Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 11-13-2010, 10:06 PM   #1
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk
Default Driving the new F150's

So I went to the Ford Event at California Speedway and drove all the new trucks. The whole thing was really cool. When we got there we signed a waiver and off we went. The first stop was an area with all the engines on display where we were able to ask representatives questions if we had them. After that we could go get in line to drive any of the new Ford trucks, as well as a Hemi Ram and a 4.8 or 5.3 Chevy.

The course was set up basically as a road course with a drag strip in the middle. After you went through the first section of cones, you got up to an actual drag tree. I'm not exactly sure how long the drag portion was, but it was less than an 1/8th mile. After you finished the drag section it went back to a road course again and then back to where you start. The staff was very cool and actually knew a lot about the trucks. Nobody was riding along with us and the staff didn't seem to care if you pushed it

Here is the rundown of times and mph:

F150 EB 6.744@58.98
F150 5.0 6.796@57.1
F150 6.2 6.650@58.77
F150 EB 6.621@59.28
Ram 5.7 6.728@57.19
Silve 5.3 7.122@52.79

The time between my first EB run and my 2nd was well over an hour. During that time the truck was driven non-stop. It was a relatively warm day and obviously heat soak wasn't too much of an issue.

My favorite truck was the EcoBoost F150. Great power everywhere and very fun to drive with all the low end torque. I was really surprised by the 5.0 though. I wasn't expecting it to be a very good truck motor. I know they changed a lot from the Mustang version, but I was expecting it to be lacking in low end power. It wasn't, the 5.0 was great and was very fun to drive. The 6.2 was also nice and was the only Ford with non-electric steering. My friends thought the electric steering on the EB and 5.0 trucks was too light, and preferred the 6.2. I know what they mean, but I think for most owners the electric steering would be a lot easier to deal with in day to day use. As far as the 6.2 itself, it's a nice engine, but I personally don't think it's worth the extra money and I'd rank it behind both the EcoBboost and 5.0 if I were buying.

The Hemi Ram was a nice truck with lots of grunt, but in my opinion lacked the refinement of the F150's. It seemed to have about the same amount of power as the 5.0, but felt slower than the EcoBoost. The interior felt a little cheaper to me also, but I'm not sure exactly what trim level I was driving.

The Silverado felt ancient and cheap. It was a Z71 5.3 and it just felt like it was a generation behind the others. The interior plastics were hard and ugly, and the powertrain just wasn't in the same league. When the Silverado hit 2nd if felt like it just laid down, where as the other trucks (especially the EB) felt like they were really picking up.

Overall I came away very impressed. If I were spending the money I'd rank the trucks EB, 5.0, 6.2, Ram, Silverado.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:48 PM   #2
Graphics B*tch

I agree with Sean pretty much on everything. The event was very well run and the staff was very friendly and willing to answer any questions.

All the trucks were great and I even got to drive the EB with about 6,700 lbs behind it and it seamed to handle it with no problem. Mind you I am not a guy who has towed a lot but the truck pulled just fine. they let you floor it in a few of the straights and the MPH climbed steadily. The trailer seamed to fall pretty much in line with the truck and never felt like it was overpowering the truck. If I were looking for a truck right now the EB would be my choice.

I personally do not care for the electric steering. It was not bad but I felt I had to turn the wheel to much to get the steering I needed.

On a side note. We found that Sean can beat me in drag racing with an automatic. Evedentally his biggest problem is the manual gear box.

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten