Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 09-25-2009, 11:21 PM   #1

Default Electrical Issues

So I'm driving my Mustang the other day and this guys pulls up next to me and says "Hey dude your Brake lights are not working!!!". So at first I'm like thanks but I'm sure they are I just wasent braking but I checked for myself when I got home and bam no lights including the 3rd brake light on the trunk. So I checked the fuses and they all check out good. I checked the switch and I find it not plugged in and one of the wires ripped out anyways. So I hooked up the wires the best I could but still nothing. After doing some research I find that the brake lights and the cruise control seem to go out together and its normally the multi function switch. So the next time I hit the freeway I tested it and nope its not working too. now I love to work on my car and do minor stuff but all this is over my head... Is there anyone that would be willing to fix it I'm happy to pay. Or maybe if some one can find step by step on how to change the multi function switch cuz I dont know where it is or even what it looks like lol.

2011 Mustang GT
2001 Mustang GT -SOLD
Old 09-26-2009, 11:00 AM   #2
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiced01gt281 View Post
So I'm driving my Mustang the other day and this guys pulls up next to me and says "Hey dude your Brake lights are not working!!!". So at first I'm like thanks but I'm sure they are I just wasent braking but I checked for myself when I got home and bam no lights including the 3rd brake light on the trunk. So I checked the fuses and they all check out good. I checked the switch and I find it not plugged in and one of the wires ripped out anyways. So I hooked up the wires the best I could but still nothing. After doing some research I find that the brake lights and the cruise control seem to go out together and its normally the multi function switch. So the next time I hit the freeway I tested it and nope its not working too. now I love to work on my car and do minor stuff but all this is over my head... Is there anyone that would be willing to fix it I'm happy to pay. Or maybe if some one can find step by step on how to change the multi function switch cuz I dont know where it is or even what it looks like lol.
I hate electrical issues. I'm in the same boat trying to track down an issue with my drivers side brake light not working. The strange thing is that it comes on if I have my right turn signal on.

Do a search on www.stangnet.com. You should be able to find the wiring diagram and it will help you track it down. The other option is to go pick a service manual that has the diagram in it. Also, shoot Throttle Crazy (he's my brother) a PM and see if he has a suggestion on where to look.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
I, Vettezuki

If you guys can acquire the correct diagram(s), ls1z28 (Lake Elsinore) and big2bird (Anaheim) may be able to help for a very reasonable price. Both are very good with electrical systems. ls1z28 helped me correct a problem in a custom wire harness that came incorrectly wired.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 09-29-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
Power's off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
I hate electrical issues. I'm in the same boat trying to track down an issue with my drivers side brake light not working. The strange thing is that it comes on if I have my right turn signal on.
Rule #1) "If something STRANGE is happening, 9 out of 10 times, it is a bad ground wire."
Old 09-29-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
Power's off.

Quote:
I would be happy to repair it, but I would need the appropriate wiring diagram first.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:34 PM   #6

Sweet I'll find one I even think I already have it but let me make sure.

2011 Mustang GT
2001 Mustang GT -SOLD
Old 09-30-2009, 08:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by big2bird View Post
I would be happy to repair it, but I would need the appropriate wiring diagram first.
I have the 2001 Mustang GT on ShopKey so let me know if you guys run into trouble.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:56 PM   #8
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by big2bird View Post
Rule #1) "If something STRANGE is happening, 9 out of 10 times, it is a bad ground wire."
So I took a look at the Cobra today. The issue it was having was the brake light on the left side wasn't working unless I had the drivers side turn signal on, then it would work. I checked both ground wires and all was good. Then I checked the power with just the brakes on, 0v. Then I turned the right turn signal on and it had 9.68v. I took a look at the schematic to see where the power was coming from and found that it went through the turn signal switch. I went and picked up a new one and now everything works again.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:53 PM   #9

I have been so busy working on my girls Audi (Stupid German Car). The parts cost way to much its so not funny. Anyways I haven't had anytime to find the wire charts. big2bird when do you think you can help me out? I mean what the best time for you? I can drop off the car or stick around and help you out whatever is best for you. I got lunch for sure. Let me know.
Steven

Ron do you have a firewall adjuster for your clutch? do you got any advice on how to adjust it correctly? And Rubik says your coming in Monday See you then.

2011 Mustang GT
2001 Mustang GT -SOLD
Old 10-10-2009, 11:08 PM   #10
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Ron do you have a firewall adjuster for your clutch? do you got any advice on how to adjust it correctly? And Rubik says your coming in Monday See you then.
I bought one but couldn't install it because of the large brake booster that comes on the Cobra. I only have an adjustable cable. With my adjustable cable I leave just a slight bit of slack which makes my clutch engagment at about the halfway point on my peddle.

Rubik is correct, I will be at your office Monday morning to install the new Global and TSYS apps as well as the XLM files. I'll see you then.