Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 02-09-2015, 11:00 PM   #41
I, Vettezuki

There's a place in TX that does blueprinted 5.7 long and short blocks based on the 5.3 for reasonable prices. But I really don't want an iron block. 50~hp less and 80lbs more is not the direction I want to go if I can help it.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 02-09-2015, 11:23 PM   #42
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Unless you know something I don't, those are more or less $8k when you're done. On the upside it'd be brand new and about as "bullet proof" as it's going to get for the same or even more power.

As much as or more than the scratch for the motor, I shudder at the idea of integrating it with my LS1 ECU and programming.
It should just be swap in and go. Nate has an LS3 in his C5, coil packs, ecu, everything should be the same. If you're doing a new engine, then you should get the exhaust the car needs anyhow and will probably benefit from a retune no matter what. Steve at PD likes to work on LS cars alot more than our POS mustangs and says 430rwhp out of a LS3 is about as difficult as your morning shit.

CAVEAT. I looked on the GM page and they no longer offer the Hot-Rod Kit, only the E-rod kit, which is a complete plug and play, with ECM, drive by wire, wiring harness, cats yadda yadda.

The Hot Rod Kit, was essentially the same engine, less the electronics, cats, intake and other stuff. For a while GM was selling them for $4000, then it was up to 51XX, now I don't see it at all.

I did find this one on Summit, however since you are just going for a repair you do not need a full turn key motor. I would look at the performance companies for LS3 long blocks and swap your shit over
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/na...1326/overview/
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 02-09-2015, 11:30 PM   #43
pain's fun, hit me again

I know you dont want iron. but for the price, with what you get, may not be a bad way to go.
http://www.texas-speed.com/p-655-tsp...ong-block.aspx
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 02-09-2015, 11:59 PM   #44
I, Vettezuki

Thanks for the references.

Here's the place I was talking about in TX
http://www.ebay.com/sch/thompsonmoto...1&_ipg=&_from=

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 02-10-2015, 12:18 AM   #45
I, Vettezuki

I'm hoping I get lucky with the block and I can be done with all of this including some valve train upgrades including in/out of the car for $3.5k~. If the block can be machined and the head(s) are ok, this should be vaguely doable. It flies out the window quick if either of those have problems though.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 02-10-2015, 08:38 AM   #46

As far as interchangeability...

#1 the crankshaft reluctor wheel is 24 tooth on LS1/6 and early LS2. Not interchangeable... Can be fixed by having a machine shop press on your old wheel. Gen4 blocks use a 58 tooth wheel.
#2 knock sensors are in a different location, not a big deal, just a longer harness needed.
#3 cam sensor is in a different location.

Otherwise Gen3 and Gen4 blocks are pretty much interchangeable. Oh and the rectangular port heads won't go on a LS1/6 because of smaller bore.

The LS2 I have is a bare block. I have the L76 rotating assembly I took out of the block I am going to bore and stroke. Give you everything for $1k if you want. But I haven't had a chance to see the cylinders if the LS2 yet. Its at my buddy's shop. The LS2 and L76 share bore and stroke size. They are the same blocks. So if the bore needed cleaning up, you'd need slightly larger pistons. The LS2 is currently used as a fitting piece, to locate motor mounts and intakes and such in custom setups.

The Race Car lol: 2004 Cadillac CTS-V... With things.

Better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:42 AM   #47

I'd do Thompson motorsports... A guy I know on the V forums had an issue with an LS3 stroker he bought from Texas Speed. They used a blemished block and didn't machine it right. A few cylinders were out of round pretty bad. #5 was the worst. He had to re sleeve it to sell it after he built his LSX. And he isn't the only one that has had issues with TSP stuff.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:50 AM   #48
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryridesmotox View Post

Otherwise Gen3 and Gen4 blocks are pretty much interchangeable. Oh and the rectangular port heads won't go on a LS1/6 because of smaller bore.
But the 4.8 heads I have, assuming they work, will go on the LS2 block along with the LS6 intake etc. IOW, the checklist to make the LS2 block and L76 rotating assembly work would be:

- press on old reluctor to new crank
- *maybe* hone and new pistons
- modify harness as need to reach slightly different locations of knock and cam sensor
- retune

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 02-10-2015, 09:55 AM   #49

Yea, pretty much. You can use the cathedral heads on a larger bore motor, but you can't use the rectangular heads on the small bore motor, valves are too big... And small bore is all relative... 3.9xx inches is pretty big lol. In all honesty, if you're going to build the thing anyways, have a stroker assembly thrown into the LS2 block. My budget for the lower end is about $3k in parts and machining. And that includes a rotating assembly $2000, $700 machining and assembly, few $$$$ for coated clevite or king bearings. Something to look into. Just as an option. And then you're looking at 500+ to the wheels.

You'd be right at $3500 with the purchase of the LS2 block if you are budget conscious. Which for me... Budget conscious, is IMPOSSIBLE.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:03 AM   #50
I, Vettezuki

Any idea on what kind of sniffer numbers an LS2 stroker puts out?

I am extreme budget concious. Also, at 500+ WHP wonder if my planned and affordable Luk Pro Gold (basically LS7) clutch would holdup very well and that has got to be pushing the limits of the C3's aluminum Dana 44. It's not just the engine, but all the shit that gets chewed up and/or broken down the line that starts to really add up. The round about 400WHP I had in a car that's 3,100lbs full wet was pretty snappy! LOL

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)