Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 10-28-2009, 01:17 PM   #11
Super Moderator

I'm down with the extra weight if it gives me twice as much drive traction.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:02 PM   #12
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
I'm down with the extra weight if it gives me twice as much drive traction.
Sticky tires will give you all the traction you really need. Though a hard core AWD launch is kinda a hoot.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-28-2009, 03:52 PM   #13
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Sticky tires will give you all the traction you really need. Though a hard core AWD launch is kinda a hoot.
And how many of those have you done?
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 10-28-2009, 03:53 PM   #14
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
And how many of those have you done?
Zero. But I've witnessed a few.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-28-2009, 04:58 PM   #15
Super Moderator

It's so difficult to talk to you straight line guys sometimes...

Try pulling yourself out of a drift in a RWD car, then try it with an AWD car. When a RWD car loses traction, you're losing speed. On the brakes, out of the drift, and back in the race. When an AWD car loses traction, it's hardly done fighting. When those rear wheels kick loose it continues to pull you out with the front.

This is why an Evo pulls less lateral G force than a Viper, but gets through the slalom faster.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:09 PM   #16
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
It's so difficult to talk to you straight line guys sometimes...

Try pulling yourself out of a drift in a RWD car, then try it with an AWD car. When a RWD car loses traction, you're losing speed. On the brakes, out of the drift, and back in the race. When an AWD car loses traction, it's hardly done fighting. When those rear wheels kick loose it continues to pull you out with the front.

This is why an Evo pulls less lateral G force than a Viper, but gets through the slalom faster.
I'm not a straight line guy. You're supposed to flirt on the boundary of traction, not lose it. All of the worlds fastest road course cars, to say nothing of formula cars are ALL RWD. The GT-R and Turbo Porsche are up towards the top for Ring times, but even there, the fastest production cars are still RWD.

No question though. Nimrod vs. Nimrod, the Nimrod in the AWD wins every time.

Ralley is a whole different ball game because of all the surfaces other than tarmac they race on.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #17
Super Moderator

Agreed, a car with 18" slicks in the front will do better without the extra weight of a front diff. When it's a race car, and traction is not as much of an issue, I too would prefer a RWD platform. Less weight up front is always a good thing.

But in the real world, I'm not a pro race car driver, neither are you, and neither of us have a C3 like TTs.

This is sort of like my argument with Skunk, he was saying that you don't need a sway bar in a car, you can just up the spring rate. Yeah, ok, true... in a race car. But who here has a race car? Other than CobraSS.

I'm a sway bar loving, AWD loving, 91 octane, treaded tire sort of guy.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:29 PM   #18
Super Moderator

Old 10-28-2009, 05:35 PM   #19
Super Moderator

Like always we're getting too far removed. Driving preference aside, would you put your money on the stock red (toyota) concept or the stock blue (subaru) concept, on a road course?
Old 10-28-2009, 05:59 PM   #20
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Like always we're getting too far removed. Driving preference aside, would you put your money on the stock red (toyota) concept or the stock blue (subaru) concept, on a road course?
The engines and outputs are different as well. Assuming the same outputs and average driver, no question the AWD wins 9 out of 10.

Carlos originally made the point and he races all the time. For him it is totally valid to go with the lighter RWD.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)