Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 12-23-2010, 01:09 AM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default American Top Gear

American Top gear is kinda grow'n on me. I especially like Wood, he has some pretty funny moments. I thought it would be total failure, but, while it's got a long way to go to hit the original level, I'm watch'n it.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-23-2010, 01:50 AM   #2

Yep, same here. All they need is some chemistry for the live bits and original challenges.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:14 AM   #3
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by AARP View Post
Yep, same here. All they need is some chemistry for the live bits and original challenges.
People forget sometimes that TG in its current form took years and years to evolve, with different hosts over time. I think some more chemistry might evolve over some time with these guys. We'll see. But it's not bad for a start. I thought Adam Corolla would have been an obvious guy to get, but he's much more known, and having one "start" might have messed up the equilibrium of these three guys. On a side note, I think Ezra Dyer (Automobile) might be a good future candidate.

So far the skits are pretty much directly derivative of the BBC version, but that's an obviously smart place to start for a variety of reasons. There's a lot of things the guys could do that are way more American, that the BBC guys either couldn't or wouldn't do, for example.

- Dirt track, Midget Car, etc.
- Monster Trucks
- Unlimited Trucks, or anything Baja oriented
- Pike's Peak
- Texas Mile
- Silverstate Classic
- Grass Roots 1/4 Mile
- Week of speed at the Salt Flats
- Americans are WAY more into modifying their own cars; and have a hot rod history the Europeans just read about. Lots of opportunities.

Also, the Europeans are pretty snotty about all the great roads they have (and they certainly do), but they seem to think everything here is just a desert hwy in straight lines. Uh, no. We probably have as many or more miles of great roads as they have in all of Europe.

They should hire me as a consultant.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-23-2010, 06:01 AM   #4
Black as death, hotter than hell, and sweeter than love.

All people really wanted was the Original Top Gear to be shown when it was shown in the UK, not 6 months after. Instead History threw together something which is debatable...to say the least, I will never get over the poor cast selection. I would even prefer the myth busters and mike rowe over the clowns they selected. Regardless, I will still flip it on because I love cars but some of the things they say make me cringe. I do agree with you about it needing time and all that but that again goes to my original point how everyone I have talked to just wanted to see the UK version on time.

Last edited by DarkestSpade : 12-23-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:41 AM   #5

I actually find Wood to be the least impressive of the hosts. Tanner just blows my mind with some of the car control abilities he puts on display during their stunts. It may lack some of the witty banter of the english one, but it has definitely grown on me a bit.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #6

I hate to say it, bit my perception has gone the other way.

After going to one of the tapings it really seemed like it would be a good show; the three presenters got along well in person.

However i find myself quickly becoming bored as hell during the broadcasts. The challenges, while amusing, become dull very fast and I, like spade, find myself watching it only because it is a car program.

I still have hope it will get better...
Old 12-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalC55 View Post
I hate to say it, bit my perception has gone the other way.

After going to one of the tapings it really seemed like it would be a good show; the three presenters got along well in person.

However i find myself quickly becoming bored as hell during the broadcasts. The challenges, while amusing, become dull very fast and I, like spade, find myself watching it only because it is a car program.

I still have hope it will get better...
What he said
Old 12-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #8
I, Vettezuki

This is all reasonable for people very familiar with the original TG, because it is what it is, an imitation. Imitations can only ever be close to the original . . at best. The current BBC form of TG has been perfected and has BIG BUCK talent. The question becomes, will American TG pick up a completely new American audience, which might be a big part of the reason for doing an American variant. Only time will tell.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-23-2010, 05:50 PM   #9

The problem people have is that they are expecting th 15 years of experience the the UK version has. Their original episodes were lame, now they are awsome. But the producers do try to hard to make the US version the same as the UK version.

Boost, because sometimes atmospheric pressure just isn't enough.

"If it has tit's or tires, you can be pretty sure your going to have problems with them..."
Old 12-23-2010, 06:10 PM   #10

I love the new US top gear....yes it takes a wile to get into it but the last episode sold me on it
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20