Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 05-23-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Cambria lost.

To an Aston Martin coupe. She really let me down, it was a traction issue, not a horsepower issue.

He wanted to go off the line, so I launched light and feathered the throttle. Spun still. I don't know if it's just that I'm used to the quicker acceleration or what, but I was barely on the gas and I didn't feel like I was launching all that hard and it still spun like crazy.

So I short shifted into 2nd, gave it some more throttle still feathering it. Felt like it was hooking so I layed into it and then it got squirrely. So I short shifted into 3rd, hooked and started to pull on him. But by then I was doing 80 in a 45 so I said fuck it.

Don't want to lose my license. If only we were on the freeway. I think more than an intercooler I need some drag radials.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #2
Internet Tough Guy

Which Austin Martin model was it? I don't think any of them are terribly fast.
2009 Jetta Auto 2.5 liter
Old 05-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
Which Austin Martin model was it? I don't think any of them are terribly fast.
It was a coupe, had dealer plates I think. Looked like the Bond one, kinda sorta.

Suck my dick. You and your damn 325s. You ruin my life.

I think the car will hook better with some taller 295 drag radials. I talked with a Cobra guy that last run who had serious traction issues, and he said he can actually hook in 1st now with the drag radials.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I came across a present gen ACR Viper on the freeway two days ago. I so badly wanted a piece, but my gf wouldn't allow it. Whipped, yes.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:23 PM   #5

Check out the new Nitto tire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?
Old 05-23-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedls View Post
Check out the new Nitto tire.
KJ, the tech editor for 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords magazine was running on those this weekend. He had a really hard time hooking up with them but then again his Mustang is putting down 650rwhp. I brought my MT ET Streets for him to try but he ended up breaking something in the rearend before he had a chance to try them.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:14 PM   #7
I, Vettezuki

It's always the same story.

Power? Not really a problem to build a powerful motor.
Traction? Known solutions, bigger stickier rubber.
Beefed up driveline for power and traction? Known solutions.

Putting them altogether in a street driven car. Fuc*ing unicorn.

enkei, you did say two sensible things in the same thread.
- yeah, DRs are more important for you than an intercooler (if you want to actually go forward from a dig.)
- you better listen Dr. MB.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-24-2010, 12:59 AM   #8
Graphics B*tch

I have not had the pleasure of riding in Adam's can but you need to get some traction. Every time you talk your stories are all the.. Light gas... spin, short shift... and repeat. Nice to have as much HP as you do but what is the point if you can't really put it to the ground.

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 05-24-2010, 03:26 AM   #9
Internet Tough Guy

Sounds to me like a driver issue. I actually only run 275s front and 295s back Toyo R888s. I do take the rear shock to almost full soft compression and full hard rebound when I go drag racing to help hook.
2009 Jetta Auto 2.5 liter
Old 05-24-2010, 03:55 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
It's always the same story.

Power? Not really a problem to build a powerful motor.
Traction? Known solutions, bigger stickier rubber.
Beefed up driveline for power and traction? Known solutions.

Putting them altogether in a street driven car. Fuc*ing unicorn.

enkei, you did say two sensible things in the same thread.
- yeah, DRs are more important for you than an intercooler (if you want to actually go forward from a dig.)
- you better listen Dr. MB.
My gf is a doctor. Yes, yes she is. A doctor, my girlfriend... the doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedom View Post
I have not had the pleasure of riding in Adam's can but you need to get some traction. Every time you talk your stories are all the.. Light gas... spin, short shift... and repeat. Nice to have as much HP as you do but what is the point if you can't really put it to the ground.
What good is your tune if you can't put your foot into it because of detonation? It's good for acceleration when you sort everything out, that's what it's good for!

Like I've said, I never intended to make this much power with that motor. Second, I've never owned any other vehicle with even a third this much power. So how was I supposed to know that with $700 275 Nittos traction would be such an issue.

I'll sort it out eventually, but yeah, right now the car is only good for racing people on the freeway. Which is really what I like to do with it anyways. Racing on the streets is asking for it. I could have and probably would have taken that Viper no problem. But hey, doctor's orders.

And I would have taken this guy, if I was willing to go 100mph on Orangethorpe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
Sounds to me like a driver issue. I actually only run 275s front and 295s back Toyo R888s. I do take the rear shock to almost full soft compression and full hard rebound when I go drag racing to help hook.
You think a car that can roast the tires from a roll on the freeway in 3rd gear has a driver issue and not a traction issue? Doubt it. You just wanted to take another jab at my balls.

A more realistic statement is that my car has severe traction issues, but with a better driver, such as yourself, launching would be a much more attainable feat. Even with the insufficient 275s.

Also, these tires are maybe 5 or 6 years old now, and feel kind of hard. Also, you probably drop your air pressure down to 20ish to race I'd guess. While mine was at a stiff 35-40 for good mileage and tire wear on a 200 mile round trip to SD.