Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 10-23-2008, 06:06 PM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default How to Properly Load and Secure Your Bike in a Truck?

Ok, so what do you use and how do you do it? The only thing I've found so far is Canyon Dancer tie downs that go over the bar. What about ramps? Do you just ride it on and walk it down? etc.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-23-2008, 08:31 PM   #2
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Ok, so what do you use and how do you do it? The only thing I've found so far is Canyon Dancer tie downs that go over the bar. What about ramps? Do you just ride it on and walk it down? etc.
I've always used 3 tie down, two on the handle bars and one hold down the rear suspension and I always push it up and down on a ramp unless there are two us then we just pick it up.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
I've always used 3 tie down, two on the handle bars and one hold down the rear suspension and I always push it up and down on a ramp unless there are two us then we just pick it up.
Thanks. Pushing it up into the back of my truck by myself seems like it'd be a bit difficult. I think the wet weight is well over 400lbs. Do you have any preferences for ramps?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-23-2008, 09:14 PM   #4
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Thanks. Pushing it up into the back of my truck by myself seems like it'd be a bit difficult. I think the wet weight is well over 400lbs. Do you have any preferences for ramps?
I always had an aluminum one that my dad bought back in '83 when I first started riding. It's about 6' long so it never had a very steep slope. How tall is your truck? I've never had to load a bike into anything higher than a two wheel drive pickup. Most of the time I'm loading a trailer.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:17 PM   #5
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
I always had an aluminum one that my dad bought back in '83 when I first started riding. It's about 6' long so it never had a very steep slope. How tall is your truck? I've never had to load a bike into anything higher than a two wheel drive pickup. Most of the time I'm loading a trailer.
My truck is a bone stock GMC 1500 with a long bed. So it seems longer ramp shallower angle, and I should be able to do it by myself. Just don't want to have a YT moment of pushing it right off the side.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-23-2008, 09:34 PM   #6
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
My truck is a bone stock GMC 1500 with a long bed. So it seems longer ramp shallower angle, and I should be able to do it by myself. Just don't want to have a YT moment of pushing it right off the side.
You don't have anyone near by to help load it?
Old 10-23-2008, 10:20 PM   #7
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
You don't have anyone near by to help load it?
Not really. Myabe I could get one of those little cranes. That's why I asked about riding it in. I have a long bed so I think I could do it safely. THen walk it down from the front. I should think about it a bit more before trying. No hurry, just thinking ahead.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-28-2008, 12:29 PM   #8
Graphics B*tch

Ben,

Just park your truck so it is sticking out in the street and use that little slope up to your driveway to your advantage. If that is not enough you could also drive the front tires up on ramps, that should lower the back end to about a foot or so off the ground. Just a thought. I would use t tie downs on the handlebars and at least 1 out back.

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten