Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 05-29-2009, 12:44 PM   #31
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Are those motors direct injection?
They are indeed. The high pressure pump was the one failing.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:17 PM   #32
Internet Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Yeah, except for the part where there's no boost or A/F or comparison to a Vishnu unit on the same car and day. I can see the top numbers are on 93 which makes a little more sense. A chunk of it is coming from the timing.

My point is this, it's hard for me to imagine BMW being that conservative with the stock tune. So much so that with still safe (close to ideal) A/F and timing you could pick up that much power at the wheels. That's more than the old days of the LS1s that came from the factory with VERY conservative tunes. Unless they just running very low boost fro the factory that can just get turned up and the fuel system can support it.

Is the JB a whole piggy back computer with lots parametric articulation than the stock unit?
You're right! A big parameter that is also missing exhaust gas temperature. Sure some tuners may make a big number and the motor may not grenade immediately. Give it six months and ring lands, rings, and the tops of the pistons will all start pitting. Even with the proper A/F you will introduce significant highly localized heat.

I had a long discussion with one my good friends about this very issue. You can see it all the time. The walking wounded. Supras, EVOs, and Cobras that still run strong because of all the boost, but bealch out black smoke when hammered and blowoff coolant lines on occasion due to "loose fittings".