Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 11-19-2008, 09:35 AM   #11

The solid front axle for rock crawling has been proven to be stronger. Also as Ron said, when one tire is forced up it forces the other one down. This does two things: first it helps with traction and second it lifts the truck up away from the rock or obstacle you are climbing. With IFS the wheel tucks in the fender on the one side and limits frame lift. On IFS the axle joint has to work at much tougher angles due to steering and suspension movement. On straight axles the joint only has to deal with turning. When you are rock crawling you are often in tight turning conditions with suspension fully twisted. This combination along with lockers, traction and low gears breaks IFS parts.

Last edited by Throttle Crazy : 11-19-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:54 AM   #12
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttle Crazy View Post
The solid front axle for rock crawling has been proven to be stronger. Also as Ron said, when one tire is forced up it forces the other one down. This does two things: first it helps with traction and second it lifts the truck up away from the rock or obsticle you are climbing. With IFS the wheel tucks in the fender on the one side and limits frame lift. On IFS the axle joint has to work at much tougher angles due to steering and suspension movement. On straight axles the joint only has to deal with turning. When you are rock crawling you are often in tight turning conditions with suspension fully twisted. This combination along with lockers, traction and low gears is breaks IFS parts.
Ya even with a wimpy 160hp 4.0 V6 like I did at TDS. One little off camber turn and BOOM! there goes the half shaft.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:11 AM   #13
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Ya even with a wimpy 160hp 4.0 V6 like I did at TDS. One little off camber turn and BOOM! there goes the half shaft.
Found On Rocks Dead
Old 11-20-2008, 01:31 AM   #14
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Found On Rocks Dead
I do believe that's a new one.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-20-2008, 07:33 AM   #15
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Found On Rocks Dead
But now I have a Jeep front axle so I should be safe.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:50 PM   #16
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Found On Rocks Dead
Well played sir
Old 11-20-2008, 06:53 PM   #17
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
But now I have a Jeep front axle so I should be safe.
But what about the rest of the car?! Haha, no no. I'd trust an Exploder on Fireblown tires over a Chevy Blazer (90s) or a Cherokee any day.

I'd also rather have a Ranger over an S10. But I'd avoid that 3L Ford motor like the plague. The only way I'd buy a Ranger would be with that 4L Mazda motor.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:54 PM   #18
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
Well played sir
Ever heard the one for Chevrolet?

Cracked Head Every Valve Rattles Oil Leaks Exhaust Too
Old 11-21-2008, 09:02 AM   #19
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
But what about the rest of the car?! Haha, no no. I'd trust an Exploder on Fireblown tires over a Chevy Blazer (90s) or a Cherokee any day.

I'd also rather have a Ranger over an S10. But I'd avoid that 3L Ford motor like the plague. The only way I'd buy a Ranger would be with that 4L Mazda motor.
I had a 91 Ranger that was set up for prerunning. Both the Ranger and my Explorer have the 4.0 but it's not a Mazda engine. It was designed by the Ford Motor Company in Cologne, Germany and the Explorer has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:48 PM   #20
Super Moderator

Really? I always thought that the 4L was a Mazda engine and the 3L was a Ford engine. Either way, I'd stay away from the 3L. They're always prime candidates for a valve job at only 100K miles.

And to be more specific I'd prefer the older OHV 4L to the SOHC 4L. They seem to be less problematic from what I've seen on DezertRangers. Unless I was looking to build on it.