Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 04-03-2008, 12:40 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to bgn8711
Default the Buick Breakdown

Hey you guys this weekend is round 1 of the ripping apart of the Buick and thought I would let you guys know what the plans are....

new bearings
oil pan gasket
oil pump
rear main seal
head gaskets
timing chain set
head bolts
2800 stall speed torque converter
driver's side motor mount

This is assuming everything looks good when we rip it apart if the cam or cylinder walls look suspy the plan could get revamped considerably...am hoping it doesn't come to that though. Should take 2 weekends one apart and one back together is the plan as of now. I'll let you guys know how it comes along but should be a very busy 2 weekends but I think I'm going to learn an invaluable amount of information working alongside Neal. Hopefully I'll have it all back together to hit the track and lay down some decent #'s.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Good luck. Take pictures. I would HIGHLY recommend new rings if you're going to have it this far apart and push ever higher boost. To leave in the old stock rings seems like asking for trouble to me.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 04-03-2008, 03:20 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Good luck. Take pictures. I would HIGHLY recommend new rings if you're going to have it this far apart and push ever higher boost. To leave in the old stock rings seems like asking for trouble to me.
I'm with Ben, new rings for sure.

And run a thicker head gasket to drop your compression down so you can X that alcohol system and run as much boost as you want! You should be able to drop it a full point with just a thicker head gasket. 91 is all your car should need. Run a Cometic head gasket! If you don't I'm going to laugh at you when you blow another one.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:24 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
I'm with Ben, new rings for sure.

And run a thicker head gasket to drop your compression down so you can X that alcohol system and run as much boost as you want! You should be able to drop it a full point with just a thicker head gasket. 91 is all your car should need. Run a Cometic head gasket! If you don't I'm going to laugh at you when you blow another one.
You think a gasket will drop a full point of compression? Anywho, I think Brian wants to run meth, which will let him boost into oblivion.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 04-03-2008, 04:00 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
You think a gasket will drop a full point of compression? Anywho, I think Brian wants to run meth, which will let him boost into oblivion.
I know it can, when I spoke with a Cometic tech over the phone they recommended one that would for my engine.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:39 PM   #6

Neal posed the piston rings idea to me like this...if it needs rings its cuz the cylinder walls are fucked...if they are than we might as well re-build the whole motor. He says upon inspection he should know if they are good or not and if they are it should be fine. He's never had a ring problem..Morgan's car has 210k with no problems.... Neal knows his shite so I'm going with him on this one...
Old 04-04-2008, 02:22 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgn8711 View Post
Neal posed the piston rings idea to me like this...if it needs rings its cuz the cylinder walls are fucked...if they are than we might as well re-build the whole motor. He says upon inspection he should know if they are good or not and if they are it should be fine. He's never had a ring problem..Morgan's car has 210k with no problems.... Neal knows his shite so I'm going with him on this one...
Was it Neal or Morgan that blew a head gasket last time I was at the track?
Old 04-04-2008, 08:24 AM   #8

Brian me bucko.............RINGS!
Old 04-04-2008, 09:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Was it Neal or Morgan that blew a head gasket last time I was at the track?
Neal was the one who broke but it wasn't a HG. The idiots at the machine shops f'ed up the valves and one was stuck open...still went 10.80 haha. I know the rings the rings but If I do that I may as well re do the whole damn thing and I need a car it's my DD.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:23 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgn8711 View Post
Neal was the one who broke but it wasn't a HG. The idiots at the machine shops f'ed up the valves and one was stuck open...still went 10.80 haha. I know the rings the rings but If I do that I may as well re do the whole damn thing and I need a car it's my DD.
If you're doing all the bearings you are doing the whole damn thing. What head gasket are you using?!