Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems
View Poll Results: Which do you strongly prefer: studs or bolts?
Studs 3 75.00%
Bolts 1 25.00%
Neither. It depends completely on the application. 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default Head Studs vs. Head Bolts

Which is better for strength and reliability? What are the other pros and cons?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #2

Studs provide more strength and are more applicable for boosted or high HP applications. Bolts are sufficient for stock/stock-ish configurations. I prefer ARP.

Shaolin belief: Repay every wrong with forgiveness and kindness.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
Studs provide more strength and are more applicable for boosted or high HP applications. Bolts are sufficient for stock/stock-ish configurations. I prefer ARP.
I agree that studs provide more strength but not that bolts aren't sufficient for boosted applications. I'm running ARP bolts on both the Cobra and Chevelle and have never had an issue with a head lifting. The Cobra is pushing 11-12 psi and the Chevelle has 12.25:1 compression and I run a 250 shot of nitrous to it. I'd say bolts will work just fine for RxSnake.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
I agree that studs provide more strength but not that bolts aren't sufficient for boosted applications. I'm running ARP bolts on both the Cobra and Chevelle and have never had an issue with a head lifting. The Cobra is pushing 11-12 psi and the Chevelle has 12.25:1 compression and I run a 250 shot of nitrous to it. I'd say bolts will work just fine for RxSnake.
I'm on your side brother. I never gave HP ratings, I merely stated the studs were for more power. I have about 460 RWHP with 13 lbs on a dyno jet and have arp head bolts. I also think my setup is fairly mild considering... If I were to push 500 rwhp+ I would prefer studs.

Shaolin belief: Repay every wrong with forgiveness and kindness.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
pain's fun, hit me again

Just if we're comparing studs to bolts there is no reason to run bolts over studs. We should especially consider the type of blower going on to RXsnake. Carb and a roots style should have studs.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 06-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #6
Fast & Filthy

Bolts make it easier to remove the heads with the engine in the car. If we already have bolts to use there is no reason to go out and buy a set of studs.

The Chevelle put down 461 rwhp on just the engine. With the 250 shot it should be over 600 rwhp. I have no fear in the bolts not holding up. They have been for the past 6 years. But then again I'm also using a two bolt main block with a cast crank and running 10 flat at 133 with a 12 bolt rearend that still has the original axles in it.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:35 PM   #7
pain's fun, hit me again

The only 2 studs that are the problem is the back 2 on each side. Remove these and there is no reason why they cant be removed in the car.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 06-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #8
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
I'm on your side brother. I never gave HP ratings, I merely stated the studs were for more power. I have about 460 RWHP with 13 lbs on a dyno jet and have arp head bolts. I also think my setup is fairly mild considering... If I were to push 500 rwhp+ I would prefer studs.
You dont count, you dont push your car nearly as hard as we do here.

SBF is notorious for having head gasket issues with boost.

I'd say Ron's car is a freak but I do know he's been through a few sets of head gaskets

Stopping the world!
Old 06-26-2012, 11:46 PM   #9
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
The only 2 studs that are the problem is the back 2 on each side. Remove these and there is no reason why they cant be removed in the car.
Not in the Cobra. I leave the headers on so I wouldn't be able to remove them with studs. I'd have to remove all the studs to get them out.

On the Chevelle, I'd be able to remove the passenger side head but not the drivers because the brake booster is in the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
You dont count, you dont push your car nearly as hard as we do here.

SBF is notorious for having head gasket issues with boost.

I'd say Ron's car is a freak but I do know he's been through a few sets of head gaskets
I've replaced the head gaskets once in the Cobra because I was using the stock replacment Felpro and I got a coolant leak. The MLS ones I've had no problem with.

I've also had to replace one set on the Chevelle but that was because the first time I ran the nitrous I forgot to retard the timing and it detonated and reuined the head gaskets.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:47 AM   #10
I, Vettezuki

As fasteners, it's clear studs are objectively superior. The price difference is not really such a big deal when we're talking about an engine system anyway. The benefit of being able to remove heads in car is nice, but in a car that will be as radically stripped as the Snake, pulling the engine may not be much of a big deal really. I'm 99% sure bolts will be adequate as the estimated power <= 500RWHP and I don't see doing much to make it more than that. My onnly slilght concern is that's a big dumb simple roots blower that probably rocks the hell out of the intake and puts a more lateral force on the heads than they'd ever get with NA or Procharger etc. Whether it's enough to subtantively increase risk I don't know. Curious what Joe runs because he's run this combo and related for years.

Guy, for reference what's the price difference bolts vs. studs?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)