Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 10-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #61

LS motors are known for having that play on the rockers. What you dont want is play up n down. These cars have noisy valvetrains as it is.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #62

Dont go too thick on oil or youll starve the top end on startup especially. I run rotella t6 5w40. Great stuff on the track too.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #63
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
You should fab your own headers also, just buy a kit, tacky tacky, pull them out and finish up the seams. Then you will forever be the go-to header guy.
Ha! No, I'll just hire Jammer98 when the time comes. I may do the rockers/lifters myself for the experience, but that's about it.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #64
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5Natie View Post
Dont go too thick on oil or youll starve the top end on startup especially. I run rotella t6 5w40. Great stuff on the track too.
I used to run Rotella 15/45 (a lot of older Vette dudes run it in Gen I SBCs), which worked fine really other than maybe a tiny loss in power, but it was quieter overall. Now it has either 5/20 or 5/30 AMSOIl.

Anyway, Guy clearly said the rocker play is fine, the ticking is cam knock, and that's not *that* big of a deal, i.e., no potential for catastrophic engine failure. But the German in me cannot tolerate something that is not basically working properly, so it waits other than enough little driving to keep everything lubed and gas circulating. Reminds me though, I'll put some stabilizer in the tank.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #65

These cars are also known to eat up cam lobes so just keep your eye on things.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #66
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
These cars are also known to eat up cam lobes so just keep your eye on things.
I have heard of spring breaking and personally experienced that too. This cam knock seems to be a kind of common problem, but haven't heard of lobe-munching. What's the reason? Insufficient oiling in stock configuration for those who drive a bit harder?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
I have heard of spring breaking and personally experienced that too. This cam knock seems to be a kind of common problem, but haven't heard of lobe-munching. What's the reason? Insufficient oiling in stock configuration for those who drive a bit harder?
From what ive seen and experienced the usual causes are either not enough spring pressure causing valvefloat or a failing roller on a lifter. Add the fact also that todays oils dont have much zinc, which why I use either rotella or red line break in additive. Also ive seen cams that weren't heat treated properly. LS motors are hard on cam bearings too. A lot of times oil pressure issues are associated with worn cam bearings and most guys always think its the mains or oil pump. Once in the past I was getting some ticking on my LS6 and I ran seafoam in the oil for about 150mi and then ran rotella. Didnt hear it again so you never know. Ive seen the atf trick work on higher mile vehicles too.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #68

It happens. Happened to me too. Lifter roller damged cam lobe but my high cr LS6 was spinning to 7200.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ity-party.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-camshaft.html
Old 10-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #69

I also broke a valvespring first. Just replaced the spring, rocker and lifter. Cam looked ok but a few months later thats what killed my motor. Cam lobe must have got damaged. Ate the new lifter the lobe got destroyed and the shavings killed my main bearings. If I broke a valve spring now I'd be nervous and check the lifter. Id replace the cam if the lifter roller has even slight abnormal wear, but thats just me.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #70
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
From what ive seen and experienced the usual causes are either not enough spring pressure causing valvefloat or a failing roller on a lifter. Add the fact also that todays oils dont have much zinc, which why I use either rotella or red line break in additive. Also ive seen cams that weren't heat treated properly. LS motors are hard on cam bearings too. A lot of times oil pressure issues are associated with worn cam bearings and most guys always think its the mains or oil pump. Once in the past I was getting some ticking on my LS6 and I ran seafoam in the oil for about 150mi and then ran rotella. Didnt hear it again so you never know. Ive seen the atf trick work on higher mile vehicles too.

LS1Z28 mentioned running Sea Foam too, then changing the oil. How much did you put in?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)