Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 02-10-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default RX-Snake: Suspension and Steering

When are you guys planning on doing the suspension, and what do you plan to do with it?
Old 02-10-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
When are you guys planning on doing the suspension, and what do you plan to do with it?
First stage is to use 90/10 struts up front and some adjustable shocks in the back. If the IRS, either the current one or the beefier TII works, then maybe down the road we can update to a slightly more Gucci adjustable setup. But if the IRS turns out to be unusable, there's not much point in much more than basic struts and adjustable rear shocks. We'll plug these in when the car comes back to my house, roughly a couple/few weeks.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-10-2009, 06:34 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Let's solid mount this bitch! Hahaha.

Ben, thought about drilling a small hole through the center of those lugs? Then a larger hole, then a larger one...
Old 05-10-2009, 10:55 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Let's solid mount this bitch! Hahaha.

Ben, thought about drilling a small hole through the center of those lugs? Then a larger hole, then a larger one...

We'll probably be using a mix of UHMW and solid bits. I'll also drop the whole suspension and weld up the seams.

http://mmr-direct.com/catalog1/RX7FC/index.htm

As for lugs, drilling through the hardened studs will take forever. I broke out papa's medieval gas tanks and cutting torch the other day. The lugs are much softer than the studs and it *seems* I'll be able to melt them out relatively easier. We'll see.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-18-2010, 12:44 AM   #5
I, Vettezuki

Got serious and put my knoggin to pressing out the hub from the knuckle to get to the rear wheel bearings. As usual, once it's clear, it's easy.

Beacuse of the somewhwat curved shape of the knuckle, it wasn't terribly obviously how to place it on the plates. The base plates really aren't necessary, they just give more clearance. Using the plates that came with the press on their sides gives enough clearance. You have to futz a little to get the knuckle to be in a balanced position, but one it is the 20 ton press pops it out like nothing.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-18-2010, 01:02 AM   #6
Fast & Filthy

This may be a stupid question but what was wrong with the hubs?
Old 06-18-2010, 01:06 AM   #7
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
This may be a stupid question but what was wrong with the hubs?
Because I have a 20 ton press I haven't used yet.

Also have to replace several studs and I think it'll be a bit easier with the hub separated. They all made some sound that wasn't perfectly smooth and one of the fronts wobbled a little.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)