Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 10-16-2012, 11:10 PM   #1

Default Phone Data Logger Apps

Wanted to ask if anyone here uses or has had any experience with any data logger apps for mobile devices? I just got the full version of 'Torque' on my android phone. It seemed like the best app with the most options. I also have aDyno so I guess I'll try it soon. Just waiting on the bluetooth obdII interface I ordered. If it all works, it should mean I will have a data logger and ecu scanner setup for a $20 investment. Oh, and it seems that you can transfer the saved logs to a windows pc.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #2

I think Innovative has a OBDII app with the Bluetooth plug.

Boost, because sometimes atmospheric pressure just isn't enough.

"If it has tit's or tires, you can be pretty sure your going to have problems with them..."
Old 10-16-2012, 11:42 PM   #3
I, Vettezuki

I use Torque Pro with a cheapy interface, grand total $25. It logs and emails logs in CSV format, so computer doesn't matter. It has plugins like video data overlay too. Works fine. The difference between the cheap interfaces and the considerably more expensive ones is data rate. There's a noticable, but small log between an action and it showing up in the display. That's not the app's fault, just the speed of the interface. Apparently the more expensive Bluetooth interfaces are quicker. Don't really care in my case. It's fun to play with and logs ANYTHING the ECU spits out, plus acceleration from the phones accelerometer (probably not super accurate, but fun) and integrates with GPS if you want a google earth file, etc.

Making videos requires transferring to PC and using some additional (free) 3rd Party tools. I didn't have any problem but some folks stumble around a bit with it.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-17-2012, 12:56 AM   #4

In my phone Torque has an option to speed up the data rate with a Samsung Android phone like mine. I enabled it, hope it helps. Thanks for the input. I'll post up how it goes when I recieve the interface.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian View Post
I think Innovative has a OBDII app with the Bluetooth plug.
I havent seen the one from Innovative, didnt pop up in my app search. Other than Torque I have aDyno and Clockwork but Torque seems to be the better one.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:04 AM   #6
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5Natie View Post
In my phone Torque has an option to speed up the data rate with a Samsung Android phone like mine. I enabled it, hope it helps. Thanks for the input. I'll post up how it goes when I recieve the interface.
On my DroidX it crapped out and defaulted to the slower rate. I'll give it a whirl on my S3.

Torque is pretty stout. About my only real complaint is that it defaults to metric. Which would make sense in a sane world, but . . .

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-17-2012, 01:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
On my DroidX it crapped out and defaulted to the slower rate. I'll give it a whirl on my S3.

Torque is pretty stout. About my only real complaint is that it defaults to metric. Which would make sense in a sane world, but . . .
I set it up in US measurements, hope it stays like that. Let me know how it works on the Galaxy S3 since I may get one soon. Also you didnt have to buy the app again for a different phone right?
Old 10-17-2012, 02:07 AM   #8
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5Natie View Post
I set it up in US measurements, hope it stays like that. Let me know how it works on the Galaxy S3 since I may get one soon. Also you didnt have to buy the app again for a different phone right?
App works fine with S3 and no you don't have to buy again. In fact it's transparent because it's associated with your Google account. I was worried about the PITA factor too, but it was literally nothing. FTM, it was $5, which didn't' bother me, just don't like spending time repeating myself.

As for speed, haven't tried yet; I'll give it a whirl.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-17-2012, 03:22 AM   #9

Cool. I know its only $5 but I hate having to do something twice and setting it up again, just lazy. Lol. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #10

This is the mini interface I ordered. Since the obdII access port on the C5 is right under the steering column, I wanted the shortest one possible so I wouldnt hit with my legs since Im a taller driver.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190734370103?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_t rksid=p3984.m1438.l2649