be set for life, I'd tax the strength of the frame before I taxed out that thing.

I was kind of hoping to avoid the electric pump, I'm already running dual fans off a stock alt. Sooo much money! Need to get out of school before I try to have fun like this.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:54 PM   #5
Super Moderator

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

This one looks nasty.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
BTDT..nothing but an expensive paperweight. I am using an Aeromotive f/p regulator. I measured the current draw on the pump and it's less than 7 amps at full load. The A-2000 appears to have a built in regulator, with no boost-referenced port.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:42 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_G View Post
BTDT..nothing but an expensive paperweight. I am using an Aeromotive f/p regulator. I measured the current draw on the pump and it's less than 7 amps at full load. The A-2000 appears to have a built in regulator, with no boost-referenced port.
I didn't realize during this thread that you have FI. Considering that I'm still running a carb and only need 7-20lbs, do you think I could get away with a mechanical one like this? Was the one you tried actually a piston type mech pump and not the standard diaphragm type?

Also, how big are your fuel lines?
Old 01-21-2010, 08:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
I didn't realize during this thread that you have FI. Considering that I'm still running a carb and only need 7-20lbs, do you think I could get away with a mechanical one like this? Was the one you tried actually a piston type mech pump and not the standard diaphragm type?

Also, how big are your fuel lines?
The mechanical pump I used was a "Racepump" brand pistion pump. They appear to be very sensitive to inlet restriction....I got stranded on the freeway with that POS. I have heard of others with the same problem. (Vapor lock). I would never trust a mechanical pump to keep up with 700+hp. Remember, it's volume and pressure at higher boost levels. Just do the A-1000 and don't look back. BTW, I am feeding it with -12 (3/4 in.) from the tank, and -8 (1/2 in.) to the regulator on the fenderwell. The return line is -6 (3/8 in.).
Old 01-22-2010, 02:56 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_G View Post
The mechanical pump I used was a "Racepump" brand pistion pump. They appear to be very sensitive to inlet restriction....I got stranded on the freeway with that POS. I have heard of others with the same problem. (Vapor lock). I would never trust a mechanical pump to keep up with 700+hp. Remember, it's volume and pressure at higher boost levels. Just do the A-1000 and don't look back. BTW, I am feeding it with -12 (3/4 in.) from the tank, and -8 (1/2 in.) to the regulator on the fenderwell. The return line is -6 (3/8 in.).
Damn, glad I asked. A1000 it is. I think I should do this before I do the intercooler, on second thought.