Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 12-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk
Default And the resale value king is...

The MkIV Supra. WOW, these things held value well. I'd love to have one, but holy crap look at these prices
Old 12-07-2009, 09:26 PM   #2

...NOT AMGs

Who says that a car is a bad investment?
Old 12-08-2009, 02:25 AM   #3
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
The MkIV Supra. WOW, these things held value well. I'd love to have one, but holy crap look at these prices
My brother was into Supras when he was young. Good examples were going for like $10k or something reasonable like, then something tragic happened. We know it as "The Fast and the Furious".

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-08-2009, 02:26 AM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalC55 View Post
. . . Who says that a car is a bad investment?
Unless you REALLY know what you're doing with collector cars, or get just plain lucky (and sell the asset at the top end of appreciation), cars are a straight up money pit period.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-08-2009, 03:06 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Tell me about it
Old 12-08-2009, 07:48 AM   #6
Internet Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Unless you REALLY know what you're doing with collector cars, or get just plain lucky (and sell the asset at the top end of appreciation), cars are a straight up money pit period.
Wisely spoken.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:50 AM   #7
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
True, but their are examples of cars in the last 20ish years even that have appreciated. The Enzo, McLaren F1, and Buick GNX are just a few I can think of off the top of my head.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:26 AM   #8
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
. . .The Enzo, McLaren F1
Big buck big boy territory. For that matter the Enzos were by invitation only I think.

Quote:
. . . Buick GNX
Again rare, basically collectible from the get go. And even so I wouldn't think the ROI over the period is all that hot, especially when properly accounting for TCI (interest on payments, insurance, and all other operational costs over the period).

I feel sorry for 99.9% of people who think of cars as an investment. Now if you're clever, you can substantially reduce the COST of your hobby by owning desirable models, letting others pay depreciation, maintaining and exchanging while still higher on the value scale, but that doesn't make it an investment.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-08-2009, 11:06 AM   #9

I missed out on a couple investments in my past. I wanted to buy a 1971 Hemi Cuda for my first car for $2000. My Dad and I had a joint savings account. My father told his 17 yr old son "I am going to save your life" and would not let me withdraw the money. Looking back he probably saved my life. When I was stationed in Key West FL in 1979 a chief want to trade his 1968 Maroon/White Shelby GT500KR convertible with 53K miles for my 1974 Jensen Healey and $1000. I had the money, but I would not be able to afford to drive the Shelby back to the west coast (8mpg vs 30mpg). I did have my Dad's Shell credit card, but I knew that he would not think that was an emergency. Looking back I should have done it anyway and took the heat when I got home. In 1981 I tried to buy a yellow 1971 GTO Judge Convertible with 9K miles, but another guy made a better offer. I regret not trading for the Shelby the most. Hindsight is always 20-20.

Bob

2003 Honda Accord EX
1973 Datsun 240Z

Old 12-08-2009, 01:31 PM   #10
Super Moderator

My step Dad's 69 Mustang Shelby Cobra GT 500 was certainly an investment that he let go for $15K 20 years ago. Car's worth more than $80K today.

And Ben our cars have actually gone up in value since I bought mine. I bought mine for $4900 with 78K miles on it and and no issues other than a broken motor mount. With the custom 82 bumper molded in.

Find me a 78 Vette for less than 5K with decent paint and around only 80K miles on it.

Not saying that I'll be able to turn a profit, but if I had left it stock I would have definitely made a profit just flipping it as it was.