Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 06-15-2011, 02:40 PM   #1

Default BMW Unveils the Twin-Turbo 2012 M5

Meet the most powerful M5 ever. Things are about to get a lot more normal under the hood of the BMW M5. The outgoing car packed an utterly insane 5.0-liter V-10, which made 500 hp—at a screaming 7750 rpm. Prior to that, the E39 M5, which was sold in the late 1990s and early 2000s, [...]

More...
Old 06-15-2011, 11:07 PM   #2

I approve.

Boost, because sometimes atmospheric pressure just isn't enough.

"If it has tit's or tires, you can be pretty sure your going to have problems with them..."
Old 06-16-2011, 07:49 AM   #3
I, Vettezuki

I'm slightly iffy. Yeah, smaller displacement engines can make the same power as larger displacement engines with turbos and whatnot, but it's not magic. They're doing it by cramming more air and fuel into the smaller motor as if it were a bigger motor. Yes you can get better overall MPG, but only if you keep you're foot out of the boost, otherwise, you're really right back where you started from or worse. Don't get me wrong, they're fun and if you want to make big power, at some point you have no choice but to go FI, I just don't see it as quite the panacea.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-16-2011, 09:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
I'm slightly iffy. Yeah, smaller displacement engines can make the same power as larger displacement engines with turbos and whatnot, but it's not magic. They're doing it by cramming more air and fuel into the smaller motor as if it were a bigger motor. Yes you can get better overall MPG, but only if you keep you're foot out of the boost, otherwise, you're really right back where you started from or worse. Don't get me wrong, they're fun and if you want to make big power, at some point you have no choice but to go FI, I just don't see it as quite the panacea.
No Replacement for Displacement

A big motor can get good mpg its just a lot harder and you have to gear it right.
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20
Old 06-16-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackax View Post
No Replacement for Displacement

A big motor can get good mpg its just a lot harder and you have to gear it right.
Well, it's kind of my point. I stand to be corrected but my H&C LSx with 3.73 gears makes more power (390whp/365wtq) than a moderately tuned EvoX even, but gets considerably better mpg. It's also butt loads simpler and not much, if any heavier. I ain't haten. I'm working ona VG30ET build with my brother, and I'd like to do a Rotrex maybe someday for my Vette. It's just a purely technical discussion. THe reason some manufacturers are going this route is that the can get higher measured average mpg, but that depends on "normal" driving, which people DON'T do with a most performance cars, so while the on paper differences might be there, it might not work out like that if you measured seriously in the real world. That's all I'm say'n.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #6

One of the reasons small displacement turbos is for EPA mileage. In the mileage tests, you won't get into high boost during the cycle improving the mileage rating and thus making it easier to meet the CAFE standards.

Bob

2003 Honda Accord EX
1973 Datsun 240Z

Old 06-16-2011, 12:17 PM   #7
pain's fun, hit me again

Well its true most people with tuner vehicles wont drive conservatively, they do. My truck makes (not dynoed yet) in the 600rwhp 1200rwtq range and my 1/4 mph confirms its close.

If i drive like an asshole i get maybe 17mpg on the highway and about 13mpg on the streets, not bad for a truck. But if i leave it on the race tune, i get 23mpg highway and 19 city, driving conservatively. Seems people just need to learn restraint.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 06-16-2011, 10:51 PM   #8

What is this "restraint" you speak of?

Boost, because sometimes atmospheric pressure just isn't enough.

"If it has tit's or tires, you can be pretty sure your going to have problems with them..."
Old 06-16-2011, 11:51 PM   #9
pain's fun, hit me again

Very difficult thing to learn grasshopper, until you start to get in a few "close calls" with leo's
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!