Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 12-31-2008, 12:47 PM   #1
Neanderthal

Default RX-Snake: Engine Related

I'm "half" excited. But I'm there.

I see where Ben is going with this.

First question; will the SBF need a rear sump pan or a front sump pan in the RX7?

After 2:00 pm today I won't be here till Sat around 9 or 10 am.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 12-31-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
Neanderthal

I really like where this is going. Being a FORD guy I like it. Mazda will give a cool factor the Mustang II would not.

I say this, we leave Joe's engine as is with blower. I'm betting there is plenty of power just as is. Build the vehicle around that combo. A 2500 lb vehicle is going to run very strong with Joe's combo. Just throwing it out there.

What type of speed/et are we shooting for???

I'm thinking an 11 second with the SBF.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 12-31-2008, 01:28 PM   #3
Fast & Filthy

Looks like on a gen 1 the stock dual sump pan (Fox body style) will fit if we remove the cross member and turn it 180. Here's the info.

"...1st gen. Basic Kit for 289-302-351W Fords...
This new addition allows bolt-in installation of the lite-weight 5.0, requires NO crossmember modification, yet still fits under the hood !!! The secret is simply un-bolting the stock front crossmember (6 bolts), then REVERSING it 180 degrees and re-installing it. This causes the center portion that interferes with the oil pan to swing to the rear instead of the front, allowing a stock double sump late Mustang 5.0 pan to straddle both the crossmember AND steering linkage!!! A short oil filter (or 90 degree adapter) is required, but the low placement buys you a lot of room under the hood for air cleaners and such. Lots of room for headers too. With this kit, the EFI manifold from the Mustang 5.0 will clear the stock 1st gen RX-7 hood."

I found it at http://www.grannysspeedshop.com/
Old 12-31-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
I really like where this is going. Being a FORD guy I like it. Mazda will give a cool factor the Mustang II would not.
I agree, it's also keeping in the spirit of the site by mixing things up a little. Heck, Mazda's owned by Ford so I factored that little quirk too.

Quote:
I say this, we leave Joe's engine as is with blower. I'm betting there is plenty of power just as is. Build the vehicle around that combo. A 2500 lb vehicle is going to run very strong with Joe's combo. Just throwing it out there.

What type of speed/et are we shooting for???

I'm thinking an 11 second with the SBF.
I think it makes obvious sense to stick with Joe's 174, which apparently only needs some parts to be repaired. Wonder if it can be cost effectively improved during repair?

If we're going to build a purpose built car, even if it's dirt cheap, I think it makes sense to target the mid 11s or faster. This, however, means we'll need to cage it, which probably ain't such a bad idea for safety and all.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-31-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post

I think it makes obvious sense to stick with Joe's 174, which apparently only needs some parts to be repaired. Wonder if it can be cost effectively improved during repair?

If we're going to build a purpose built car, even if it's dirt cheap, I think it makes sense to target the mid 11s or faster. This, however, means we'll need to cage it, which probably ain't such a bad idea for safety and all.
Hell, the basic 174 is going to be plenty of boost. We're going for a 2,500 lbs or less vehicle. Traction is going to be a BIG problem. We are in "Old Cobra" thinking here.

Yes, some sort of cage is going to be needed.

We need a name for this--- Like Mazbra or something simular?? "Cobza"---you get the idea.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 12-31-2008, 01:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
This, however, means we'll need to cage it, which probably ain't such a bad idea for safety and all.
Don't need a full cage, just a rollbar, if it's quicker than 11.50. Only need a cage once you get in the 9s. Of course, I'm assuming it's not a convertible. I don't think I ever remember seeing a convertible RX7, but I really am not very familiar with them.

I'll look into repairing the blower. It might take some swap meet trips. I tried to source the parts I needed shortly after my crash and didn't have alot of luck.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?
Old 12-31-2008, 01:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
Hell, the basic 174 is going to be plenty of boost. We're going for a 2,500 lbs or less vehicle. Traction is going to be a BIG problem. We are in "Old Cobra" thinking here.

Yes, some sort cage is going to be needed.

Yeah, the blower was reconditioned between the time I pulled the 302 and switched to the 347. It was making ~8PSI on the 347, then I switched pullies and increased it to ~12 PSI. I'll dig through my stuff to see if I can find the larger pulley. We should probably start off with the 8 PSI or we would probably need to replace the head gaskets with MLS.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?
Old 12-31-2008, 01:58 PM   #8
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedls View Post
Don't need a full cage, just a rollbar, if it's quicker than 11.50. Only need a cage once you get in the 9s. Of course, I'm assuming it's not a convertible. I don't think I ever remember seeing a convertible RX7, but I really am not very familiar with them.

I'll look into repairing the blower. It might take some swap meet trips. I tried to source the parts I needed shortly after my crash and didn't have alot of luck.
There were Convertible RXs, but we'll be getting a coupe for sure.

I remember now, a 4 point if faster than 11.5 and 6 point if faster than 10, right. I don't see us running 9s, but faster than 11.5 is distinctly possible and a good goal I think.

Keep us posted on the blower and if it seems like too much of a pain. I have been curious to build a ghetto turbo car, and some of those turbos off the old GM diesels are very cheap. But that would certainly add some complexity to the system.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-31-2008, 01:59 PM   #9
Fast & Filthy

What all is done to the engine?
Old 12-31-2008, 02:01 PM   #10
Power's off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedls View Post
Don't need a full cage, just a rollbar, if it's quicker than 11.50. Only need a cage once you get in the 9s.
Need and SHOULD are two different things. A cage would add strength also, especially if you gut the doors, lexan the windshield, yada yada. If you installed one first, it would keep everything square to the world before you take the sawz all to it. (IMHO)