Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-04-2010, 07:06 PM   #11
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitsdatguy View Post
I don't know too much about the 93-98 supras, but I believe the HP rating that is shown is incorrect. It's 280HP in japan(gentlemen's agreement) and in some other countries it's 320HP. If I remember correctly, the 89-92 twin-turbo ran mid 13's and the 93-98 ran mid to high 12's. I got to find some links.

- Dawly
I believe the MKIV's were 320 in the States, but I've never heard of one running in the 12's stock. I found an old magazine article from the mid/early 90's with a tuner Supra running 13.1 though.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:34 PM   #12

You are correct. I found the link. The stock MKIV supras ran 13.3(export model) and 13.8 japanland model.

http://www.mkiv.co.nz/specs.htm

edit - weird how the japland model had less HP and more TQ though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CARTune independent service
7960 ronson rd.
San Diego, CA. 92111
shop phone - 858-715-1804
Old 01-06-2010, 05:50 PM   #13
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
You are correct. I found the link. The stock MKIV supras ran 13.3(export model) and 13.8 japanland model.

http://www.mkiv.co.nz/specs.htm

edit - weird how the japland model had less HP and more TQ though.
It was the time period when they had relatively serious street/mountain racing issues. The manufacturers had their "gentleman's agreement". Now the great thing about Japan is that there is the "appearance of things" and "the way they are." I don't know about the Supra specifically, but the Evo you could buy, just about literally drive around the corner and pop in the big boy tune and you were literally off to the races.

Now though, at least on the GT-R they integrate GPS into the ECM. There's a top speed governor (like 100 or so) when outside of race tracks. Drive onto a racetrack and poof, limiter automatically removed.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 02-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #14

Quote:
I don't know too much about the 93-98 supras, but I believe the HP rating that is shown is incorrect. It's 280HP in japan(gentlemen's agreement) and in some other countries it's 320HP. If I remember correctly, the 89-92 twin-turbo ran mid 13's and the 93-98 ran mid to high 12's. I got to find some links.

- Dawly
The Mk3 1jz JDM supra ran in the mid 14's. The USDM 7m supras were high 14 low 15 second cars. There was no stock Mk3 supra that could break into the 13's.

The USDM Mk4 supra (320hp) ran a mid 13. No stock Mk4 supra could break into the 12's.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #15
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraperio View Post
The Mk3 1jz JDM supra ran in the mid 14's. The USDM 7m supras were high 14 low 15 second cars. There was no stock Mk3 supra that could break into the 13's.

The USDM Mk4 supra (320hp) ran a mid 13. No stock Mk4 supra could break into the 12's.
This man knows his Supras
Old 02-12-2010, 12:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
This man knows his Supras
You gotta know what the other guy is running
Old 02-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #17
Internet Tough Guy

The nice thing about supras was that they picked up power soo quick. The MkIII where blah. The MkIV were different. They has fuel maps already in the stock ECUs that covered serious boost levels. The 2Jz actually shared most of it's archetecture with toyota's indy car motor.

I personally saw a 2jz put down 430 rwhp with intake, exhast, lockwire on the wastegate, and a boost controller. NO TUNNING. Later that same car had the RPS single turbo kit and was rocking 850 rwhp.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:41 PM   #18

Default motorweek video w/ early-mid 90's japanese cars

Sorry, didn't read the whole thread but I did find this video. Old motorweek episode. Has the 300zx turbo, 3000gt vr-4, mkIV supra, and 3rd gen rx-7, my personal fav See 3:25 for the supra section.

$49k (1990's dollars!)
320 hp/315 lb-ft Toyota spec?
5.8 sec 0-60 mph
14.1 @ 105 mph 1/4 mile (we all know that depends heavily on many factors)

I've always like the Supras though, they are mean as hell and it doesn't take much to make a lot of reliable power.

2001 DC4 Acura Integra

Old 10-26-2010, 05:49 AM   #19

it is a heavy car...thats the only reason why it ran those time...still one hell of a bad ass car in my opinion