Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 10-27-2009, 10:50 AM   #1
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk
Default Subaru 216A

This is from another board. It looks really interesting...

Quote:
Originally posted by Minty Fresh
DO WANT!!!

Just as soon as the Toyota FT-86 was born and came to this world at the Tokyo Motor show, it’s bigger, badder twin brother is about to hit the stage.

It’s well known that Subaru and Toyota have been in the same bed developing the FT-86 but one question that remains on everyone’s lips is how, if they are developing the same car, can the two be different? Well it’s emerged that Subaru has been busy waving their wand over the 086A/FT-86 and is going to bring some very Subaru style magic to the table.

The biggest news to come out of all this is that rumors of the car being turbo and all wheel drive are now in fact confirmed. However staff close to the Subaru development side of the project have revealed is that the first thing to differ will be the codes which the cars will be known by. While the version of the FT-86 to go on sale in Japan will be known by the code 086A and in the US and Europe as the 087A and 088A respectively, the Fuji Heavy Industries version will be branded as the 216A. This is to “clearly distinguish between the Toyota and Subaru version of the car”. Things get juicier from there though with the confirmation of what many have been suspecting all along. The car will be driven by a 2.0 liter turbo charged powerplant feeding power to all four wheels. This will either come in the flavor of a revised, lower power but more efficient 250ps and 34.0kg/m EJ20 from the Impreza 2.0 GT or the EJ20 Turbo from the current Impreza WRX STi pumping out 308ps and 43.0kg/m of torque. Our guess is the latter may well be used for an STi version of the car down the track. No pun intended.

Body wise, the the Subaru version will be bigger and badder but at the same time tipping the scales to the tune of around 100kg more than the 086A. This seems to be a reasonable weight gain seeing that 4WD has been added and the dimensions have been increased in the region of 20mm all around. Total height and width will go from 1260mm to 1280mm and 1760 to 1780mm respectively. Wheelbase and total lengths have also been extended, with overall length reaching 4180mm and the wheelbase gaining 30 to 50mm, up to around 2600~mm from 2570mm. This is almost spot on to the current Impreza’s 2620mm so the possibility of them sharing parts or being very similar is undoubtedly high. The final distinguishing factor between the two? Well that will be the price. The increased performance, all wheel drive and pumped body will be adding around half a million yen to the tag bringing the car to around 3 million yen come 2011. This is not only to cover the extras over the Toyota but also to distinguish itself from the FT-86 version.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
Resident Avatar Gambler

I really love the design actually - much better than the Toyota.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
I, Vettezuki

Cool. But 100Kg more than what?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-27-2009, 05:24 PM   #4
Boost Junkie

i gotta say.. i am intrigued

this could possibly be my next brand new car someday. or an AWD mini S if they put one out

Best ET 14.668 see timeslip
Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
I'd race ya, but you'd eat me up dawg!!!
Old 10-27-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn View Post
i gotta say.. i am intrigued

this could possibly be my next brand new car someday. or an AWD mini S if they put one out
I think an STi powered Subaru coupe would be awesome. I think an AWD Mini would be cool too, but I'm not sure they'll ever do it. I suppose they could try to use the 1 series BMW platform, but it would probably weight too much if they did that
Old 10-27-2009, 10:15 PM   #6
Super Moderator

G37STI
Old 10-27-2009, 10:16 PM   #7
Internet Tough Guy

Give me the turbo motor on the Toyota with a 85kg advantage over the Subaru "styling magic" any day.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:35 AM   #8
I, Vettezuki

Does anybody know what the production weights of these cars are . . .

Carlos, I agree, while I personally slightly prefer the Subie styling, it isn't massive or categorical. Give me the Turbo 2l in a light as possible RWD. Of course 400+AWHP in a <3,000lb car (if the Subie is) wouldn't be too shabby.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-28-2009, 09:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
I think an STi powered Subaru coupe would be awesome. I think an AWD Mini would be cool too, but I'm not sure they'll ever do it. I suppose they could try to use the 1 series BMW platform, but it would probably weight too much if they did that
actually my brother knows a lot of the mini insiders and rumor is they are thinking about creating an AWD mini

Old 10-28-2009, 01:08 PM   #10
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisgirlkera View Post
actually my brother knows a lot of the mini insiders and rumor is they are thinking about creating an AWD mini
I've heard the same thing, but for the SUV, and not the Cooper