Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 04-07-2009, 04:53 AM   #241
Power's off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
The etching I understood better than the epoxy. I get the application of epoxy now and it seems appropriate to our task.

Etching
Paint does not stick to bare metal as it comes out of a die. The surface needs to be scored. This is done with a chemical process known as etching. My understanding is that at the OEM level this is done as its own process. The self etching primer is what is used with bare metal at the non-factory level.

Update
Did a little googling. Seems that it's really only needed for new metal, not even sanded bare metal. It seems the hard core way is to use a dedicated etcher, or better yet, to media blast, then epoxy. But epoxy by itself will not stick to brand, bare, un-"etched" metal.
Correct answer.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:04 AM   #242

Send a message via AIM to kameleongt

I have white epoxy here if u guys wanna try that

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:19 AM   #243
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
... Here's the preferred order.

Sand, fill, sand, etc.

Epoxy prime. (Some say to epoxy prime before filling, I've seen tests that suggest otherwise.)

Poly primer surface. (If this is not done after 24 hours, we'll need to sand again. But you can't cover the epoxy the same day or it might not cure.)

Guide coat.

Block Sand.

Glaze, sand, etc.

Spot prime. (We can use whatever for this, I think urethane at this point is ideal.)

Sealer (Reduced epoxy.)

Coat.
While we aren't going down to bare metal, I want to do it otherwise correctly, as you have outlined here.

Quote:
But! If you want to be cheap and quick, if you care less about the long term and more about cost and your time, you can skip the epoxy, and even the urethane. Just shoot the surfacer, use it as spot primer, and finish with at least 400 grit.
I certainly appreciate you giving me economical options, but the object of the project is to learn processes and have a very good, if not ultra-max, result.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 04-07-2009, 11:22 AM   #244
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by kameleongt View Post
I have white epoxy here if u guys wanna try that
Sounds good. Most of the car will be a white base with a light blue pearl. I'm thinking to do the interior in blue pearl. Is the white epoxy primer appropriate for a blue coat? Anyway, most while be a white base and I'm guessing a white primer is appropriate. So we know that for sure. How much? I have no idea how much is an appropriate quantity.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 04-07-2009, 02:44 PM   #245
Super Moderator

The immediate end result will be the same, car won't look different with or without epoxy primer. Epoxy will simply make the paint last longer.

Blue pearl on the interior would be cool if we spray the sub boxes to match.

Don't lose focus my man, race car. The interior will be stripped, and although leaving it tan would be gay, I think we should try to hide it and all of the little ugly holes, and rough surfaces, etc. I'd shoot it with a black epoxy primer and be done with it. Solid color, durable, semigloss, that's what she needs.

Find out if that self etching stuff will etch old paint. If we could shoot the interior without sanding it... that'll save you guys hours of sanding. (Notice I removed myself from that noun)
Old 04-07-2009, 03:02 PM   #246
Super Moderator

Doood! We should totally throw in some glow pigment with the pearl to make this car glow at night! Haha. It's sort of blue too.

http://www.paintwithpearl.com/pearlstore.htm

I think the most tasteful way to do this would be to shoot over a high quality pure white, possibly a very fine metallic white, then shoot satin blue pearl in an intercoat followed by 4 or 5 coats of clear. Good clear, it would suck to ruin the effect with a shitty yellowish clear.

The satin pearl is more fine and will leave the car looking less like a glittered 60s Impala with bags and 12" wire spoke rims.

We need to do some test panels to see what effects work best, we should seriously throw in glow pigment btw. How rad would it be to have a radioactive looking snake flying down Fontana at night.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:11 PM   #247
Neanderthal

Quote:
Doood! We should totally throw in some glow pigment with the pearl to make this car glow at night! Haha. It's sort of blue too.

I think the most tasteful way to do this would be to shoot over a high quality pure white, possibly a very fine metallic white, then shoot satin blue pearl in an intercoat followed by 4 or 5 coats of clear. Good clear, it would suck to ruin the effect with a shitty yellowish clear.

The satin pearl is more fine and will leave the car looking less like a glittered 60s Impala with bags and 12" wire spoke rims.

We need to do some test panels to see what effects work best, we should seriously throw in glow pigment btw. How rad would it be to have a radioactive looking snake flying down Fontana at night.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 04-07-2009, 04:31 PM   #248
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
. . . Don't lose focus my man, race car. The interior will be stripped, and although leaving it tan would be gay, I think we should try to hide it and all of the little ugly holes, and rough surfaces, etc. I'd shoot it with a black epoxy primer and be done with it. Solid color, durable, semigloss, that's what she needs. . . .
Who said it's just a race car? If that were the case I wouldn't bother with a lot of things we're doing. It's a project car to give opportunities to explore, learn, have some fun . . . and have something that is eye catching when done. Remember it supposed to do some promotion as well, and a ghetto hack job, unless world beating in performance, isn't going to perform this critical function. No person is required to perform any labor or bear any expense they don't want to on this project. So don't feel as though you're being sucked into paying in time anything beyond what you wish to.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 04-07-2009, 04:33 PM   #249
I, Vettezuki

Quote:

Now you're talking.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 04-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #250
Super Moderator

Posted on the autobody forums about this. I really think you don't know what you're getting yourself into if you expect to sand the whole interior. But if you're set on that, here's the way to do it, hit everything you can with 320 or better (but more work) 400 grit or even just a scotch brite pad after it's all cleaned up and the rubber & crap has been removed, then shoot an adhesion promoter for all of the spots that you missed, then paint. Or if you broke through to the metal, spot prime, then paint.