Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 09-10-2008, 04:35 PM   #11
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
Actually, last time that I was at California speedway I broke into th 120s (at ninety some degrees track temp). I think the car as alot more MPH left in it also. I'm running straight up street tires. Not Drag radials. I think If I slap on a set of DR's I will pick up a decent amount of MPH. Right know I'm almost in third before I can go all the way flat out. Also, I have to granny shift the shit out of the car. That alone is worth a couple of tenths. Finally, I've had the car out a total of maybe five times drag racing. With the exception of the first time I took it to Cal speedway the car has improved on E.T. or MPH every time.

Right now it stands 12.3 @120 with a 2.19 60' on 19" Michellene PS2. No NOS No Blower!

DRs won't really make up any MPH. They make all their difference in the 60', that is the time it takes for initial acceleration. My MPH on DRs and Street tires is virtually identical. Your car is possibly a high 10 car on DRs at a great track and a ringer run. But you should be able to pull off mid 11s all day long at a good track on DRs. If you want to see just how different your mph/et can be because of temp and altitude, I'll probably be going to Irwindale a week from this Thursday night.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 09-10-2008, 06:50 PM   #12
Internet Tough Guy

In my old blown Mustang GT I consistently ran 3-4 MPH faster on DRs than on street tires (30rwhp less than the vette). You are right with the 60' statement. But there are a lot of cars that are not flat out way past the 60'. Also, any MPH you gain in the 60 you will carry through the traps.

Now your car (though bad ass) make a bit less power than mine. Have you ever had much problems hooking up past the 60' maybe the 330'. I'm pedaling the vette until about 65ish mph (not sure where that is distance wise, but the 1/8is at 93mph). Now how much more MPH will the car pick up if I can go flat out at the top of first?

This is one reason I have waited to install the KW Coilovers (springs 10% stiffer than stock). I wanted to get a good run before, because afterwards it will be harder to hook up.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:08 PM   #13
Fast & Filthy

Actually, I've run the Cobra once on my radials (275/40/17 at the time) and picked up 2 mph over running my slicks. I also had to take it easy in first and second and then went hard in third. However, my slicks are about an inch and a half taller than the radials and I think the gearing is why. Your Vette most likely has a lot more torque down low than my Cobra does. So you shouldn't have the same issue as me.

I've also ran the Chevelle on a set of 255/60/15 BFG drag radials and they spun past the 1/8. I only ran a 12.?? but the MPH was 119.

Hooking up out of the hole also presents more issue that you haven't had to deal with yet. Will the clutch hold the power? My previous clutch (Center Force Dual Friction) wouldn't. It would hold first but when I grabbed second it would let go. I had to baby the first to second shift.

Will you have wheel hop? My friends GTO had it bad on Nitto drag radials but he changed to M/T ET Street radials and no longer has that issue.

Will the car bog? The same GTO had problems bogging after the tire change because the tires were no longer spinning.

It's not as easy to get a car into the 10's as people seem to think. That same GTO is now running twin turbos and makes 550rwhp. However he went from running 11.80's with a Magnacharger and 500rwhp to running 12.20's with twin turbos. He now has lag coming out of the hole but turns 123 mph. He thought for sure that he would be close to 10's with the turbos.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:43 PM   #14
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
. . . Now your car (though bad ass) make a bit less power than mine. Have you ever had much problems hooking up past the 60' maybe the 330'. I'm pedaling the vette until about 65ish mph (not sure where that is distance wise, but the 1/8is at 93mph). Now how much more MPH will the car pick up if I can go flat out at the top of first?
Even on DRs (mine aren't really broken in yet) I can launch around 2,500 - 3,000, but have to tip in through 2nd and can go flat from 3rd. I have chirped street tires going into 4th at 90+ mph. DOH. Keep in mind my street tires are Nitto NT450s at 255/50x17, not no Gucci PS2s. Then there's the whole suspension geometry thing, it gets downright complicated. I don't really konw all that much about drag racing, but I do chuckle when people say " oh it's stupid, you just put the gas pedal to the floor."

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 09-11-2008, 09:40 PM   #15

weight reduction on the interior = free. Solid swap = free. Almo did it running a pullied cobra that was externally stock (except for wheels )

So grand total of about 1k plus wheels/tires. What do the cobra guys win?
Old 09-12-2008, 06:23 AM   #16
Internet Tough Guy

Thats absolutely amazing! 10s in a pullied cobra???? So why are the rest of hte guys stuck in the thirteens!
Old 09-12-2008, 07:49 AM   #17
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Thats absolutely amazing! 10s in a pullied cobra???? So why are the rest of hte guys stuck in the thirteens!
Same reason we see Busa's running in the 11's at Fontana.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:30 AM   #18
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic03SVT View Post
weight reduction on the interior = free. Solid swap = free. Almo did it running a pullied cobra that was externally stock (except for wheels )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS8gPzIk9uY

So grand total of about 1k plus wheels/tires. What do the cobra guys win?
Of course bone stock C6Zs have run high 10s. Cost: $0. Sure, great drivers at a great tracks, but it has been done.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 09-12-2008, 10:15 AM   #19
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Hey, I got in the 12's eventually, how dare you
Old 09-12-2008, 10:17 AM   #20
Fast & Filthy

Sean, what's your best time and what do you have done to your Cobra?