Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems
View Poll Results: Which do you strongly prefer: studs or bolts?
Studs 3 75.00%
Bolts 1 25.00%
Neither. It depends completely on the application. 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2012, 01:14 AM   #11
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Not in the Cobra. I leave the headers on so I wouldn't be able to remove them with studs. I'd have to remove all the studs to get them out.

On the Chevelle, I'd be able to remove the passenger side head but not the drivers because the brake booster is in the way.

I've replaced the head gaskets once in the Cobra because I was using the stock replacment Felpro and I got a coolant leak. The MLS ones I've had no problem with.

I've also had to replace one set on the Chevelle but that was because the first time I ran the nitrous I forgot to retard the timing and it detonated and reuined the head gaskets.
Even removing all the studs isnt that big a deal, they're allen tipped and remove just like a bolt.

Your car is a freak, there are countless guys on corral and yellow bullet who are plagued with HG issues even after studs. SBF are notorious for blowing head gaskets.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!
Old 06-27-2012, 01:15 AM   #12
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
As fasteners, it's clear studs are objectively superior. The price difference is not really such a big deal when we're talking about an engine system anyway. The benefit of being able to remove heads in car is nice, but in a car that will be as radically stripped as the Snake, pulling the engine may not be much of a big deal really. I'm 99% sure bolts will be adequate as the estimated power <= 500RWHP and I don't see doing much to make it more than that. My onnly slilght concern is that's a big dumb simple roots blower that probably rocks the hell out of the intake and puts a more lateral force on the heads than they'd ever get with NA or Procharger etc. Whether it's enough to subtantively increase risk I don't know. Curious what Joe runs because he's run this combo and related for years.

Guy, for reference what's the price difference bolts vs. studs?
Check summit for ARP stuff. Pro Comp studs are about $44
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!
Old 06-27-2012, 02:01 AM   #13
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
Check summit for ARP stuff. Pro Comp studs are about $44

Oh hell if the Pro Comp is OE equivalent to ARP and a set of studs <$50, it's a non-issue. Studs it'll be. The engine is outside of the car and will be fully assmebled before dropping. As stated before it will always be stripped (never A/C, heater, etc.) so even IF it has to be removed it won't be near the hassle it is on road cars. Fahget about it.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Curious what Joe runs because he's run this combo and related for years.
I ran ARP bolts. I blew a head gasket almost immediately, but then switched to MLS and never had a problem. Well, at least not with the head gaskets.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?
Old 06-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #15
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Oh hell if the Pro Comp is OE equivalent to ARP and a set of studs <$50, it's a non-issue. Studs it'll be. The engine is outside of the car and will be fully assmebled before dropping. As stated before it will always be stripped (never A/C, heater, etc.) so even IF it has to be removed it won't be near the hassle it is on road cars. Fahget about it.
When held in the hand its difficult to tell the difference. ARP is definitely superior but we havnt had issues with the procomp studs.

Stopping the world!
Old 06-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #16
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
When held in the hand its difficult to tell the difference. ARP is definitely superior but we havnt had issues with the procomp studs.
Ok, on quality, how about ARP bolts (which apparently you have) vs. Pro Comp studs?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #17
pain's fun, hit me again

Not sure what you mean, I have both procomp and arp studs on various motors. I also have a set of arp head bolts. The spare motor with forged internals has arp head and main studs. No issues with pro comp so far. I'd say they're a good bet.

Give Eddy a call and tell him you want the felpro 1133 head gasket and tell him you're from motorgen that way you pay over the phone.

Stopping the world!
Old 07-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #18
Super Moderator

Haha, thats not a biased poll. Why not phrase it: which do you prefer, spending $60 on a product, or $130 on a comparable product?

No one is contesting, nor would anyone contest that studs are better than bolts. Mine was a cost vs. benefit argument. Besides I conceeded that with a ten bolt cyl head design even Id shell out the extra cash.

Heres another idea for a poll, how many of you have PERSONALLY experiened head bolt failure?Doubt we'll have even one member.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #19
Super Moderator

Btw, just voted on studs.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #20
Super Moderator

Ben, stay away from pro comp crap. I went through a set of pro comp rockers in 15k miles. We'll be taking the heads off so many times, ARP will save money in the long run.