Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 10-31-2009, 12:56 PM   #81
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Nightmare day. 500 cars and lots of breaks. It took me 1.5 hours just in the tech line. I got here at 6 and got a run in finally after noon. Just went to the stands to try to tape and they were too full to get into. I hate California Speedway!
Old 10-31-2009, 05:16 PM   #82
Resident Avatar Gambler

What a day - I remember why I don't go to the street legals very often. I rolled up with the rest of the group at 6a.m. At that point, the day was looking promising. Only about 200ish cars. Finally they start waiving us into tech. At that point everything starts to go bad. The line I get in for tech is not moving. Leedom's line is moving at about a 2 to 1 rate to ours. It takes over an hour to tech.

Even though we all got there roughly the same time, a couple of us are in group 1, a couple end up in 2, and some end up in 3. It's totally unacceptable in my opinion. They should tech everyone in based on when they got there, not on the luck of the draw of which line you end up in. At this point I'm already very annoyed, but have to get in line for my wristband. It takes roughly another half an hour to get that because they have ONE person working the booth. I can also see that the event is going to sell out and it's going to be a rough day.

The first group starts running and a Mustang promptly oils down the entire track We were shut down for an hour. Leedom was at the line when this happened. Once we got running again he managed to run a 13.89 second pass (Congrats on your first 13 second slip dude!). Finally my group is up. We have switched the slicks from Leedom's car to mine (BIG thanks to Ron for letting us use the ET streets, and for the great advice) and I go to the staging lanes. It's about noon and after being at the track for 6 hours, I'm finally about to get a run in when the car in front of me oils down the track

It takes another 30 minutes to clean that up, and I pull up and run a 12.7@114mph. The ET streets hook so hard I actually bogged coming out of the hole. It was strange to not be spinning everywhere. I'm fairly happy to have matched my personal best with my first pass in a year, but that doesn't stop Leedom from giving me crap.

At this point the day is already feeling really long, but I headed up to the stands to think about taping. Unfortunately the stands were full and I realized taping runs today by myself while trying to run was impossible. Sorry everyone - it just wasn't possible to do both.

After eating something and waiting another couple hours, I finally got in a 2nd run at about 3:15ish. I ran a new personal best of 12.5@115mph despite the fact the track had warmed up considerably. I launched at 3500-3700rpm's and I could have launched harder. The ET streets are amazing. I also finally managed to get a sub 2.0 60ft (I cut a 1.9) at California Speedway. I think with one more pass I could have gotten down into the 12.2-12.3 range. I also think on a good day the car would run anywhere from 11.9-12.3 with just a little more practice.

Having said that, I probably won't go back to the track for another year because of how miserable the experience is

For being at the track for 10 hours, I mostly just felt annoyed and only had 2 runs to show for it. I wish California Speedway was run like Irwindale.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:55 PM   #83

Congrats on the PB, Sean!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?
Old 10-31-2009, 06:41 PM   #84
That's Mr. Bitch to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
What a day - I remember why I don't go to the street legals very often. I rolled up with the rest of the group at 6a.m. At that point, the day was looking promising. Only about 200ish cars. Finally they start waiving us into tech. At that point everything starts to go bad. The line I get in for tech is not moving. Leedom's line is moving at about a 2 to 1 rate to ours. It takes over an hour to tech.

Even though we all got there roughly the same time, a couple of us are in group 1, a couple end up in 2, and some end up in 3. It's totally unacceptable in my opinion. They should tech everyone in based on when they got there, not on the luck of the draw of which line you end up in. At this point I'm already very annoyed, but have to get in line for my wristband. It takes roughly another half an hour to get that because they have ONE person working the booth. I can also see that the event is going to sell out and it's going to be a rough day.

The first group starts running and a Mustang promptly oils down the entire track We were shut down for an hour. Leedom was at the line when this happened. Once we got running again he managed to run a 13.89 second pass (Congrats on your first 13 second slip dude!). Finally my group is up. We have switched the slicks from Leedom's car to mine (BIG thanks to Ron for letting us use the ET streets, and for the great advice) and I go to the staging lanes. It's about noon and after being at the track for 6 hours, I'm finally about to get a run in when the car in front of me oils down the track

It takes another 30 minutes to clean that up, and I pull up and run a 12.7@114mph. The ET streets hook so hard I actually bogged coming out of the hole. It was strange to not be spinning everywhere. I'm fairly happy to have matched my personal best with my first pass in a year, but that doesn't stop Leedom from giving me crap.

At this point the day is already feeling really long, but I headed up to the stands to think about taping. Unfortunately the stands were full and I realized taping runs today by myself while trying to run was impossible. Sorry everyone - it just wasn't possible to do both.

After eating something and waiting another couple hours, I finally got in a 2nd run at about 3:15ish. I ran a new personal best of 12.5@115mph despite the fact the track had warmed up considerably. I launched at 3500-3700rpm's and I could have launched harder. The ET streets are amazing. I also finally managed to get a sub 2.0 60ft (I cut a 1.9) at California Speedway. I think with one more pass I could have gotten down into the 12.2-12.3 range. I also think on a good day the car would run anywhere from 11.9-12.3 with just a little more practice.

Having said that, I probably won't go back to the track for another year because of how miserable the experience is

For being at the track for 10 hours, I mostly just felt annoyed and only had 2 runs to show for it. I wish California Speedway was run like Irwindale.
Even after all that I am f pissed that I didn't make it I would have loved to be there and at least got a run in. Next time.

Chuck
Old 11-01-2009, 05:07 AM   #85
Internet Tough Guy

Wow Sean! It looks like you dropped half a second and gain 4 mph just by bolting on some sticky tires!!!!
Old 11-01-2009, 08:42 AM   #86
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
Wow Sean! It looks like you dropped half a second and gain 4 mph just by bolting on some sticky tires!!!!
I had actually run a high 12.78 I believe at 113 before, but yesterday was a lot better. Both runs were actually better than my previous bests. Having the clutch adjusted made a huge difference - no more missed shifts. I just needed to get used to the tires. It's strange to not hop and just hook. Those tires hook HARD. I will be picking up a set for next year I think - incredible difference. I wish I had one or two more runs. I know I could have knocked that 60ft down another .2 and run a 12.2 or so. Getting in two runs a day doesn't allow you to get into much or a rhythm or experiment much
Old 11-01-2009, 09:03 AM   #87
Internet Tough Guy

Regardless of the conditions, you beat you PB on both runs! You should be happy. Get yourself a set of the et streets and buy an extra half shaft just in case. That way if one breaks it wont ruin your entire day!
Old 11-01-2009, 09:10 AM   #88
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
Regardless of the conditions, you beat you PB on both runs! You should be happy. Get yourself a set of the et streets and buy an extra half shaft just in case. That way if one breaks it wont ruin your entire day!
Thanks Carlos!

Actually half shafts on Cobras usually don't snap on et streets, they snap on drag radials. I guess the stiff sidewall of drag radials causes the wheel hop that equals death. Having said that, I had already looked up prices before I went yesterday. I can get a stock halfshaft from Tousley Ford for $280 and I may pick one up before I go to the track again.

After yesterday I think should be saving up for a clutch if anything though. I could still smell my clutch in the garage last night. I don't think it likes clutch dumps on et streets very much
Old 11-01-2009, 10:28 AM   #89
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
The first group starts running and a Mustang promptly oils down the entire track We were shut down for an hour. Leedom was at the line when this happened. Once we got running again he managed to run a 13.89 second pass (Congrats on your first 13 second slip dude!). Finally my group is up. We have switched the slicks from Leedom's car to mine (BIG thanks to Ron for letting us use the ET streets, and for the great advice) and I go to the staging lanes. It's about noon and after being at the track for 6 hours, I'm finally about to get a run in when the car in front of me oils down the track .
Your welcome.

Quote:
Thanks Carlos!

Actually half shafts on Cobras usually don't snap on et streets, they snap on drag radials. I guess the stiff sidewall of drag radials causes the wheel hop that equals death. Having said that, I had already looked up prices before I went yesterday. I can get a stock halfshaft from Tousley Ford for $280 and I may pick one up before I go to the track again.

After yesterday I think should be saving up for a clutch if anything though. I could still smell my clutch in the garage last night. I don't think it likes clutch dumps on et streets very much
You're going to smell it for about the next month or so. That's how long I could smell it in my Cobra with both my old clutches.

As for your 60ft., you should be in the 1.7 range. I looked at a couple of my old slips from the Cobra where my mph was in the 113-114 range and one had a 1.773 and the other was a 1.711. With the 1.773 the car ran an 11.932 at 114.50 and on the 1.711 it ran 12.016 at 113.08.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:34 AM   #90
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Your welcome.

You're going to smell it for about the next month or so. That's how long I could smell it in my Cobra with both my old clutches.

As for your 60ft., you should be in the 1.7 range. I looked at a couple of my old slips from the Cobra where my mph was in the 113-114 range and one had a 1.773 and the other was a 1.711. With the 1.773 the car ran an 11.932 at 114.50 and on the 1.711 it ran 12.016 at 113.08.
First of all - THANKS AGAIN RON!

I definitely think with one more run I could have cut my 60ft down another tenth or two. I finally figured out how to do a good burnout (again thanks to you) and the car was hooking hard. I think I could have launched at over 4k rpm's and still hooked. I was also encouraged to see the 115mph trap speed. I was afraid maybe the car was down on power, but that's about where it should be. I'd love to get an 11 second slip