Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 12-20-2010, 04:16 PM   #1
Internet Tough Guy

Default Looking for a shop or project help

Well, I finally am a home owner so it's time to re adjust my priorities back to the corvette. For those you you that weren't around I ran my car pretty fucking hard for three years until last October when the motor let go and the car caught on fire at Buttonwillow international raceway. Since then I have installed a new motor and clutch and fixed the fire damage (not really). The long term goal is to race ST1/TTU with NASA pro-racing in 2013. I have a truck and a nice race car trailer. This means aero, weight reduction, cooling, brakes, and tires in the next 24 months.

-I want to delay tear down as long as possible so the weight reduction and cage will be last. Weight reduction will consist of removal of Stereo, AC, airbags, stock seats, factory glass and side impact supports. Plus on shore duty I'm about 30 lbms lighter. The cage will be a chromoly cage that I'm going to peer pressure Ron and Ben into helping me make. Fuel cell and fire suppression will go in last too.

-Aero will start now and will consist of LG motor sports WTC wing, GT3 hood, WTC front Splinter.

-Tires will be hoosier r6s and r80s. I will be running 18x275 front and 19x295 rears. May downsize to 18's all the way around to save on tires and option up different tire options.

-brakes will be a nice to have (unfortunately) and will weight after I figure out my operating cost. At 3447 lbms driver and car (wet) I was going through pads and rotors so fast that anything really nice is cost prohibitive. I'm hoping with weight down and the new cooling ducts that they will last long enough to make a larger set-up a viable option.

-Finally, I'm debating pushing for the rear zo6/zr1 fenders which will let me run 345 series tires. This will require paint, but the car need paint now anyways. Stand bye for PM Adam.

Anyways, I will keep you guys posted and if anyone want to get some experience turning wrenched or selling old vette parts on ebay let me know.
SOme of the LG stuff is in the mail and I intend to have it with a new set of Hoosiers on the car for a Speed Ventures Corvette Challenge on the 15th and 16th of January. I could use a hand fabricating a oil cooler since everything I find online is well north of fucking $600 for a corvette.

Happy Holidays,
Carlos
2009 Jetta Auto 2.5 liter
Old 12-20-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
. . The cage will be a chromoly cage that I'm going to peer pressure Ron and Ben into helping me make.
Ron fabbed the cage, with the help of a friend for the Snake. It was mild steel . Fabbing in chromoly requires annealing the welds AIR. I'm interested in getting a pipe bender, and other related stuff, but I'm also interestd in eating regularly which is a bit sketchy at the moment. Depedning on timeline, we could work something out as a project and it'd be a hoot. If your timeline pushes up, Sean has an old neibhor friend who is (was) a full time full cage fabricator who can do anything.

Quote:
-brakes will be a nice to have (unfortunately) and will weight after I figure out my operating cost. At 3447 lbms driver and car (wet) I was going through pads and rotors so fast that anything really nice is cost prohibitive. I'm hoping with weight down and the new cooling ducts that they will last long enough to make a larger set-up a viable option.
But wouldn't a larger more thermodynamically brake setup also not wear nearly as fast?

Quote:
-Finally, I'm debating pushing for the rear zo6/zr1 fenders which will let me run 345 series tires. This will require paint, but the car need paint now anyways. Stand bye for PM Adam.
Giving props where they are do, Adam is very good with paint. What he managed to do as a first run at his Vette is impressive as hell. Obviuosly, flares and wheels increases the badassness of the Badass c6.

Quote:
I could use a hand fabricating a oil cooler since everything I find online is well north of fucking $600 for a corvette.
At least it's not a Ferrari. Lol. Mmm, I wonder if you could adapt the oil cooler from an FC? They had them standard, probably the other generations too.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-20-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
Internet Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Ron fabbed the cage, with the help of a friend for the Snake. It was mild steel . Fabbing in chromoly requires annealing the welds AIR. I'm interested in getting a pipe bender, and other related stuff, but I'm also interestd in eating regularly which is a bit sketchy at the moment. Depedning on timeline, we could work something out as a project and it'd be a hoot. If your timeline pushes up, Sean has an old neibhor friend who is (was) a full time full cage fabricator who can do anything.

But wouldn't a larger more thermodynamically brake setup also not wear nearly as fast?

Giving props where they are do, Adam is very good with paint. What he managed to do as a first run at his Vette is impressive as hell. Obviuosly, flares and wheels increases the badassness of the Badass c6.

At least it's not a Ferrari. Lol. Mmm, I wonder if you could adapt the oil cooler from an FC? They had them standard, probably the other generations too.
Cage: Appropriate PMs will be sent as I get closer. I have decent funds, but to have a shop do the work would mean paying a huge premium. Tools I can afford, 100/hour no good.

Big aftermarket brakes do last longer, but any savings is offset in the high rotor and pad cost.

Oil cooler: I will be fabricating something. I was hoping someone has done this on a c6 already?

Paint: I haven't seen Adam's car in real life, but I have heard that it nice. I'm going from black to flat black so it shouldn't be much of a challenge for anyone (but me).
Old 12-20-2010, 05:56 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Cage: Appropriate PMs will be sent as I get closer. I have decent funds, but to have a shop do the work would mean paying a huge premium. Tools I can afford, 100/hour no good.

Big aftermarket brakes do last longer, but any savings is offset in the high rotor and pad cost.

Oil cooler: I will be fabricating something. I was hoping someone has done this on a c6 already?

Paint: I haven't seen Adam's car in real life, but I have heard that it nice. I'm going from black to flat black so it shouldn't be much of a challenge for anyone (but me).

How many points were you thinking on the cage: 4, 6, 8? It's definitely beau coup thousands for a custom full cage. My brother will be working on his either 240 or 510 starting from this summer, and cageification will be in the works, so we may actually develop something approximating marginal skills in that domain.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #5
Internet Tough Guy

6 point Really Auto Power has a nice four point roll bar with cross bar and harness bar. I just don't like the rest of there setup. I was planning on buying that and then building the front end off of it. I helped make a full tube frame out of chromoly in college for formula SAE. It was very very time consuming, but we used very thin walled tubing and had very complicated joints (five bars in one joint) and required a .060 maximum gap in make the weld feasible. I'm not getting that fancy. But since my car is the base model and not the Z06 I was going to fabricate up mounting plates to connect the factory roll hoop and A pillars to the cage.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:34 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Flare it, make it wider than a Z06.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:32 AM   #7
Fast & Filthy

My buddy Joe bent up the main bar for RxSnake. I just did the rest but like Ben stated it was all .120 wall mild. I know Joe has done chromoly because he mentioned it to me before. When you're ready to do it let me know and I'll talk to Joe. You'll need to find out what the requirements (tubing O.D., thickness, number of points, etc.) are for the cage though and let us know.

I don't know anything about an oil cooler for a C6 but I added one to the Cobra to help with keeping the Vortech cool. I already had a T and line running from the block to the supercharger so I just had to make two new lines to run from the T to the oil cooler I bought and the back to the supercharger. I think I spent about $200 for everything including the cooler.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:29 AM   #8
Internet Tough Guy

Canton has some universal kits for oil coolers. I will be calling them today. With all different applications that use the LS series I would think there would be a lot of options.

Thanks for the help Ron. I expect to tear the car down between September and December of next year to have the cage installed in Spring of 2012.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #9
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
My buddy Joe bent up the main bar for RxSnake. I just did the rest but like Ben stated it was all .120 wall mild. I know Joe has done chromoly because he mentioned it to me before. When you're ready to do it let me know and I'll talk to Joe. You'll need to find out what the requirements (tubing O.D., thickness, number of points, etc.) are for the cage though and let us know.

I don't know anything about an oil cooler for a C6 but I added one to the Cobra to help with keeping the Vortech cool. I already had a T and line running from the block to the supercharger so I just had to make two new lines to run from the T to the oil cooler I bought and the back to the supercharger. I think I spent about $200 for everything including the cooler.
I need a 6 point with swing outs Ive actually been looking into it for over a year now, i have that POS harness bar that provides no roll over protection.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:07 AM   #10
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Canton has some universal kits for oil coolers. I will be calling them today. With all different applications that use the LS series I would think there would be a lot of options.

Thanks for the help Ron. I expect to tear the car down between September and December of next year to have the cage installed in Spring of 2012.
How large a cooler were you looking at?