Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 04-17-2010, 12:19 AM   #31

Good idea. I'll do that when Im boosted.

Boost, because sometimes atmospheric pressure just isn't enough.

"If it has tit's or tires, you can be pretty sure your going to have problems with them..."
Old 04-17-2010, 01:37 PM   #32
Boost Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
I wouldn't worry about the catch can, it will just decrease suction. And who cares if your TB sucks up a little oil, I don't think it will hurt anything.

P.S. Don't worry about cutting vacuum hoses. You can always slide them onto a pastic fitting from Autozone (next to the Ts) to reconnect. No one will give you crap about that.
Here's why I want a CC: VW engine who opted not to run one.

no effing thank you

Besides, introducing engine oil into the combustion chamber will cause knock. Again, something I dont particularly want to happen.

I will also be gutting my filter, just haven't had a moment. That's going to be today or tomorrow for sure thought. F gutting the PCV though. That sounds like a really dumb idea to me. The factory PCV is basically designed to be a 1 way valve that allows air to leave the crankcase but not allow it to flow the opposite direction. Gutting that would seem to be a bad idea. Albeit the stocker leaks something awful, that leads to me another discussion. 1 way check valves. if on could be found that has sufficient flow, is a big enough size so as not to cause a restriction, and the PCV was gutted/replaced with a -10 fitting or something along those lines... That might be a great alternative. The PCV valve itself is a cheap part that is a factory boost leak. The only way I'll gut it thought is if it's replaced with a check valve. Don't need those gases flowing the wrong way. I'm sure the intake manifold will pull enough pressure to open the valve, thats the way it's designed... my main concern is enough pressure that it forces blowby the wrong way: into the valve cover/head

Best ET 14.668 see timeslip
Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
I'd race ya, but you'd eat me up dawg!!!
Old 04-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn View Post
F gutting the PCV though. That sounds like a really dumb idea to me. The factory PCV is basically designed to be a 1 way valve that allows air to leave the crankcase but not allow it to flow the opposite direction. Gutting that would seem to be a bad idea.
^^^ I'm glad you caught that, do that on a boosted motor and you have yourself a front and rear main seal to change out. You'd also be introducing combustion byproduct, get enough of that stuff in your system and well you'll see...

That VW motor had far worst issues happening.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:17 PM   #34
Super Moderator

No, that's a result of an old engine and worn valve stem seals. My engine is squeaky clean and I don't run one.

Run good gas, synthetic oil, change it regularly and let the engine get hot and open it up, it won't look like that.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:03 PM   #35
Neanderthal

I built a breathing system with catch can in the early seventies for the Vette. I just took the catch can out 2 years ago.

I used a 1 gallon paint can (empty) for the catch can.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 04-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #36

^^^ haha I ran a Coke can in mine for a while with a custom filter my mom gave me out the kitchen sink.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:55 AM   #37
Boost Junkie

^^^ none of that shit for me hahaha.

Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
Old 04-19-2010, 11:42 AM   #38
Boost Junkie

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f180...-cover-533086/

this is a good read, several people are running this style setup. I'm thinking its a good idea.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
Old 04-19-2010, 10:57 PM   #39

Skimmed through it, those guys must be pushing some serious power to be worried about the PCV system. Good dedication coming from all of them, seem like a good bunch compared to the ones that I run into around here.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #40
Boost Junkie

^^^ there are QUITE a few big turbo SRT4s that are pushing some SERIOUS horsepower in a lightass car (2950ish). Not to mention the stock PCV system sucks. The guy who did my tranny swap previously netted 564whp on a 60trim turbo using nothing other than a piggyback. he's working towards 600+ on a fully built motor now. He's just one of MANY. It seems that the number to shoot for with most of our big turbo guys is 500+ whp. I'm settling for not really more than 400whp, that'll get me into my goal ET and also be an excellent road course car with the proper suspension setup. I'm planning on setting the car up to be as reliable as possible with several precautions for the motor safety. IE, pcv, methanol etc. keep those nasty fumes outta my block.

<guy in turbo eclipse>