Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 02-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn View Post
Looks clean bro! I have a 2004 black srt. Don't really have any mods right now, just a cai coilovers and a sts. Which one did u go with? I have the maddog 80% sts with booger bushings, I love it.
Thanks. It's the first new car I ever bought, so I've tried hard to keep it in good shape. I don't have a garage, so it's not easy, but it's held up pretty well. I went with the Maddog 50% with Rage-Tek bushings. It's definitely a nicely made piece of equipment.

Which coilovers are you running, and what do you think of their ride quality? I thought of going w/ coilovers, but I've been told that they ride significantly more harshly than springs, and that the adjustment mechanisms can easily get clogged up with road grime. I put a high priority on handling, but the ride needs to be liveable on a daily basis.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:35 AM   #22
Boost Junkie

i have megan racing coilovers on a softer setting right now. worth the bucks. but pick them up from the factory. it'll be cheaper. i'll elaborate more on it later.

Best ET 14.668 see timeslip
Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
I'd race ya, but you'd eat me up dawg!!!
Old 02-03-2010, 07:16 AM   #23
Boost Junkie

Ok its later...

The megan racing coilovers are awesome imo. They are inexpensive and good quality. 32 way adjustable damping for soft medium and hard settings. Height adjustable and u can get LOW on these lol. Fronts have adjustable camber, rears do not ( that's fairly standard on most coilovers I think). They can be anywhere from about 650 I hear to about 900 if u look at the right places. I also believe the srt community recommends the BC inverted coilovers... But I don't know the difference other then extra $$$. Pt-performance has a set of coilovers that's also really good.

One nice thing is that BC makes a set of rear camber plates to sell seperately and they also bolt up to the megan racing coilovers

As far as rideability is concerned I've never owned springs, and with few exceptions I probably never will. Srt4 stock shocks are not designed for prolonged driving at compression like that. U will blow them out, the springs will sag, they will become bouncy and annoying and you will regret not spending the extra $$$ later. In my experience the springs tend to be a little bouncier. I prefer the coilovers because you maintain full shock travel and you have the adjustability of how hard the ride is. It takes a high quality shock to mate to a set of springs and have them last and perform exceedingly well. MINI S for example. I know some guys running better times on springs then coilovers because of the amazing shock design (I know nothing about it so don't ask lol) on an srt I'm not so sure its going to perform even half as well as a c/o, but that's my opinion. If handling is a priorityn pick up some megan racing coilovers and throw them on a soft setting! good luck bro!!!

Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
Old 02-03-2010, 10:03 PM   #24

Thanks, I appreciate the input. I've had pretty good luck running springs on my SRT w/ stock shocks (30K miles on Mopars, 20K on the Vogtlands), but I'll probably eventually make the switch to coilovers to get the ride and height adjustability.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:50 AM   #25
Boost Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal SRT View Post
Thanks, I appreciate the input. I've had pretty good luck running springs on my SRT w/ stock shocks (30K miles on Mopars, 20K on the Vogtlands), but I'll probably eventually make the switch to coilovers to get the ride and height adjustability.
the mopar s1 springs are great, especially because it's a fairly mild drop (looks good tho for realz ) and it doesn't hurt that they are designed by mopar for the stock shocks. I've never heard of the Vogtlands, but as long as nothings sagging then ur good Ur car do what you like I personally just prefer coils on all my rides, my last car i put coils on as my first mod. suspension before power ftw!!!

I got some bushings that needa be replaced, tires that need to be bought, and an alignment that needs to happen and then I'll be hitting up the cruises again probably. just gotta make sure my car is dialed in 100% for leaks lines and electrical.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
Old 02-08-2010, 09:50 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn View Post
the mopar s1 springs are great, especially because it's a fairly mild drop (looks good tho for realz ) and it doesn't hurt that they are designed by mopar for the stock shocks. I've never heard of the Vogtlands, but as long as nothings sagging then ur good Ur car do what you like I personally just prefer coils on all my rides, my last car i put coils on as my first mod. suspension before power ftw!!!

I got some bushings that needa be replaced, tires that need to be bought, and an alignment that needs to happen and then I'll be hitting up the cruises again probably. just gotta make sure my car is dialed in 100% for leaks lines and electrical.
A car's never done, is it? I just plunked down a decent chunk of change to have the camshaft and crank sensors replaced. Of course, my "bumper to bumper" extended warranty didn't cover those particular sensors. I just talked to the Service Mgr. at the dealership today, and he said he's going to pass my complaint on to the General Mgr. who supervises the Finance Dept, since they're the ones who oversold the warranty. I'm not expecting much, but who knows? Maybe they'll surprise me...

My SRT will be due for tires in about 5K miles. I'm running Kumho Ecsta ASX's now, but I think I'm going to go with something a bit more aggressive. I'll be doing some research over the next couple of months to figure out what I want.

Not too many folks have heard of Vogtland. They're a German company that's been around for a long time overseas but just hit the American market in 2001. I met their VP of North American Operations a while back, and I was impressed with his level of knowledge. He used to be a senior product engineer for other well-known suspension companies before going to work for Vogtland, and he's done his fair share of road racing. They make a coil-over kit for the SRT, which I'd like to upgrade to, but tires are going to have to come first.