Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 08-10-2010, 12:26 AM   #31
Super Moderator

OIC, I thought to go thicker you would just add more material, but you're actually moving side to side? That's how you get the rolled dimes look? Thanks Ben.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:37 AM   #32
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
OIC, I thought to go thicker you would just add more material, but you're actually moving side to side? That's how you get the rolled dimes look? Thanks Ben.
It's for strength and penetration and such good things. (Keep in mind I'm a rank amateur, this is just my basic understanding.)

Here's one of my early welds on the trailing arms of the Vette (closed up stitch welds). You can't see sooo clearly but there is a kind of overlap in the weld. It's acceptable for the purpose, but not good.

This is what you're going for.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-10-2010, 07:34 AM   #33
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
It's for strength and penetration and such good things. (Keep in mind I'm a rank amateur, this is just my basic understanding.)

Here's one of my early welds on the trailing arms of the Vette (closed up stitch welds). You can't see sooo clearly but there is a kind of overlap in the weld. It's acceptable for the purpose, but not good.

This is what you're going for.

Those examples look like they're tig welded. A mig won't look quite that good. I use to think that my welds look decent until my brother had our friend Davi help with my dad's FJ40. His welds are perfect! But he has also been welding and fabricating since he was something like 12 and he 42 now.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:09 AM   #34
Super Moderator

I think it would be much more difficult to go back and forth with a tig welder. When I did tig I sort of got the rolled dimes look without going back and forth, just by dabbing the rod. But what do I know.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:14 AM   #35
Fast & Filthy

That's what you do with tig. I've only mig welded and I do w's or e's. I'll grab some scrap tonight an lay a bead to see how mine comes out. However, I use gas so mine will have alot less splater.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #36
Super Moderator

W for women and E for ecstasy?
Old 08-10-2010, 05:51 PM   #37
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
W for women and E for ecstasy?
That would be W for woman as in only one and E for Eternity for me.

Here's a test weld for my Miller (actually Phil's) using gas.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #38
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Nice. That's what I was trying to describe.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-10-2010, 06:05 PM   #39
Fast & Filthy

It's not too bad but like you I'm an amateur. I noticed that I have to go faster than I want to get that roll of dimes look. I've never really taken the time to just practice. I should though. I think if I turn the heat and wire speed down some that I could still get good penetration but be able to go slower.

Thanks for the motivation Adam.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:14 PM   #40
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
It's not too bad but like you I'm an amateur. I noticed that I have to go faster than I want to get that roll of dimes look. I've never really taken the time to just practice. I should though. I think if I turn the heat and wire speed down some that I could still get good penetration but be able to go slower.

Thanks for the motivation Adam.
It's definitely a skill that requires practice. You should have a chart for metal thickness, gas type and wire speeds on your unit that you can use for a guide in different cases at least.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)