Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 05-30-2008, 03:14 PM   #1

Default biodiesel

Anyone have any experience making this stuff? I have been reading quite a bit about it on the web. Looks fairly straight forward if you can come up with a supplier for veg. oil, restaurant etc. Just thought I would throw it out there. filled up my 02 power stroke last week, it only cost $186.00.

I'm not sure I remember how to ride a bicycle, but i've got to come up with another mode of transportation or give up my SUSHI

Milton Friedman
Old 05-30-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

How about buying a little beater car to commute with?
Old 05-30-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvsmnds View Post
Anyone have any experience making this stuff? I have been reading quite a bit about it on the web. Looks fairly straight forward if you can come up with a supplier for veg. oil, restaurant etc. Just thought I would throw it out there. filled up my 02 power stroke last week, it only cost $186.00.

I'm not sure I remember how to ride a bicycle, but i've got to come up with another mode of transportation or give up my SUSHI
This looks like a good basic source of info:
http://www.biodiesel.org/

My brother looked into this once out of curiosity. Maybe we could do this as a little Motorgen "science project."

At one point I was thinking to take an old crappy Mercedes diesel and turn it into a Green Diesel Drag car. But that'd be a whole different project. Don't tell this wouldn't be bad a$$ diesel drag car:

Your biggest problems will be:
A) Finding enough source grease/oil to achieve a sufficient economy of scale
B) Should you succeed at A, the government has a funny way of "intervening", calling you a refinery (though the process is very different), and most importantly, taxing you.

Can you post some links you found particularly interesting or useful? Have you asked any of your local dive restaurants if you can take their old grease/oil off their hands? If you don't have an extremely cheap source for raw material, you're hosed.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-30-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

I don't know what'd be wrong with having one of these in your garage?

Go here for more details.
http://www.homebiodieselkits.com/homeprocessors.html

Although Sean's right. At those prices, you might be better off buying a 2nd hand commuter, like a Yugo or Geo Metro . . . though you sure wouldn't want to be hit by a Power Stroke in one of those.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-30-2008, 05:08 PM   #5
I, Vettezuki

Looking at the kits though, I know some industrial suppliers where you could get most of that stuff for a lot less than those kit prices. The oil heating system would be my only real concern.

Hey, looks like Methanol is one of the by-products. Brian could use that in his Turbo Buick. Maybe I should start a refinery, I mean, processing station in my garage.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-30-2008, 07:01 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
How about buying a little beater car to commute with?
That's a genius idea.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:28 AM   #7

This one looks like a good experiment http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/makingasmallbatch/

Interesting read here as well http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/foru...rm/f/719605551

This is more my style http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/appleorchard/

Milton Friedman
Old 05-31-2008, 11:40 AM   #8
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvsmnds View Post

I'll have to read these. But that's clever, using a water heater. You're probably talking a couple hundred bucks (or less) in parts now. You do have to factor in your additional electric/gas costs into production. I'm sure it's still cheaper though.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)