Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 03-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #1

Default 1959 F100 build thread

Well the time has come to start figuring out what parts I need so I can get a number in my head of what I need. Got the truck already, and although the stock straight 6 runs fine, I want a small block V8 in it. Seeing as there are so many options around I was thinking of just getting a crate motor to keep it easy, and alot of places right now are offering very good warranties on crate motors like 5yr/60k mile. The only thing is, I don't know much about ford stuff really. I know which trans will fit which chevy block for which application and stuff.

So a few questions:
#1 I'm sure a 302 block will fit, but I'm kinda wondering if my plans to have a Ranger/Explorer trans is reasonable or if they will even bolt up properly.
#2 as far as rear end I was thinking an explorer rear end cuz it has disc brakes, well the more recent solid axle one did.

My goals are just to have a mild street build that I can drive the 12 mile round trip to work everyday, maybe take to the desert with a dirtbike in the bed, or tow the cobalt to the 1/4 mile or road course. If it was a Chevy I would grab a 700r4 out of an S10 and a small block and toss it in but I am trying to stick to the blue oval.

As far as a crate engine, I saw this on Jegs http://www.jegs.com/i/Blueprint-Engi...72CTC/10001/-1 I've been out of the game for a long time cuz I haven't had a garage to work in until recently (just got all the paperwork signed on my new place tonight). Does anyone have any links that will be worth while? I was intending to kind of do a junkyard built with an old mustang 302 also but I kinda want a crate motor cuz it arrives done, and I just drop it in. It will keep me from taking a year to finish it. I don't mind throwing something together on the weekends. Me and my dad are gonna work on it as kind of a project. Plus when my new boy gets old enough to help, he will learn how to work on stuff with it.

Here is the truck...

The Race Car lol: 2004 Cadillac CTS-V... With things.

Better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
pain's fun, hit me again

That 347 is retarded expensive for nothing other then a $700 347 kit and stockish parts. I have less then that into my 500hp(rear wheel, or at least it should be) 347. Here's what i've learned over the years. Spending money on someone elses research is stupid. There's a CHEAP forged 408 stroker kit on cafords for $700 if i wasnt broke i'd have bought it already. A used roller shortblock will run $250 from my builder. Trucks dont need to worry about having an expensive set of aluminum heads, aftermarket irons are cheap and give the same power. A custom grind cam will yield the most power for your application. Used efi intakes are cheap and will cut out dealing with a carb, unless you want to.
Even if you dont get a stroker kit for cheap, $250 for a block, $1500ish for a rotating assembly. $1000 for iron heads, about a $1000 in various shit to be safe and you'll have a MUCH better engine for the same money.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!
Old 03-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
pain's fun, hit me again

http://www.californiafords.com/ubb/u...c;f=5;t=098914

Buy it now. You could resell it for double if you didnt use it.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!
Old 03-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
http://www.californiafords.com/ubb/u...c;f=5;t=098914

Buy it now. You could resell it for double if you didnt use it.
That would be perfect... but right now I can't swing $1000. My time frame is later this year to start the project. I have a baby boy due in August so after i get him settled with all the necessary baby stuff I am going to start the truck. I can't, in food conscience, get something like that for myself right now. Damn i have such poor timing. I will definitely take your previous post under advisement. I'll take anybinformation i can get at this stage so im not going into this blind. I'm just trying to get an idea of how much I am going to be spending and what i need to try and find over the next year. I want to try and have all the parts for me to dig into it early next year so i can be up and running by summer.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #5

Just do it right and put a lq4 in it.
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20
Old 03-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackax View Post
Just do it right and put a lq4 in it.
What he said.

Stopping the world!
Old 03-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #7

Naw... im gonna keep a full ford drivetrain in it. If Iwas going to swap to a gm motor i would go get a 350lt ieon block out of a 1500... you can pick one up for cheap.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
pain's fun, hit me again

LQ4, port the shit out of the heads, deck them, morel lifters, ls7 intake, and boom. Big power

Stopping the world!
Old 03-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #9

That sounds very tempting but i am.notbgoing for big power. I just want a 300hp daily driver that is nice and reliable and a very streetable motor.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #10
pain's fun, hit me again

BTW he wants $700 for that stroker kit, not $1000 read all the way down.

That 408 with a mild h/c/i will make around 550hp and get better mileage then a 302 in that truck making 300hp, food for thought.

Stopping the world!