Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-04-2009, 11:25 AM   #41
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedls View Post
Do I get a prize for naming her?
Sean said he'd give you a big hug.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-04-2009, 08:49 PM   #42
I, Vettezuki

Default Street vs. Off road only

We will make a minimally streetable car.

For those who voted for a track car this mostly just means that we have to keep some basic electrics for indicators, and register as a "show" car. The main reason for choosing this direction is so that we can get some rolling promotion when going to some local events and we aren't building anything so insane as to require a true off road only focus.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-04-2009, 09:11 PM   #43
Power's off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
We will make a minimally streetable car.

For those who voted for a track car this mostly just means that we have to keep some basic electrics for indicators, and register as a "show" car. The main reason for choosing this direction is so that we can get some rolling promotion when going to some local events and we aren't building anything so insane as to require a true off road only focus.
Then you need to find the list of requirements for it to be street legal. You may have to keep wipers, mirrors, lights, T/S's, Hazard flashers, collapsible steering column, air bags, inertia switches, fuel tank, and a shit pot more. Do your homework before you strip anything else.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:15 PM   #44
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by big2bird View Post
Then you need to find the list of requirements for it to be street legal. You may have to keep wipers, mirrors, lights, T/S's, Hazard flashers, collapsible steering column, air bags, inertia switches, fuel tank, and a shit pot more. Do your homework before you strip anything else.
Yep. I can always change my mind to the easier way. Just wanted to state this was the intention.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-04-2009, 11:01 PM   #45
Graphics B*tch

Quote:
Originally Posted by big2bird View Post
Stop trying to cause problems Bird.

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 01-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #46
Super Moderator

I don't think many cops will look under your car for a stock gas tank or... inertia switches

I'd even ditch the wipers. You will obviously never be able to sell this car as street legal ever again, but you can get away with a lot with show car registration.

5050. The Legislature finds and declares that constructive leisure pursuits by California citizens is most important. This article is intended to encourage responsible participation in the hobby of collecting, preserving, restoring, and maintaining motor vehicles of historic and special interest, which hobby contributes to the enjoyment of the citizen and the preservation of California's automotive memorabilia.

5051. As used in this article, unless the context otherwise requires:

(a) “Collector” is the owner of one or more vehicles described in Section 5004 or of one or more special interest vehicles, as defined in this article, who collects, purchases, acquires, trades, or disposes of the vehicle, or parts thereof, for his or her own use, in order to preserve, restore, and maintain the vehicle for hobby or historical purposes.

(b) “Special interest vehicle” is a vehicle of an age that is unaltered from the manufacturer’s original specifications and, because of its significance, including, but not limited to, an out-of-production vehicle or a model of less than 2,000 sold in California in a model-year, is collected, preserved, restored, or maintained by a hobbyist as a leisure pursuit.

Not sure which if any of these it would go under. I could stop by my friends house and see what he did with his truck if necessary, but I hope AAA or the DMV would know more on this.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:31 PM   #47
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
I don't think many cops will look under your car for a stock gas tank or... inertia switches

I'd even ditch the wipers. You will obviously never be able to sell this car as street legal ever again, but you can get away with a lot with show car registration.

5050. The Legislature finds and declares that constructive leisure pursuits by California citizens is most important. This article is intended to encourage responsible participation in the hobby of collecting, preserving, restoring, and maintaining motor vehicles of historic and special interest, which hobby contributes to the enjoyment of the citizen and the preservation of California's automotive memorabilia.

5051. As used in this article, unless the context otherwise requires:

(a) “Collector” is the owner of one or more vehicles described in Section 5004 or of one or more special interest vehicles, as defined in this article, who collects, purchases, acquires, trades, or disposes of the vehicle, or parts thereof, for his or her own use, in order to preserve, restore, and maintain the vehicle for hobby or historical purposes.

(b) “Special interest vehicle” is a vehicle of an age that is unaltered from the manufacturer’s original specifications and, because of its significance, including, but not limited to, an out-of-production vehicle or a model of less than 2,000 sold in California in a model-year, is collected, preserved, restored, or maintained by a hobbyist as a leisure pursuit.

Not sure which if any of these it would go under. I could stop by my friends house and see what he did with his truck if necessary, but I hope AAA or the DMV would know more on this.

I will ask when I go to AAA after picking up the motor soon. My initial independent research has only found a class for "Custom Built Car" registration. This is not an easy process. It requires lots of documentation, a safety inspection by the CHP, and yes, a smog inspection by the BAR, based on some mysterious calculus determined by the year of the engine and chassis. In other words, lots of grey areas. However, this classification actually means the car is road legal, period. If the show car registration works out as you describe, sounds pretty easy in comparison and would be appropriate for our purposes.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #48
Graphics B*tch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
I will ask when I go to AAA after picking up the motor soon. My initial independent research has only found a class for "Custom Built Car" registration. This is not an easy process. It requires lots of documentation, a safety inspection by the CHP, and yes, a smog inspection by the BAR, based on some mysterious calculus determined by the year of the engine and chassis. In other words, lots of grey areas. However, this classification actually means the car is road legal, period. If the show car registration works out as you describe, sounds pretty easy in comparison and would be appropriate for our purposes.
I am not sure how these special registration would work for our project but from what I understand with these rules is in order for you to pass smog in CA the engine would have to be from a car that year or newer. IE if the car is a '87 RX-7 then the motor would have to a '87 or newer motor and the smog rules would be applicable to the year of the motor.

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 01-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #49
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedom View Post
I am not sure how these special registration would work on what I understand with cars but in order for you to pass smog in CA the engine would have to be from a car that year or newer. IE if the car is a '87 RX-7 then the motor would have to a '87 or newer motor and the smog rules would be applicable to '87.
This isn't the case here. I know ALL about street legal engie swaps. In no sense is that what we're even eligible for.

There seem to be two of additional classes of registration
- Custom Built
Requires extensive documentation and inspections. A swap doesn't qualify in and of itself, but doing what we are could plausibly qualify. If you get this level of registration, it's actually a street car. Seems to be pretty tedious.

- Show Car
As suggested by enkei. Severely restricted on road use. Basically you need to be coming from or going to an event. Period. However, the requirements are much lower, including a complete smog waiver. If this is what's available, it's what I'll go for. If not, I'll "probably" go for the off-road only registration. I know what it's like to deal with the state. It's not sooo bad, but it is tedious.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #50
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedom View Post
I am not sure how these special registration would work for our project but from what I understand with these rules is in order for you to pass smog in CA the engine would have to be from a car that year or newer. IE if the car is a '87 RX-7 then the motor would have to a '87 or newer motor and the smog rules would be applicable to the year of the motor.
You are correct. This is the Custom that Ben is talking about. This is the same that my brother had to do to his FJ40 to put the SBC in it. He had to have all the smog equipment for the year of the engine, not the chassis. If he had used the 1969 FJ instead of his 1978 this wouldn't have been an issue.