Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-18-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Explain wastegate actuation to me.

I believe that with aftermarket turbo set ups you need a mechanical wastegate (as opposed to electric???) to be able to set the boost level. But turbos that are originally controlled electronically, is that just an actuator pushing a mechanical wastegate? Meaning, do all turbos have mechanical gates that can be set up to use in any application?
Old 01-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #2

I know that some turbos don't have an integral wastegate and you install one on the pipe going into the turbo. I believe most modern turbos have the wastegate built-in. In my experience many years ago, we used a mechanical wastegate and had a knob inside to turn to adjust the pressure point that the wastegate activated. This wastegate was not part of the turbo.

Bo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 Honda Accord EX
1973 Datsun 240Z

Old 01-18-2011, 09:21 PM   #3

Turbos equipped with electronic wastegates are pretty much all stock set ups. Aftermarket turbos with external wastegates will require the traditional wastgate without electronics. Your question is somewhat confusing though, it seems as if your asking whether a turbo with an electronically controlled wastegate can be used on another application? I can't say yes with full confidence but I can say that all electronic turbos do continue to have springs and work just like any other wastegate with use of exhaust gases.

I find a fully electronically controlled wastegate rather disturbing......
Old 01-18-2011, 10:09 PM   #4

All turbos use mechanical wastegates. The electronic part is just the ECU using solenoids to be able to control the wastegate. For example, the 3000GT VR-4 uses 2 boost control solenoids. One for lower rpms and the other for higher rpms. Most of those guys bypass them anyways. A manual boost controller has it's own spring, which is adjustable, that controls the wastegate. An aftermarket electronic controller, like my AEM TruBoost, uses a solenoid the same way, but you tell it when you want it to open. You input the wastegate spring pressure, then you can tell it how much percentage you want it to go
about stock. All of this is the same for internal and external wastegates. Wastegates are just controlled by manifold pressure by a vacuum line.

Boost, because sometimes atmospheric pressure just isn't enough.

"If it has tit's or tires, you can be pretty sure your going to have problems with them..."
Old 01-18-2011, 11:51 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Ok cool, that's what I figured. So electronically controlled turbos are just mech wastegats pushed by actuators. So really any turbo will work for me.

Looks like Shaolin Crane is going to hook me up with a Power Stroke turbo and I'm actually going to start this Turbo SBC project in my boat. Crazy
Old 01-18-2011, 11:53 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Gonna push my welding skills to the limit!
Old 01-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #7

I just posted a turbo in the for sale thread.

Boost, because sometimes atmospheric pressure just isn't enough.

"If it has tit's or tires, you can be pretty sure your going to have problems with them..."
Old 01-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
Super Moderator

I'm going with Shaolin Cranes Power Stroke diesel turbo. It is for a big displacement engine and build boost low, which I need. This motor will likely not spin past 4K.