Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 06-22-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
Neanderthal

Default Vietnam--America's War

Picked up this multi DVD set at WalMarts for $5.00. Twenty three hours of nothing but real Vietnam film footage.

I starts out with LBJ (in a speech) telling congress "Why Vietnam". Great stuff.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 06-22-2009, 05:16 PM   #2

I could recommend a few good books that I read a while back.

1) The Tunnels of Cu Chi by Tom Mangold

2) A Soldier’s Best Friend(about dogs of war) by John C. Burnam

3) Once A Warrior King by David Donovan

I've read many many more but these explained alot to me about why two of my cousins(1 recon 1 SF) came back so F#$%ed up in the head. One of my cousins had pictures in a foot locker that were so horrifying of what the NV's did to our American soldiers and what we did too them that me(13 at the time) and my little cousin(12) had nightmares. We told our parents that we saw the pictures in Jimmys foot locker and got grounded for a week.Mine and my little cousins nightmares went away after a while,but our older cousins still have them to this day.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Mariani View Post
I could recommend a few good books that I read a while back.

1) The Tunnels of Cu Chi by Tom Mangold

2) A Soldier’s Best Friend(about dogs of war) by John C. Burnam

3) Once A Warrior King by David Donovan

I've read many many more but these explained alot to me about why two of my cousins(1 recon 1 SF) came back so F#$%ed up in the head. One of my cousins had pictures in a foot locker that were so horrifying of what the NV's did to our American soldiers and what we did too them that me(13 at the time) and my little cousin(12) had nightmares. We told our parents that we saw the pictures in Jimmys foot locker and got grounded for a week.Mine and my little cousins nightmares went away after a while,but our older cousins still have them to this day.
It's funny how people react to experiences, or how they affect them. My 6th grade teacher's husband was a SEAL inserted deep into NV territory with a small team and their only mission was to Search and Destroy. He was a bit quirky and kinda jumpy, but for the most part he talked about it like it was working on a car or something. I think he somehow enjoyed it at some level.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-22-2009, 11:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
It's funny how people react to experiences, or how they affect them. My 6th grade teacher's husband was a SEAL inserted deep into NV territory with a small team and their only mission was to Search and Destroy. He was a bit quirky and kinda jumpy, but for the most part he talked about it like it was working on a car or something. I think he somehow enjoyed it at some level.
I think my cousins did too....
Old 06-22-2009, 11:11 PM   #5
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Vietnam is so sad, I feel badly for everyone involved
Old 06-22-2009, 11:15 PM   #6
I, Vettezuki

It's not a phenomena often talked about, especially in our touchy-feely world where everyone needs a hug after stubbing a toe, but some guys dig it.

Love is a Battlefield

Gotta watch through the ad to read the article. I ain't gonna lie, I'm damn glad we have guys like this, because kicking down doors on the other side of the world is not my idea of a good time.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-23-2009, 09:07 AM   #7
Neanderthal

I grew up thru that damn War. They even tried to draft me in 1970. A lot of my friends ended up in Vietnam. They mostly came back doing drugs. A few came back totally Fucked up. One of these guys tried to jump out or my 52 Dodge on the FWY at 70 mph. What a fun ride that was. I'm going along holding on to the steering wheel with one hand and him with other. He's got the passenger door open and trying to jump-fighting me as we rolled along down the FWY.
Another cut his wrists badly when he punch out a pane of window glass. I taped his wrists up the best I could and then the fun drive to hospital before he bled to death. The back seat of my FORD was just one big pool of blood.

I've got a few more. But, you get the idea.

What a FUCKED UP war that was.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 06-29-2009, 02:26 PM   #8
Neanderthal

Default Marines '65

I'm to 1965 now on this DVD set.

So far just Government BS. Mostly how were are really helping clean out the VC in the south.

Lots of gun-ho shit. I'm almost ready to enlist.

BIG ERROR--this from the government "go get em" film. They are stating what a great war plane the F4 is with it's wide array of weapons including 20 mm cannons. WRONG!!!!!!!! The F4 did not have cannons ( or any kind of gun mounted ) untill the early 70s.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 06-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #9
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
. . .
BIG ERROR--this from the government "go get em" film. They are stating what a great war plane the F4 is with it's wide array of weapons including 20 mm cannons. WRONG!!!!!!!! The F4 did not have cannons ( or any kind of gun mounted ) untill the early 70s.
Yep. Major design flaw. They originally thought the era of the dog fight was over and that everything would be a stand off engagement. Whoops.

The guys that blow me away from that era were the Wild Weasels. One of my favorite quotes as I recall it.

"Let me get this straight, you want me to crawl in behind some young pilot who thinks he's never going to die and fly into North Vietnam for the express purpose of drawing enemy fire in the hopes that we can kill them before they kill us? . . . . You've got to be shitting me."

Wild Weasels flew into enemy territory before the bombers to identify and destroy anti-aircraft batteries. Their method of identify targets basically involved getting lit up by their radar and shot at. If you can ever catch a documentary on the History Channel you should. How they avoided getting hit by the SAMs is mind bending.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-29-2009, 03:38 PM   #10
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Yep. Major design flaw. They originally thought the era of the dog fight was over and that everything would be a stand off engagement. Whoops.

The guys that blow me away from that era were the Wild Weasels. One of my favorite quotes as I recall it.

"Let me get this straight, you want me to crawl in behind some young pilot who thinks he's never going to die and fly into North Vietnam for the express purpose of drawing enemy fire in the hopes that we can kill them before they kills us? . . . . You've got to be shitting me."

That's pretty close to the quote.

What got me, that was a ARMED FORCES film and they got it wrong about the F4.

There was a great bit about the F105 Thud (about 65 or 66 in this DVD set) and man, they sure made you think there was hardly any danger flying into North Vietnam.
2016 Nissan Altma