Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 03-16-2009, 07:28 PM   #111
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Leedom, enkeivette, DeathCult, how's Saturday March 21 for a first meeting of the minds on body and paint, as well as starting the actual work. Anybody can come and check it out, but I want to maintain some focus on doing actual work (Sean) and 3 to 4 people hovering around a car and tossing around ideas is about the max before clusterfuckation starts to set in.

Aaron, how about the materials list yo?
The offroad cruise is the 21st so I won't be there anyway.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:54 PM   #112
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
The offroad cruise is the 21st so I won't be there anyway.
That's right. I'm able to do this because a gig just got rescheduled which is I wasn't able to make that. I'd still like to focus on the project car though. You can get the camera though.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-16-2009, 07:55 PM   #113
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Cult Aaronmageddon View Post
I have the pleasure of working a day shift on Saturday. I can meet early evening. 6ish....
I think we'll be going a bit into the evening, according to enkei if he wants.

Anywho, how bout that materials list. . .

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-16-2009, 10:28 PM   #114
Progeny of the Great Apocolypse

Well if you guys go into the night I can make it after work...
Old 03-16-2009, 10:55 PM   #115

So I've been asked to provide the basic info for fiberglass and body work.

For Fiberglass we'll need.
1) Mold release wax.
2) PVA (polyvinyl alcohol) It's a barrier coat for the mold.
3) Gel coat.
4) Fiberglass in both fabric and chopped.
5) Resin
6) Polyester Fleece for for form building.

For paint and body.
1) Rage light weight body filler.
2) Glazing compound.
3) Self etching primer and poly primer.
4) Paint and clear coat.
5) Paint gun. I all ready own a good quality one but if someone has one of
those super fancy German ones and wants to let us use it then O.K.
6) Spray booth. I don't have one of those.

O.k. I'm pumped!!! Let's do this...
Old 03-17-2009, 12:20 AM   #116
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Cult Aaronmageddon View Post
So I've been asked to provide the basic info for fiberglass and body work.

1) Mold release wax.
3) Gel coat.
5) Resin

For paint and body.
2) Glazing compound.
4) Paint and clear coat.

O.k. I'm pumped!!! Let's do this...
Word. I'm guessing the only thing we don't need is the self etching primer, sionce I think we'll be going the scuff and paint route. Taking it down to bear metal appears to be massively more work.

What about method and technique of creating molds? I think you once told me the way places like Veilside worked was to start with the stock. Build up off of that,then mold the result, then create the new part from the mold. Process?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-17-2009, 12:51 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Word. I'm guessing the only thing we don't need is the self etching primer, sionce I think we'll be going the scuff and paint route. Taking it down to bear metal appears to be massively more work.

What about method and technique of creating molds? I think you once told me the way places like Veilside worked was to start with the stock. Build up off of that,then mold the result, then create the new part from the mold. Process?
Oh yeah I forgot were not going all the way down to metal route. So were good there.

Yeah, I think the build up method will work for most of what we want to do. We'll have to figure all that out as a group. It's gonna be a lot of work but if we do it right we should have a pretty awesome end result. I have a bunch of ideas all ready.

P.S. Your quote is awesome. Mainly cause our last name. So it's like we're droppin da bomb YO.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:21 AM   #118
Super Moderator

1) Mold release wax.

1 & 2 are the same thing. PVA is a bitch to locate, I've made my own in the past. I've also heard that you can use PAM.

3) Gel coat.

We can get away without gelcoat. We'd prob just end up sanding most of it off anyhow.

The chopped stuff is much better. And if we're seriously going to make molds and not do it the ghetto way, then we don't really need the better shape holding fabric.

5) Resin

Don't forget the MEKP! Or the resin will be gooey... forever!

For paint and body.

I hear this stuff is all the rage... We can use whatever's clever. But it might crack, I've used Fibertech and I'd feel safe using it again. The more lightweight stuff like Rage is going to be more prone to cracking... oh say like... where we mold the flares into the metal! Juuust a thought.

2) Glazing compound.

I should have enough left over. I know where we can get more if we run out, but I should have enough left over for this project.

I don't know what self etching primer is, and get the thickest poly primer you can. With all this body work, it will be wavy, the thicker the primer, the more we can block and the less wavy it'll be. I used Slick Sand.

4) Paint and clear coat.

I get mixed signals about the budget on this project. We can always spray down Ben's nice pretty garage with some water to trap the dust and get overspray all over his pretty tools. Or, Resurrection Rods spray booth rental = $150 a day.

P.S. We will be going to metal where we bond in the flares. Also, we need that metal to glass adhesive. I also know where we can get this stuff, but it's $40 a tube. So if Kameleon can hook it up...
Old 03-17-2009, 02:28 AM   #119
Super Moderator

On second thought, if you can score some gel coat for cheap, go for it. It should make life easier in the long run. Also, what is polyester fleece? Also also, we need foam.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:19 AM   #120

Have no fear, I have sources for everything. I know where to locate everything we need for the fiberglass including PVA (we're not using Pam). We should defiantly use both chopped and cloth fiber for rigidity, unless we want finders that go all wobbly at speed. As far as the resin I thought I didn't need mention the catalyst seeing how it is commonly referred to as two part resin.

Foam, were still trying to figure out. The high density foam I typically use is very expensive and would cost a small fortune for the amount we're gonna use. That's where the fleece comes in. Yes, I'm talking fleece like the kind at Old Navy. You use polyester fleece to form around rigid frames. The fleece is made out of the same stuff as the resin (polyester).

As far as Rage is concerned, if we're doing anything that can't be accomplished with a good quality glazing compound (which I own) will want to use Rage. It's called light weight filler cause it's lighter then metal filler or lead, used in the olden times. If you want we can lead the body, I know how to do that to. Shock to any old timers, yes I have leaded a car before. I know weird, I'm so young.

Primer depends on the time line. There is no need to use a strong poly primer unless the car is gonna be in a primer state longer then a couple months.

Fiberglass to metal bonding shouldn't be necessary unless that's for the rear fenders. I'm under the impression we're making the front fenders.

Self etching primer. Believe it or not paint doesn't stick to raw metal all that well, so the surface has to be chemically etched. There are acid etching compounds but those add a whole extra step. I actually own some self etching primer that might still be good.

I think that covers everything.