Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 04-10-2009, 03:55 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Enkei's opinion, you are all grateful to receive.

I think this site would get more posts if some of the sections were condensed or deleted, and others expanded and maybe moved.

This is a car forum, and out of two engine posts I made recently. I've had two people respond... I'd move the engine tech/ boost tech, etc. up higher and maybe expand it. Or maybe move it in a more popular location, closer to the bs lounge...?

The general discussion stuff, like what's up with the new Camaro etc. are interesting for nerds like Sean, but less so for grease monkeys like me. And I think the grease monkeys prevail on these forums.

You guys have 8 or 10 general car /bike/ sections that could really be condensed to 3 or 4 IMHO. And it's killing a prime location, people like me are too lazy to scroll. You've got a green car section up near the top staking out prime forum space while you've got lonely neglected tech sections out in the lonely middle.

I think you'd get more activity with a more condensed layout, and when this site becomes the new LS1 you can open her back up because you'll have traffic flowing out your ass.

On other forums I find myself browsing a few sections thoroughly and posting up, while on this one I find myself just browsing the main page. Not to dog on you guys, love the site, love you guys, this is my new home obviously. Just trying to offer constructive adamism.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:21 AM   #2
Neanderthal

2016 Nissan Altma
Old 04-10-2009, 09:06 AM   #3
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
I think this site would get more posts if some of the sections were condensed or deleted, and others expanded and maybe moved.

This is a car forum, and out of two engine posts I made recently. I've had two people respond... I'd move the engine tech/ boost tech, etc. up higher and maybe expand it. Or maybe move it in a more popular location, closer to the bs lounge...?

The general discussion stuff, like what's up with the new Camaro etc. are interesting for nerds like Sean, but less so for grease monkeys like me. And I think the grease monkeys prevail on these forums.

You guys have 8 or 10 general car /bike/ sections that could really be condensed to 3 or 4 IMHO. And it's killing a prime location, people like me are too lazy to scroll. You've got a green car section up near the top staking out prime forum space while you've got lonely neglected tech sections out in the lonely middle.

I think you'd get more activity with a more condensed layout, and when this site becomes the new LS1 you can open her back up because you'll have traffic flowing out your ass.

On other forums I find myself browsing a few sections thoroughly and posting up, while on this one I find myself just browsing the main page. Not to dog on you guys, love the site, love you guys, this is my new home obviously. Just trying to offer constructive adamism.
I hear you. I'll talk to the brain trust and we'll look over some options. I personally would also like to see the California section up higher because a lot of traffic flows through there and I want people to see events....
Old 04-10-2009, 12:18 PM   #4

Old 04-10-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
I, Vettezuki

Quote:

Thank you very much for your observation. I've had vague sensations very similar to your main points. I totally get Sean's point about the CA section, my only hesitation there is that we would really start to look like a CA Club Site, which is not our intention.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 04-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #6
I, Vettezuki

One idea I've had is to condense by basic function, instead of region of production or era. For example, the 4 wheel could be broken condensed into just two sections:

Exotics, Sports Cars, Muscle Cars, Tuners, and Luxury Sedans

and

Family Cars, Trucks, etc.

Ok, I've had a flash of inspiration. Check back later today or this evening for the new consolidation.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 04-10-2009, 01:11 PM   #7
Super Moderator

I think American sports/ muscle tech/ general would be good as its own section.

C6 guys are cool with 1st gen Mustang guys, vice versa, etc. These types of monkeys have similar interest/ background and will be able and willing to help eachother out. Further, if I post a C3 ques in a section where we have 7 crowds of people (C5 guys, Cobras, muscle, etc.) checking in regularly, more likely to get hits.

Imports tech/ gen as another...
Old 04-10-2009, 01:24 PM   #8
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
I think American sports/ muscle tech/ general would be good as its own section.

C6 guys are cool with 1st gen Mustang guys, vice versa, etc. These types of monkeys have similar interest/ background and will be able and willing to help eachother out. Further, if I post a C3 ques in a section where we have 7 crowds of people (C5 guys, Cobras, muscle, etc.) checking in regularly, more likely to get hits.

Imports tech/ gen as another...
Everyone who feels like it, reply to this thread with what you envision. Something structured like the following. I'll sift through and synthesize a new structure.

General
- Meet and Greet
- Site Issues
- B.S. Lounge

Domestic (?)
- ?
-

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 04-11-2009, 12:41 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Introductions (I don't like these sections, but it looks nice up top and every site seems to have one)
Site Issues/ Ask a Mod
B.S. Lounge
Politics/ Religion/ Pop Culture(Now that DBs gone, I think we can ditch the bar lounge)

Domestic (Sports and Muscle) Tech/ General
(Transmissions to door panel removal)
Import Tech/ Gen (Not sure how closely related the M3 type of monkey and the Supra type are, could warrant two sections. Although I fear a Euro only section would be a ghost town)
4x4 & Prerunner tech/ gen
Engine Tech (Turbos to main caps)

Sportbike tech/ gen
Redneck bike tech/ gen

Motorgen Project Cars
Paint/ Body Section
Fabrication Query/ Request
Dyno Tuning/ Fab & Project show & tell

New car gossip/ stats & spy photo section (Nerd section)
Pro racing discussion/ events/ rule query

Official motorgen meets/ track days
Official Call Out Section (Shut up and make a date to line em up)
Regional Events - West
East, etc.

For sale wanted sections (4) etc.

Doesn't need to be this thinned out, but you get the idea. Can def be more compact.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:30 AM   #10
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Introductions (I don't like these sections, but it looks nice up top and every site seems to have one)
Site Issues/ Ask a Mod
B.S. Lounge
Politics/ Religion/ Pop Culture(Now that DBs gone, I think we can ditch the bar lounge)

Domestic (Sports and Muscle) Tech/ General
(Transmissions to door panel removal)
Import Tech/ Gen (Not sure how closely related the M3 type of monkey and the Supra type are, could warrant two sections. Although I fear a Euro only section would be a ghost town)
4x4 & Prerunner tech/ gen
Engine Tech (Turbos to main caps)

Sportbike tech/ gen
Redneck bike tech/ gen

Motorgen Project Cars
Paint/ Body Section
Fabrication Query/ Request
Dyno Tuning/ Fab & Project show & tell

New car gossip/ stats & spy photo section (Nerd section)
Pro racing discussion/ events/ rule query

Official motorgen meets/ track days
Official Call Out Section (Shut up and make a date to line em up)
Regional Events - West
East, etc.

For sale wanted sections (4) etc.

Doesn't need to be this thinned out, but you get the idea. Can def be more compact.

The force is strong with you young padawan.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)