Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 04-11-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default Measured Backpressure on the Vette

Long saga, but finally thanks to ThrottleCrazy and 94cobra69ss296 got to measure the back pressure on my Vette. It has some "resistance to flow". It's about 1 psi on idle and 3psi at full throttle. The cats are the main issue, but unfortunately with recent CA law those have to be EO numbered. I could put on a set of LT headers and hi-flow cats and keep the stock stuff for "contingencies" and probably pick up a fair bit of power. I'm at 391WHP now. The motor with headers and hi flow cats (but an LS1 and not LS6 intake) and a few other differences, made about 430 WHP. It's a guess, but I'm think LT headers, hi flow cats, (maybe a new set of injectors as at least one of my is dodgy sometimes) should put conservatively at 410+ I would think

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 04-11-2010, 11:49 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Will the LS6 intake not fit? You only have 2 1/4" pipes too right? Need to step it up to the 3" pipes and some long tubes.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:52 PM   #3
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Will the LS6 intake not fit? You only have 2 1/4" pipes too right? Need to step it up to the 3" pipes and some long tubes.
I have the LS6 intake. The Vette the motor was on had the LS1. I mean to say in this case I breate even better than it did. I have 3" pipes (I think, definitely bigger than 2 1/4") after the cats. I have stock manifolds and cats and that's where the bottleneck is.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 04-12-2010, 12:49 AM   #4
Super Moderator

After the cats? :toetap:
Old 04-12-2010, 01:15 AM   #5
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
After the cats? :toetap:
The stock manifold are not pipes. I thought you were referring to after the cats. Are we gonna have another semantics smack down.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 04-12-2010, 04:00 AM   #6
Internet Tough Guy

Good do all that then drop a big cam in it!
Old 04-12-2010, 07:53 AM   #7
Fast & Filthy

If I remember correctly the tubing up near the cat was pretty small. I would guess that it was only 2.25. I would also recommend larger exhaust but I don't think you would need larger than 2.5. You would definately make more power with a free flowing exhaust system.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:29 PM   #8

Hey Ben do you have a dyno chart you can share here? How did you measure "back Pressure?" I may want to try it on my exhaust.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:44 PM   #9
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIAN View Post
Hey Ben do you have a dyno chart you can share here? How did you measure "back Pressure?" I may want to try it on my exhaust.
There is a pressure gauage that inserts into the O2 bung ahead of the cat.

Here's my last dyno sheet, with the setup as it is. 391/369.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 04-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
Good do all that then drop a big cam in it!
Would love to, but then I wouldn't pass the sniffer anymore. I'm have a 114LSA 224/224. My emissions are still safe, but pushing the boundary.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)