Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 04-28-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default C3 Drivetrain Loss

Some of you, namely Ben, will find this interesting. Motorhead on CF did an engine dyno with a 406, then immediately dropped it in his 81 and did a chassis dyno. He calculated a 23% drivetrain loss! With a modern manual trans.

So revise your calculations Ben.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Some of you, namely Ben, will find this interesting. Motorhead on CF did an engine dyno with a 406, then immediately dropped it in his 81 and did a chassis dyno. He calculated a 23% drivetrain loss! With a modern manual trans.

What kind of dyno? A 23% loss is A LOT for a manual car...
Old 04-28-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
I, Vettezuki

Quote:

Same facility, operating temps, atmospheric conditions? A lot of params in there, to say nothing of differences in chassis dynos. It wouldn't surprise me if it's higher than a modern Vette, but 23% is massive. That would mean my engine is 480BHP.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 04-28-2010, 10:17 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Same facility, operating temps, atmospheric conditions? A lot of params in there, to say nothing of differences in chassis dynos. It wouldn't surprise me if it's higher than a modern Vette, but 23% is massive. That would mean my engine is 480BHP.
I argued with him about it first too, but he is including the full exhaust and the accessories in the 23%.

So it's not just 23% drivetrain loss, but including everything it's a 23% loss from gross power as he calls it. He's a smart guy, taught me a lot of what I know about tuning carbs. If it were anyone else I probably wouldn't buy it.

I can only image how much the autos are losing.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:19 PM   #5
Super Moderator

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...ssis-dyno.html
Old 04-28-2010, 10:20 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
What kind of dyno? A 23% loss is A LOT for a manual car...
Don't know what kind of dyno.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:26 PM   #7
Super Moderator

I was really shocked to see this too. When the guys at DC dyno day were talking about a 25% drivetrain loss for their C3s I was definitely rolling my eyes. I guessed the usual 15% for manuals, maybe another 2 or 3% for the IRS.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:55 PM   #8
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
I argued with him about it first too, but he is including the full exhaust and the accessories in the 23%.

So it's not just 23% drivetrain loss, but including everything it's a 23% loss from gross power as he calls it. He's a smart guy, taught me a lot of what I know about tuning carbs. If it were anyone else I probably wouldn't buy it.

I can only image how much the autos are losing.
You mean like accessories under load? (A/C on)? That'd change it a little but not a lot. Also, if he went from open headers on the engine dyno to stock exhaust on the chassis, or even just inserting an old fashioned cat, that's a potential killer. Still count me in the skeptical here.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 04-28-2010, 11:17 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Yeah, straight headers to full exhaust, not even a loud exhaust. I doubt the AC was on, don't even know if he has a compressor.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:19 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Wheel horsepower is all that really matters anyways. Who cares what your motor can do on a bench. My Neon is faster than a Miata because I have less loss, it is what it is. I just thought it was interesting.