Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 12-12-2009, 03:37 PM   #21
Super Moderator

Those Tundras got BIG.

Ben, GKULL is actually the frame expert as I remember on CF if you really want some info.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:37 PM   #22
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Essentially. But there's a reason the 74 and earlier vettes had problems with the frame cracking with high enough hp. Do a search on CF. 78 and 79 were actually the strongest C3s available and the heaviest. Strongest frame, strongest diff.

You could drop any C3 body on any C3 frame, without the frame extensions and crash harware of the later C3s, but yes, frames were different. I'm sure Glenn or Bird could explain this better than I can.
I knew they had different diffs, but didn't know there was much difference in any of the frames. I'll ask Glenn tonight. FWIW, I like my 3,100lbs full wet weight C3.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-12-2009, 03:38 PM   #23
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
I knew they had different diffs, but didn't know there was much difference in any of the frames. I'll ask Glenn tonight. FWIW, I like my 3,100lbs full wet weight C3.
GKULL
Old 12-12-2009, 03:39 PM   #24
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Uh, what? AFAIK, the frame is essentially the same 63-82.
Yep, only minor differences. Most of those were improvements. Frame reinforcements and the like.....the biggest differences is the front and rear frame areas for the rubber noses.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 12-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #25

Syclone.

Boost, because sometimes atmospheric pressure just isn't enough.

"If it has tit's or tires, you can be pretty sure your going to have problems with them..."
Old 12-13-2009, 12:55 AM   #26
Graphics B*tch

Quote:
Leedom and SoCal55, you guys are both stupid.

I don't care if a 97 is considered a different model, and I don't care if an Edge is a different model. They only changed the front grill and sidemarkers! I won't grant them a 3rd gen until they actually change the body style!

They put a different bumper on the Edge and a cowl in the hood and I'm supposed to consider it a different model? No.

I just called a 99 Viper a 1st gen in the other thread, are you going to cry about that too because they added a hatchback window since the original?

Going by this logic Corvettes would be on the 12th generation.

= =
Sorry if I considered a front end change and completely new suspension from the i-beam to the a-arm a new Gen. I am an idiot. You are all knowing.

Based on your logic, does Sean and my gen mustang get lumped into the 93-98 since all they really did was sharpen some lines. Other than that they look pretty similar. same profile.
99-04

94-98

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 12-13-2009, 01:45 AM   #27

What I used to own. 1976 Ford F150 4X4 with the short wide bed. 428SCJ instead of the 360 (last year for FE block trucks) with 4 speed manual, two speed transfer case. Twin shocks in the front. Torsen equipped Dana 44 and Detroit locker equipped 9" rear. I never got stuck in that truck. It would go everywhere.

Bob

2003 Honda Accord EX
1973 Datsun 240Z

Old 12-13-2009, 12:25 PM   #28
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedom View Post
Sorry if I considered a front end change and completely new suspension from the i-beam to the a-arm a new Gen. I am an idiot. You are all knowing.

Based on your logic, does Sean and my gen mustang get lumped into the 93-98 since all they really did was sharpen some lines. Other than that they look pretty similar. same profile.
99-04

94-98
Sharpen some lines? Really? Did you not notice that every single body panel is different on those two different generations? Find one external body panel that would swap over, just one. Now answer me this, how is it that I was able to install 98 - 03 tail lights in my friends 94 Ranger with only some custom wiring? And tell me you'd notice a difference if we took an entire Ranger bed (fenders and tailgate) from a newer truck and dropped it on an 93. And tell me why 93-97 Rangers run the same one piece flared front end that the later trucks do. (See below) I'd like to see you transfer the front end of a 94 Mustang onto your car. If you can do this, I will give you my car.

But yes, I'm glad you acknowledge that you and Sean have the same gen Mustang. Even though Sean has a different hood, different front bumper, (a complete front end change, more than they did to the Ranger) a different rear bumper and a different drivetrain. Oh yeah, and a different rear suspension setup. And probably a bunch of other stuff that I don't know about.

Yes I know about the I beams, and actually, unless you own your own fab shop and can move the motor back, move the frame in, so that you can move the a-arms in far enough and make them long enough for decent travel, I beams are the way to go. Which would be... 2nd gen right?

Old 12-13-2009, 10:15 PM   #29
Graphics B*tch

Quote:
And tell me why 93-97 Rangers run the same one piece flared front end that the later trucks do. (See below) I'd like to see you transfer the front end of a 94 Mustang onto your car. If you can do this, I will give you my car.
Guess what, you can also get a flared fiberglass F-150 front end for your ranger as well and it looks like it was always part of the look of the truck when you use custom parts to prove your point. you can convert your 87 ranger to the front end of a 94 ranger with a conversion clip front end too. I for sure could blend a customer made front end of a 94 mustang to the front of my 03 mustang.

Quote:
Yes I know about the I beams, and actually, unless you own your own fab shop and can move the motor back, move the frame in, so that you can move the a-arms in far enough and make them long enough for decent travel, I beams are the way to go. Which would be... 2nd gen right?
That statement is a matter of opionion. There are pros and cons to both suspensions, but if I had my choice I would go a-arm. Granted it would be a widened a-arm to get more travel but still an a-arm (can get up to 17" of travel without changing motor location or frame). The camber change is more suitable for stability in my mind. The i-beam are a tough suspension though and easy to get A LOT of travel out of (16"-20"+). I would be happy with either out in the dirt. And yes, 2nd gen ranger in my eyes is the I beam from 93-97

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 12-13-2009, 10:43 PM   #30
Fast & Filthy

An A-arm suspension is superior to the I-beam in terms of handling. However, you are limited to just how much travel (14-15 inches) you can get with the stock mounting locations without overly widening the front end. Now on the I-beam suspension you can get much more with the stock I-beam mounting locations but you do have to move the radius arm mounting locations back and use extended radius arms. But you can get 20+ inches of travel fairly easy. In terms of cost the I-beam suspension wins hands down. If I were to choose a truck to build as a prerunner it would definately be a pre '76 F150 with the I-beams.