Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 10-07-2008, 10:52 PM   #1
Internet Tough Guy

Default Porsche Officially calls out Nissan!

This is just one of many articles, but they all pretty much say the same thing. Nissan used slicks and possibly a tuned version on the GTR. According to Porsche they were not able to get a time within 25 sec of the claimed 7:29! Calling bullshit on the GTR is not new, but this is another automobile manufacturer saying it's not possible

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/30/p...ting-the-ring/
Old 10-07-2008, 10:59 PM   #2
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
This is just one of many articles, but they all pretty much say the same thing. Nissan used slicks and possibly a tuned version on the GTR. According to Porsche they were not able to get a time within 25 sec of the claimed 7:29! Calling bullshit on the GTR is not new, but this is another automobile manufacturer saying it's not possible

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/30/p...ting-the-ring/
So awesome. I also have heard the transmissions are made of glass and that if you turn of the VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) and torch the tranmission on a stock car they won't cover the warranty
Old 10-07-2008, 11:01 PM   #3
Resident Avatar Gambler

Old 10-07-2008, 11:01 PM   #4
Resident Avatar Gambler

From the Nissan Board:

I was driving my gtr two weeks ago and I heard a loud noise coming from the rear. I turned immediately had my gtr towed to crown nissan st. petersburg fl. They didn't touch my car only called some techs from tennessee to look at the car and record the noise, 4 days later two guys from japan to download some info from the car then left. Then I get a call from the dealer to tell me the news, and they told me that the car was driven without vdc too much and nissan will not warranty the transmission which they said was destroyed, I asked them how much to fix it they told me 20k, no freaking way I will pay 20k on top of what i just paid for the car. I called the gtr number and also talked to nissan consumer affairs got nowhere, now the car is sitting at the dealer. I know we shouldn't launch the car but why own it if you cant use this function, don't sell a car that goes 0-60 in 3.4 sec if the only way you can achieve this speed is to void the warranty , false advertising. Here is the bad news people were fearing it has happened to me and Nissan has told me there are already three people in my shoes, if you are one of these people email me, we have got to get together on this. Just think if any of you guys have taken the vdc off just a few times you have already voided your warranty, good luck what a joke nissan.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:09 PM   #5
Internet Tough Guy

What I've heard is that the transmission is only good for 15 launches using the launch control!!!!! That's fucking awesome. OMFG I knew this was going to happen. As soon as the production models were release truth comes out and kick Nissan straight in the mouth. Apparently when buying the car you have to sign acknowledging that the transmission has a limited number of launches, the brakes are louder than normal, and the excess tire wear due to "S" compound tires.

Frankly, the new evo is hte same way. I saw one shit it self at PIR with only a tune and some toyo R-888s.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:13 PM   #6
Internet Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
From the Nissan Board:

I was driving my gtr two weeks ago and I heard a loud noise coming from the rear. I turned immediately had my gtr towed to crown nissan st. petersburg fl. They didn't touch my car only called some techs from tennessee to look at the car and record the noise, 4 days later two guys from japan to download some info from the car then left. Then I get a call from the dealer to tell me the news, and they told me that the car was driven without vdc too much and nissan will not warranty the transmission which they said was destroyed, I asked them how much to fix it they told me 20k, no freaking way I will pay 20k on top of what i just paid for the car. I called the gtr number and also talked to nissan consumer affairs got nowhere, now the car is sitting at the dealer. I know we shouldn't launch the car but why own it if you cant use this function, don't sell a car that goes 0-60 in 3.4 sec if the only way you can achieve this speed is to void the warranty , false advertising. Here is the bad news people were fearing it has happened to me and Nissan has told me there are already three people in my shoes, if you are one of these people email me, we have got to get together on this. Just think if any of you guys have taken the vdc off just a few times you have already voided your warranty, good luck what a joke nissan.
OOHHHH SSSSHHHHHHHHHIIIIITTT! That's fucking nuts!
Old 10-08-2008, 12:16 AM   #7
I, Vettezuki

If this all pans out as bad as its described, it's actually tough for me to believe Nissan would have been this dopey. The GT-R was almost specifically designed to address the desire for their to be a Skyline in the States. Surely, they must have known Americans would drive them pretty hard, assuming they were getting what they paid for. It's not a Ferrari or prestige badge, this is supposed to be a bad mother fu*ker. I've talked plenty of shit on the GT-R (the numbers in some of the tests were literally beyond the bounds of physics as far as I could tell (low 11s @ 125~ in a 3,800lbs. 480BHP AWD?). If this turns out (especially the Porsche claim!), I'm actually sad. Secretly I was really hoping the GT-R would be all the hype claimed it to be.

As for me I guess I'll have to be content with hot lapping my big dumb simple American car on DRs.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-08-2008, 10:50 AM   #8
Internet Tough Guy

Another funny little GTR fact. When the GTR was first introduced it wsa billed as unseating hte z06 as the best bang for the buck performance car. Nissan has raised MSRP for the GTR by $7,000. Approximately 10% of the original price. Now base price is $76,000 or the going rate for a Porsche 997 Carrera "S".
Old 10-08-2008, 11:25 AM   #9
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
Another funny little GTR fact. When the GTR was first introduced it wsa billed as unseating hte z06 as the best bang for the buck performance car. Nissan has raised MSRP for the GTR by $7,000. Approximately 10% of the original price. Now base price is $76,000 or the going rate for a Porsche 997 Carrera "S".

I won't break their balls for that. Current base C6Z MSRP is $75k, so definitely the same base price range. However, the GT-R production run size and markups put it much higher in reality. During Chevy's recent employee pricing deal I saw one Z for like $65k.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-08-2008, 11:39 AM   #10

Default they wish

i knew there would be trouble in paradise for nissan.. maybe this is not such common problem, but for 80,000, i sure dont want to be the one to find out for myself... and as for them dethrowning the vette .. i dont think that will ever happen... nissan has limited itself in that market.. offering only one high horsepower car (and only one version of it) to get much real world R&D.. and now with bad press things will only get worse before they get better... good luck to them nissan owners...