Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #21
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
The rods are forged and the pistons hypereutectic. They say, and I imagine they're right based on other similar packages, they'd be good up to 500HP or so, and I seiruosly doubt 1bar on an L48 is going to be that powerful. Now throw some heads and cam and it's a different story.
It's not the horsepower that's the issue. It's the cylinder pressure with 91 octane. With a static compression of 9:1 and 14.7 psi you're looking at the equivilent of 17.5:1 - 18:1 compression.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #22
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
It's not the horsepower that's the issue. It's the cylinder pressure with 91 octane. With a static compression of 9:1 and 14.7 psi you're looking at the equivilent of 17.5:1 - 18:1 compression.
True,but his is 8.2. What's a Cobra's (like Sean's) static comp? 8.5? Aren't they running about 1 bar with a pulley on 91?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #23
Fast & Filthy

Okay, so with 8.2:1 you're closer to around 16 - 16.5:1. That's where I'm at with my Cobra and I had to move to forged pistons because I broke 4 hypereutectic ones.

I'm not sure what the static compression is on a terminator but I believe they came with a forged piston from the factory.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #24
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Okay, so with 8.2:1 you're closer to around 16 - 16.5:1. That's where I'm at with my Cobra and I had to move to forged pistons because I broke 4 hypereutectic ones.
But you're running crazy hot IATs. ON the other hand you have aluminum heads. Then again his entire motor will be exposed to the air (off water) and will be carburated, which adds more complexity. I guess all I'm saying is I think a kit like that might plausibly and cheaply put him in the range of pushing considerably more than 6-8lbs.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #25
Fast & Filthy

Looks like we just need Adam to go ahead and add the turbo so we can see how far he can take it. I say 6psi max if he limits the total timing enough.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #26
Super Moderator

So I was planning to buy Shaolins turbo from his 7.3 diesel.

I asked my friend that worked at Honeywell if he thought I was a moron, and he got back to me today. His answer, maybe. Unlike diesels which have crazy high compression and push a lot more "mass" at lower rpms, my gas engine would need to spin a bit higher to build the boost.

And since my boat tops out at around 3K rpm right now, chances are it might not even build boost till it's already reaching it's top speed. And in that case, or worse if it never does, it is just an exhaust restriction. He said I need a blower.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #27
Super Moderator

Only problem with a roots blower is the pulley might grab some poor girls pony tail. :/
Old 01-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #28
Super Moderator

Also, roots blower is going to cost about 10x as much :/
Old 01-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #29
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
So I was planning to buy Shaolins turbo from his 7.3 diesel.

I asked my friend that worked at Honeywell if he thought I was a moron, and he got back to me today. His answer, maybe. Unlike diesels which have crazy high compression and push a lot more "mass" at lower rpms, my gas engine would need to spin a bit higher to build the boost.

And since my boat tops out at around 3K rpm right now, chances are it might not even build boost till it's already reaching it's top speed. And in that case, or worse if it never does, it is just an exhaust restriction. He said I need a blower.
I vaguely remember some thread about this, maybe even related to the snake. Turbos from diesels are no bueno for most gas engines. Missed that's where you were getting it from. Maybe somehting off an old AUdi or SAAB from a yard would work fine. They're probably too small.

By the time all is said and done, you may just be better off with an inexepensive stroker kit + red-neck H&C.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #30
Super Moderator

NA horsepower is expensive. No thanks. I'll probably end up waiting till I get a job, then buying a used mini blower. Actually, if I move somewhere with a bigger garage I'll probably sell this boat and get another one with an open bow to replace it. Then I'll most likely go big block.

Btw, I figured out why you said to me when you were checking out my jeep that diesel is a relatively rare form of fuel and I'd have to map out long trips. It seemed odd to me at first because diesel is so common, especially on long trips where semi-truck drivers are prob the fuel stations largest client base. But now it makes sense, you were trying to get back at me for talking shit on people who use race gas and octane boosters! But you can't buy Torco at Shell, sooo suck it! Haha.